• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Civil Enforcement County Court Claim Received

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Civil Enforcement County Court Claim Received

Hello All.
    I've read a number of posts on here and am looking for some help.
    Myself and my wife parked on the Co-Op car park in Whitby on 18/5/13 when we were there for a short break in nearby Scarborough. The co-op had signs outside (which we didn't photograph) which stated that customers received 2 hours free parking. We didnt shop there immediately but paid £4 for 4 hours parking to go into the town and then returned before the 4 hours were up, used the store for some groceries (activating the 2hours) and then left. We then received letters from CE claiming we had parked for 4 hours 22 minutes and therefore had breached the time served and were given a penalty. After reading advice on numerous forums and websites we basically ignored all the letters received and binned them. Today we have received a county court claim for £130 plus £35 costs. As you can imagine after over a year we now dont have any of the receipts to prove this as, at the time, we hadn't done anything wrong in our eyes and still maintain this.
    I want to dispute and defend this but basically haven't got a clue where to start. They mention a "contract" in the papers sent but as far as I'm concerned its basically a deterrant penalty not a contract so not enforceable.
    Can anyone offer some guidance please?
    Thanks.
    Tags: None

Re: Civil Enforcement County Court Claim Received

Log on to the MCoL site and acknowledge service.

Then contact steve.murrells@co-operative.coop and express how disappointed you are to be in court as such a loyal customer blah blah blah.

If your 33 days from the date of the claim form (after AoS) is nearing the end and the Co-op haven't sorted it come back for help.

M1

Comment

Thanks for that.

I have sent an e-mail to Steve Murrells so awaiting an answer from that,
      I've registered on MCoL but there is no password on my claim forms received, just a claim number.
      I was going to fill the form in and send it back via e-mail but I'm nit sure what to write in defence...

Comment

Don't worry too much about a defence yet. You can read the free guide http://www.parking-prankster.com/court-claim.html which is tailored to parking eye but much of it is what you'll need. http://www.parking-prankster.com/sample-defence.html

The password should be on the right of the claim form just over half way down.

M1

Comment

Thanks greatly for the links I will have a good look at them.
          There is no password I can see anywhere on the claim form. Just the basic details on the first page and the claim number is a sticker over the box with a barcode and what I assume is the claim number..

Comment

In which case phone the court on monday to get an email address to use :okay:

The claim number should be top right hand corner. Password above the box which has amount claimed, court fee, solicitors costs, total amount.

M1

Comment

Hi There
              Received an e-mail today from the Co-Op saying they will pay CE directly the full amount as settlement of the issue.
              Delighted they have offered to do this. You would think the amount they must be shelling out on these matters means they would do something about them and get rid.
              Is it best to inform the courts that this will be settled out of court or wait until payment has been made by the Co-Op and notification of this is received.
              Thanks.

Comment

Good news, however you should proceed until confirmed in writing.

Have you filed acknowledgement of service ? If so what is the date on the court form + 33 days ?

M1

Comment

Yes I filed it by e-mail the day after and got a response receipt back from them.
                  The date of service stamp said 4th July but the notes say 28 days from day of service.
                  I assume I would need to reply to them one way or the other by 1st August in that case?

Comment

Date of service is 5 days from the date on the claim form + 28 for filing a defence, so a total of 33 days. I'd say 6th :okay:

Come back if no confirmation of payment from CEL with about a week to spare.

M1

Comment

Hi There

Just an update that the Co-Op sent me confirmation that a cheque payment had been sent to CEL on the 24th July.
                      Obviously I don't think that the payment is going to go through before I am due to file an admission/defence to the court as I submitted acknowledgment on the 5th July.
                      I'm looking for advice as to what to do at this point. Do I contact the court and see what is the best way to go about this or do I file some sort of defence until the payment clears with CEL?
                      Thanks.

Comment

Phone up Cel tomorrow and ask if payment has been received. If not ask if they will agree an extension to the period for filing your defence pursuant to CPR 15.5 as payment is on way. Get the extension agreement emailed to you and then forward it to the court.

M1

Comment

OK Thanks, I will do that. Will CEL contact the court to cancel the claim after payment is done or will I need to contact the courts myself?

Comment

They should but i wouldn't trust them so would phone midweek to check.

M1

Comment

Have tried all morning to get through to them at CEL with no joy at all, both numbers I've tried have some impossible to bypass Automated line and they arent responding to e-mail.
                              Struggling with this now and don't know what to do for the best. Any advice would be welcome.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                              Working...
                              X