• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.
  • If you need direct help with your employment issue you can contact us at admin@legalbeaglesgroup.com for further assistance. This will give you access to “off-forum” support on a one-to- one basis from an experienced employment law expert for which we would welcome that you make a donation to help towards their time spent assisting on your matter. You can do this by clicking on the donate button in the box below.

Possibly not being paid proper overtime and holiday reuqest issue

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Possibly not being paid proper overtime and holiday reuqest issue

Hi all

I work for a major/popular/well known high street chain in one of their stores. I have been working there since December 2011 (2 and half years now). I am currently having a problem which I've just discovered looking through my contract/colleague handbook that I have potentially been underpaid massively! I have only recieved 1 contract which although starting in December 2011 I received it and signed it on 29/12/12 which still has some of my old information on it, the contract I have states 7 hour contract, I currently am on a 15 hour contract but have never received another updated contract nor signed signed a new one, just agreed to doing 15hours verbally.

Im currently getting paid my base amount for base hours and overtime, my contract states under Hours of Work :
    Your standard working week will be 38.75 hours, unless otherwise specified in Part B (Part B says 7hours) , your core hours will be directed by your manager. ....talks about paid breaks..... Saturdays, Sundays and Bank Holidays are considered to be normal working days unless (in the case of Sundays) you have opted out under the Sunday Trading Act 1994. You may be required to extend your hours as necessary in order to meet the full requirements of your job and the business, subject to the provision of the Working Time Regulations of 1998. You will only be entitled to overtime if specified in Part B (Part B also states ' Any hours worked over your contracted hours will be paid in line with over time rules ' I shall get onto overtime rules next)
    Overtime rules state (From the colleague handbook):
    Extra Hours worked must be agreed by your line manager and are paid at at single time up to 38.75 hours. An hours worked above 38.75 hours are paid at time and a half for any working day. Time off in lieu can be substituted for pay with the agreement of both the colleague and the store manager
    Now what I want to know and want to know if I have a case for is that my contract says my standard working week will be 38.75 hours unless other wise specified in part B, Part B says 7 hours, so my standard working week is 7 hours. Is my handbook talking about standard working week? If so any hours I do above 7 hours I should be getting time and a half for? If this is the case, do I have a case to go through ACAS and the legal side of things to claim that money back which I could be owed/entitled to?. Please note that I have requested under the data protection act all timesheets that I are related to me dating back from the date my employment commenced

I also have a issue with a holiday request which I requested in January for 2 weeks in August, the original request was turned down because someone else had already had those times (I spoke to the person who had the time off and they said they got it approved last year), At the time of me submitting the request I didnt see any holiday request from this person, few weeks later I see that there is a holiday request from this person on the wall but I dont know what the dates were. We had a new manager who had a look at the holiday rota and said he'd have a look and see, he got back to me and said he cant really see any chance of me getting it but will look deeper into it , and then I never heard anything back. So since then (probably talking April time) I started looking at new jobs etc, eventually got offered a new job and was able to get the holiday I was offered, now I went to my line manager (department manager, assistant store manager) and said to him, I want to stay at the company but I can only do that if I get the time off, if not I'll have to leave, he said he'd chat to me and have a look tommorow and see what he can do (I have text evidence and screenshot evidence of this conversation), we had a look and he authorised the time off for me. I've then found out today that through a colleague that my authorised holiday has been revoked by another assistant store manager, she has not even told me yet, ive only found out through a colleague. I've looked in my colleague handbook and contract about this (I have in the message sent to the store manager said that this is in breach of my confidentiality, telling people about something that relates to me without actually informing me first).

My colleague hand book states:
    All Holiday must be authorised, in advance with your line manager to ensure adequate coverage within your team throughout the year
    as far as im concered I contacted my line manager about this, got it authorized in advance to. procedure has been followed. There is nothing in my contract nor colleague handbook that states holiday can be revoked at any time by management for any reason , simply states what I have stated above. I have contacted the store manager about this earlier on WhatsApp who is not happy and told me that my line manager should not of authorised it and that it is the store manager who authorises holidays (not what my handbook states) he has said he will talk to me tommorow.

Where do I stand with both issues?

Thanks in advice.
    Last edited by moonpeach; 24th June 2014, 21:17:PM.
    Tags: None

Re: Possibly not being paid proper overtime and holiday reuqest issue

I don't think you're entitled to time and a half for your extra hours. It states that any overtime will be paid at single time up to 38.75 hours. Currently you are only working 15 hours per week so that seems clear to me (sorry if I'm missing something).

As I understand it, provided that they give you adequate notice (I think this is 3 weeks but don't quote me on that) they can revoke your holidays if the business needs demand it. Had you already booked a holiday before asking for the time off? I have to say I think you're in the wrong here on both counts.

