• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Solicitor's Letter

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Solicitor's Letter

Hi All

I haven't used this site so please be patient
    Brief history, about 5 years ago I started an unenforceable claim on a credit card (Sainsburys Bank) and after about a year I received a letter from Cabot stating they had purchased the debt, I DID NOT receive a letter of assignment.
    Since then I have received a number of letters from different agencies, Albion, Fire, Marlin, Wright Hassle, Scotcall and I even had a visit from someone from Scotcall who spoke to my lady as I was at work. He explained that I was not expecting him but that I owed some money that he was there to collect, this caused me some issues at home.
    I sent CPRs to all of these amd they stopped and Cabot started sending letters again.
    I recently received a solicitors' letter from Martin Clarke Solitors and the opening line of the letter stated, 'we have been instructed by our client, Cabot Financial, to start court procedings agains you'.
    I sent these a CPR and they responded stating that proceedings have not been issued against me and they are awaiting instruction from their client.
    I phoned the Solicitors Regulatory Authority (SRA,org.uk0 and they saaid I need to make a complaint against the firm and let them answer before they can do anything.
    I raise this as the address the solicitors are based is the same address as Marlin Financial Services and I cannot find the solicitors when I do a search and after seeing the news about Wonga today, I wondered if this was a similar 'scare tactic'
    Anyway, I have called the FO and they have sent Cabot a letter asking them to explain if they are taking me to court or not but I would appreciate any further advice you could offer on any next steps.
    Has anyone heard of these solitors?
    Do they exist?
    Has anyone else received a similar letter?

Many thanks

Lloydiow
    Tags: None

Re: Solicitor's Letter

Why do you say the claim is unenforceable?

Comment

Hi
      there are no Ts and Cs and the signed agreement was wholly illegible

The solicitors are Mortimer Clarke and it does appear that they are connected to Marlin Financial

I will not be able to respond for a while as I have just been called out

thanks
      Lloydiow

Comment

Hi All

update, Cabot have responded to the FOS sending them a letter and they state they have no knowledge of the letter and cannot uphold my complaint. Under the terms of their Complaints Procedure this is their final response.
        My account is currently with their agend, Marlin Financial and I need to call them to arrange payment blah blah.
        The Solicitors letter states 'our client Cabot Financial' so as Cabot are claiming they are not aware of this letter, any advise on what I should do next please?
        I will attempt to upload the letters later today
        Thanks
        Lloydiow

Comment

Hi, how do I attach files please?

Comment

Originally posted by lloydiow View Post
            Hi, how do I attach files please?

http://www.legalbeagles.info/forums/...)&goto=newpost
            #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps

Comment

Hi All

please see original letter from Mortimer clark (2 pages)
              I sent them a CPR and they responsded that legal proceedings have not been started, they are awaiting their client's instruction. I left some personal details on this so have not uploaded it
              I spoke to FOS as I believe this letter was a 'scare tactic' and they wrote to Cabot asking them to answer my complaint and Cabot's response is also attached. Unbelieveably, Cabot claim they do not know anything about the solitor's letter
              What action should I take?
              Should I make a formal complaint to FOS?

I also attach a copy of a calling card left by an agent from Scotcall who called at my house when I was out. He spoke to my partner and told her that I was not expecting him but that I owed a lot of money and he was here to collect it. She was understandably a little upset (to say the least) and caused us some relationship problems.
              I just wondered if this is permitted?

Thanks for the anticipated assistance

lloydiow

Scotcall Home Visit.pdfCabot Response.pdfMortimer Clarke original.pdfMortimer Clarke original p2.pdf

Comment

All

I have complained to FOS and will update when I have any news

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Support LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
                See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
                X