• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Final Contested Hearing Adjournment?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Final Contested Hearing Adjournment?

Hi there,

I was wondering if anyone has any experience of this. I am helping my partner in his application for residency of his children. CAFCASS have already recommended that his daughter lives with us full time as she is very unhappy at home with her Mother. There is questionable emotional abuse going on and the case is expedited after the judge saw a letter from my daughter.

The case was supposed to have the final hearing today but the respondent had it adjourned as requested a two day hearing. I have a new date today of 19th and 20th August when the respondent is supposed to be going away on holiday. apparently that is the only week her husband can get off work. What is the likelihood of an adjournment a second time when the respondent has not declared a holiday? would the judge really adjourn it because she wants to go on holiday on those dates even if not in interests of children which she will claim they are looking forward to etc.

I;m pulling my hair out over all this. I feel the courts let her take advantage, she talked over me at the last directions, she filed statements a week late and them got the first hearing adjourned. Im terrified she wil do this again and wondered if there's anything I can do?

Thanks

J.
    Tags: None

Re: Final Contested Hearing Adjournment?

Welcome to LB, joDa,

I'm so sorry for your situation - and it's complicated, isn't it?

You will get good advice here - many beagles have been through similar heartbreak but all family situations are unique.

I will certainly be searching for help for you and there will no doubt be more practical wisdom forthcoming from others here.

Meanwhile, a virtual hug :hug:and huge sympathy FWIW x

Comment

The behaviour re the court will be taken into account in the decision making process, as will the CAFCASS officers recommendations.

Is your partner going to be represented in the hearing at all ? (are you acting on his behalf as Mackenzie friend ?) and is the respondent represented ?

If the Judge has already ordered the case be expedited because of concerns for the children and the respondent hasn't filed any unavailable dates then he may turn down her application, or if the holiday is only for that week and theres another date soon after it could be moved without causing detriment to the Children.

Are there concerns over the Childrens safety during the holiday?
      #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps

Comment

Thank you all for your replies already.

Amethyst no my partner will not be represented but his brother has been put forward as a McKenzie friend. He has experience with courts as a Detective Constable and for him to keep changing work dates giving his job is proving difficult. Yes the respondent is represented and will have a barrister.

I think it was expedited as my partner's daughter is unhappy and said as much in a letter to the judge but other than my daughter suffering emotional abuse which isn't enough for the court to grant an interim according to them an interim order has never been given.

Thanks

J.

Comment

Urgent Advice

Hey there,

I posted a little while about my partner's case. We had the final contested hearing cancelled on 18th july and was given dates for 18th and 19th August. The case is expedited so everything has been listed quickly to date.

We now have a problem with the ex trying to stall it. She had it relisted once from a one to two day hearing. She is now asking for another adjournment and for them not to relist it between 1st august to 17th Sep and from 1st to 10th Oct. I'm sorry but this seems to be taking the pee a little. My partner's daughter is deeply unhappy which CAFCASS identified but they don't seem to care about that. She is claiming a family holiday in that time and says her barrister is unavailable in those dates. The august listing also gives us a circuit judge and she has requested for a very specific district judge surely this is not allowed?

We are starting to feel like they are favouring her and that my partner will have an unfair trial. I have written an objection letter as knew she would try this. What is likelihood of this happening again? Is there anything I can do about it? 8 weeks is a ridiculous request for them to not relist in. Can they just adjourn every time she wants to go on holiday or go out for coffee?

I'm starting to have not faith in this system at all. It's been identified there's an unhappy child and questionable emotional abuse and no-one seems to a give to hoots about it.

Frustrated!

Thanks J

Comment

Re: Urgent Advice

Is your partner's daughter at school ? As those sound like school holiday dates (rather extended ones)

Have you been sent copies of the papers requesting the adjournment?
            #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Comment

Originally posted by Amethyst View Post
              Is your partner's daughter at school ? As those sound like school holiday dates (rather extended ones)

Have you been sent copies of the papers requesting the adjournment?

Yes I have a copy of papers and daughter is now on school holidays. She is claiming her barrister not available in those times.
              Thanks

Comment

Section 1 of the Children Act 1989 applies to all applications for orders concerning the upbringing of children. This means that –
                (1) the child's welfare is the court's paramount consideration;

(2) delay is likely to be prejudicial to the welfare of the child, and

(3) a court order shall not be made unless the court considers that making an order would be better for the child than making no order at all.
                #staysafestayhome

Comment

Do you know who her barrister is (eg. could you check that is the case?)

You could object to the request for adjournment (if you feel it is truly against the best interests of the child to delay further)

EDIT: Have checked and yes you can raise your objections to the Adjournment request. Your objections need to be wholly reasonable and concentrated on the interests of the child.

(also have merged threads)
                  Last edited by Amethyst; 25th July 2014, 13:13:PM.
                  #staysafestayhome

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                  Working...
                  X