• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Bailiffs in morning to take things from house

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bailiffs in morning to take things from house

Posted on behalf of new user

Hi just wondering if anyone can help I have the courts enforcement people coming tomorrow to take some items I know they can take tv etc can they take cooker washing machine or my furniture I have 2 childen so really need the kitchen things thanks for your help
    #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps
    Tags: None

Re: Bailiffs in morning to take things from house

We need more info.

What is the debt for?

Have they visited before?

Given the urgency of this matter, the most important thing that should be relayed to the debtor is that provided that there has been no previous agreement, then the debtor is not obliged to let these people in. Under no circumstances should they be allowed into the property. If the debtor has a car, it should be hidden a good 5 mins away from the house.

In many cases, the bailiffs never return on the day that they say they are going to but to be safe, don't leave anything of value outside & don't answer the door when they knock. If you prefer not to be there then go out for the day

Comment

I've asked and linked her to this thread.
      #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Comment

hi
        If they are High Court Enforcement Officer

http://www.hceoa.org.uk/faq/have-you...t-officer.html

if normal baillifs

https://www.gov.uk/your-rights-baili...bailiff-visits

What bailiffs can and can’t take

If you let a bailiff into your home, they may take some of your belongings to sell.
        Bailiffs can take luxury items - eg a TV or games console.
        They can’t take:
        • things you need - eg your clothes, cooker, fridge, furniture or work tools
        • someone else’s belongings - eg your partner’s computer

You’ll have to prove that someone else’s goods don’t belong to you
        gives some good advice. I dont think that can take anything that you directly need to live, ( unless the warrent is for that item specificaly ( like cooker, washer and cooking untencils. )

TV ect, luxury goods yes, anything they consider.

If they are high court officers and not baillifs, be very honest with them, they arte a lot more understanding than baillifs. Do you have a car ?
        crazy council ( as in local council,NELC ) as a member of the public, i don't get mad, i get even

Comment

Thankyou for your help the debt was from council tax was paying 40.00 pw then got another letter from them to say theres a new debt and the amount owed and payments were to go up a enforcement will come out to see me also on this phone call they said the weekly payment will be over a 100.00pw no way could I do this so had to wait for someone to see me I was under the impression from the phone call that I did not need to pay the 40.00pw until someone came and saw me which I found out today I was wrong hope this is ok thankyou

#staysafestayhome

Comment

I'm sorry-This is quite vague. I'm going to try to second guess what has happened.

I'm guessing that an agreement was signed under the old Schedule 5 fees and that the £40 payment plan was set up. IF this is correct, this case will remain under the old rules. If the payments have stopped, the debtor will be exposed to a "van fee".

As she has received a letter for the latest arrears, the compliance stage will have kicked in. This exposes her to the potential of an enforcement fee if the bailiffs visit.

What I am worried about here is that they will visit once & charge both the van fee and the enforcement fee together (this will come to around £400) In reality, they can charge for one or the other but not both and the LGO will support this.

Even at this late stage, I would try to get a letter off (email would be better). Send it to the bailiffs but copy in the council.

Outline the situation and state that you wish to address this debt but cannot possibly afford the repayments that the bailiffs have asked for. Outline the financial position that you are currently in and ask for a payment plan that will accommodate both debts. Ask that all recovery action be suspended whilst this request is being dealt with.

Obviously, if I've guessed wrong regarding the situation, the debtor needs to advise.

Comment

Hope things went ok this morning –thinking of you. :_tighthug__by_darkm

An optimist is someone who falls off the Empire State Building, and after 50 floors says, 'So far so good'!
              ~ Anonymous

Comment

Is there an update to this?

Comment

Wondering too Ploddertom. You know I could not stop thinking about this through the night.

An optimist is someone who falls off the Empire State Building, and after 50 floors says, 'So far so good'!
                  ~ Anonymous

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                  Working...
                  X