• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

swift credit

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• swift credit

I'm wondering if anybody out there can help . I got home the other day to find a letter posted through the door from Swift credit. it was a final notice 'notice of attendance to taking control of goods. I rang the agent who had left this letter to explain that this was the first I had heard of his company but was told I had ben sent letter and phone call that I had ignored . hadn't got any letter and don't know about any phone call . he said that the outstanding balance of 359 needed to be paid by the end of the day or he'd be back to seize goods. I rang his office and tried explaining that I've just split from my wife ad to borrow money to move into my flat only to be told that they can prove that they posted the letter but I cant prove I didn't get it. I rang back later and spoke to a supervisor who eventually gave me till the end of the month to pay,I think I was so stressed at the time would have agreed to nearly anything[ my kids were due over to stay that night ] I rang them back to see if I could split it over 2 month because I cant realistically afford to pay it in 1 lump as well as everything else I need to pay out . no joy . I emailed them explaining everything and was told the count would be put on hold while it was looked into , I had to ring them to see what was going on to be told the person I had emailed finishes early o Fridays and yes it all has to be paid tomorrow . any suggestions or advise ? feeling VERY STRESSED and WORRIED thanks in advance
    Tags: None

Re: swift credit

What is the alleged debt for?

It is strange as the regulations allow for Enforcement Agent fees of £75 when the debt is passed to them for enforcement. They have to contact you, letter is permissible and proof of postage will carry assumed delivery, giving 7 clear days notice (excluding Sundays) to contact them either to settle the debt in full or come to a repayment agreement.

If you don't do this you then move to the Enforcement Stage and once they visit, as they have in your case, they add a further £235 in fees. The total fees charged just by the enforcement agents are therefore £310 at this stage.

You state the EA's want a balance of £359 which would mean they're chasing a debt of just £49 which is highly irregular.

You may want to do some expploring with the enforcement company to find out what this debt is for.

Comment

Swift also chase unpaid Magistrate Court Fines in Wales I believe - now part of Marston Group if memory serves me correct.

Comment

Originally posted by Wombats View Post
        What is the alleged debt for?

It is strange as the regulations allow for Enforcement Agent fees of £75 when the debt is passed to them for enforcement. They have to contact you, letter is permissible and proof of postage will carry assumed delivery, giving 7 clear days notice (excluding Sundays) to contact them either to settle the debt in full or come to a repayment agreement.

If you don't do this you then move to the Enforcement Stage and once they visit, as they have in your case, they add a further £235 in fees. The total fees charged just by the enforcement agents are therefore £310 at this stage.

You state the EA's want a balance of £359 which would mean they're chasing a debt of just £49 which is highly irregular.

You may want to do some expploring with the enforcement company to find out what this debt is for.
        The debt is the end of no tv licence fine , I knew it was there but ever got round to paying it off due to personal problems and then forgot all about it . Would offering to pay the court do me any good ? Somebody said that they may take the debt back in some circumstances

Comment

You may find this difficult if you just forgot to pay it. Has there been a change in your circumstances since the original fine was made, if so you could appeal on those grounds but if so must do it as quickly as you can.

Comment

Originally posted by ploddertom View Post
            You may find this difficult if you just forgot to pay it. Has there been a change in your circumstances since the original fine was made, if so you could appeal on those grounds but if so must do it as quickly as you can.
            I've recently separated from my wife , and who do I appeal to ?

Comment

Write to the fines office at the court which holds the fine, tell them about your situation and make repayment. It's a good idea to enclose a statement of means (income and expenditure) so they can see your financial situation.

It's possible you may have to attend a court hearing, but if you give the court ALL the details you can about the situation, they may accept it.

Note they are under no obligation to do this whatsoever.

Comment

Originally posted by Wombats View Post
                Write to the fines office at the court which holds the fine, tell them about your situation and make repayment. It's a good idea to enclose a statement of means (income and expenditure) so they can see your financial situation.

It's possible you may have to attend a court hearing, but if you give the court ALL the details you can about the situation, they may accept it.

Note they are under no obligation to do this whatsoever.
                Thanks for the advice I'll try ringing the court to check whether I can do it via email because today is the day Swift have given me to pay by . Thanks a lot will let you know I get on

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                Working...
                X