• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

'EE' Phishing Scam Letter

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 'EE' Phishing Scam Letter

Hello Everyone,

I received a letter allegedly from 'EE' a few days ago stating I requested a replacement of the phone line at my property. I made no such request and the letter was addressed just to the 'occupier'.

Has anyone had a similar experience ?

A copy of this letter has been sent to the Serious Fraud Office after I contacted them.

Here is the content of the letter. I tried uploading it without success.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hello,

We recently received a request to replace the phone line at this address with our phone service, starting on [24/07/2014].

If you didn't make the request, and are not moving house on or before
    [24/07/2014]. then please give us a call on 0289 0446 574*.

If we don't hear from you within 8 days from the date stated on the letter, we'll start setting up the phone service.

Best regards,

Customer Support.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The letter carried 'EE' logos, but the envelope in was bereft of a company I.D.

The 0289 number appears to be based in Northern Ireland. It came with another number, prefix 0844, which was genuine.

Any comments are welcome.

Stephen.

P.S. This was placed on the wrong thread yesterday. Apologizes for that.
    Tags: None

Re: 'EE' Phishing Scam Letter

Hi,
    Be very, very wary about answering this type of letter.
    If EE were changing the line or service, then they would contact the actual customer, he or she who pays the bill.
    This is obviously a scam...
    The phone number given could very well be a 'premium rate' number.
    Best thing to do is......
    IGNORE IT.
    “The only man who sticks closer to you in adversity more than a friend, is a creditor.”

Comment

Thanks for replying Johnboy007.

We have received three more letters this week, 2 from EE and one from BT, querying the 'transfer of service'.

One letter has the name of the person who requested the transfer with a distinctively different address from ours, so it wasn't a scam as we first thought.

However, even though I informed EE that we had stopped the line transfer, that was on Monday, and given them the correct address, a broadband router arrived today, which we refused to accept. We have not been able to contact the neighbour so far, even though they are in residence.

It has left the possibility that the neighbour is possibly using our address to try and obtain credit.

We opened one letter by accident and it stated the person had ordered a rather expensive smartphone.

Comment

If you have reason to believe that your neighbour is using your address or other details to obtain goods or credit, you must report this.
        It amounts to attempted fraud.
        Visit this link. It is a police link where you can get advice on this problem.
        You can also report fraud or attempted fraud anonymously.
        http://www.actionfraud.police.uk/rep...report-a-fraud
        Good luck and let me know how you get on.
        :tinysmile_twink_t2:
        “The only man who sticks closer to you in adversity more than a friend, is a creditor.”

Comment

Thanks for that Johnboy007.

I will contact them today, and I will let you know what happens.

Comment

Originally posted by Johnboy007 View Post
            If you have reason to believe that your neighbour is using your address or other details to obtain goods or credit, you must report this.
            It amounts to attempted fraud.
            Visit this link. It is a police link where you can get advice on this problem.
            You can also report fraud or attempted fraud anonymously.
            http://www.actionfraud.police.uk/rep...report-a-fraud
            Good luck and let me know how you get on.
            :tinysmile_twink_t2:
            Sorry for the delay in responding Johnboy.

The matter has now been referred and the Police are investigating via Action Fraud.

The matter has been compounded by the fact, the same person has unbelievably tried to do the same thing again with EE.

EE are also investigating this person, and there is a second case number with Action Fraud, who told me to deal with this as Identity Fraud.

BT have also been informed as well, and they are keeping the eye on the situation.

The person involved has also ordered 'goods' as well to our address.

The cases are on-going.

Thanks for assistance in this.

Comment

Originally posted by stephen25000 View Post
              Sorry for the delay in responding Johnboy.

The matter has now been referred and the Police are investigating via Action Fraud.

The matter has been compounded by the fact, the same person has unbelievably tried to do the same thing again with EE.

EE are also investigating this person, and there is a second case number with Action Fraud, who told me to deal with this as Identity Fraud.

BT have also been informed as well, and they are keeping the eye on the situation.

The person involved has also ordered 'goods' as well to our address.

The cases are on-going.

Thanks for assistance in this.
              Great news for you............
              Hope it is resolved soon.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
              Working...
              X