Comment

Although my payslips say "Hours/Week 15.00" . so im assuming that my working week is 15 hours?

Comment

Well if you've been working 15 hours for a substantial amount of time, that is in effect your contract - it becomes a contract in practice (I think is the term), regardless of whether you've had an updated contract. However in money terms it doesn't mean you're entitled to any more pay.

Comment

I've been working 15 hours for few months yes, my contract (And the only contract I've received, never had a updated one) still says 7 hours, payslip says 15. Looking at the payslip it's saying my hours per week is 15, assuming that is my working week is 15 hours and anything above 15 hours is paid time and a half.

Comment

But it still says in the handbook that extra hours UP TO 38.75 hours per week are paid at single time. Therefore anything between 15-38.75 hours per week is still paid at single time. If you go over 38.75 then you get time and a half.

Comment

Just had a quick look on the net regarding holidays and from what people have said (Cant verify), once the holiday has been approved, thats the end of the matter and they cannot revoke it.

https://uk.answers.yahoo.com/questio...0080742AAQ5fy0
              Depends upon your contractual obligations.
              They cannot legally ask for proof of booking of any holiday, as it could contain confidential information pertaining to you which they have no right to see.

Employers DO NOT have the immediate right to schedule / revoke holidays at whim, to do so is a breach of your fundamental employment rights, as you have earned holiday as part of your contract.

They can refuse holiday on the grounds of "business needs" if you try to book it during a busy period (Some companies have "No holiday periods" like Xmas), but once it is booked and agreed with your employer, they have then entered into an agreement with you that is bound by their contractual obligations to you as an employee and by your rights therein.

If they try to cancel or threaten you then consult the bullying and harassment policies, speak to a Union official and then go down the road of constructive dismissal / discrimination if it gets really nasty.
              Then reading up on http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/....php?t=2521793

Comment

No, that is wrong. Look at this:-

https://www.gov.uk/holiday-entitleme...oking-time-off-

Legally they can revoke your holiday but must give you notice equal to the length of the holiday. So, for a fortnight in August they are well within their rights.

Comment

Just rang ACAS for their advice who said that they can revoke holiday if they have a valid reason and in my situation must provide 4 weeks notice (Which they have not so far as I have had nothing from the person who cancelled it nor a letter), so if neccesary i could raise a grevience

Comment

ACAS are not reading the same government-maintained website on employment rights as me

To be honest I wouldn't raise a grievance. They have plenty of time to revoke their authorisation; if they don't, that would be the time to act. At the moment you have nothing to be aggrieved about. It sucks but unfortunately that's how it is.

Comment

I looked at gov.uk and nothing is saying about revoking holidays really hence why I went to ACAS for advice. They have not given me any notice at all so far, I have heard this story informally from a colleague, checked the rota and my name has been crossed out but nothing has been told to me formally either verbally or informally, so the time frame they have to give me is still ticking

Comment

Here you go. From the link I posted upthread. The bit in bold is what you want:-4. Booking time off

The general notice period for taking leave is at least twice as long as the amount of leave a worker wants to take (eg 2 days’ notice for 1 day’s leave), unless the contract says something different.
                        An employer can refuse a leave request but they must give as much notice as the amount of leave requested, eg 2 weeks’ notice if the leave requested was 2 weeks.

Comment

Of which they have not given me any notice as of yet, and of which they would have to provide a valid reason, and resources would not be one as i've been told by my line manager that resources can be sourced elsewhere

Comment

You are pre-empting them. They have until 2 weeks before you are due to go on holiday to revoke your leave. You have no idea what reason they will give if they do revoke and your opinion of what resources they have may not necessarily be correct. It seems your line manager was incorrect when he authorised your leave so I'd be careful about taking their word as gospel. You cannot possibly raise a grievance at this stage; they have not done anything illegal / unethical yet.

In your shoes, I would do this:- ask my line manager whether my leave has been revoked and, if it has, suck it up. Yes, you could wait until it's too late for them to legally revoke, but the likelihood is that they will revoke in time, leaving you less time to re-arrange your own holiday. I ask again - had you booked the holiday before it was authorised once and for all? If so, I'm afraid you only have yourself to blame if you lose money.

If by some strange set of affairs they do leave it too late to revoke the authorisation, you putting your foot down and going anyway will just mark you down as a troublemaker. Unfair maybe, but realistic. And they could still sack you - it costs money to go to an employment tribunal and to be honest your case isn't great. You basically blackmailed them by saying you would leave if you didn't get the holiday you wanted.

Comment

They have to give me 4 weeks notice , the notice they have to provide is double the time I have requested which is 4 weeks, and that is what ACAS have said to me. I have in a way been put a situation where I've been forced to change jobs to get the holiday request which could be constructive dismissal

Although employers can refuse to give leave at a certain time, they can’t refuse to let workers take the leave at all.
                              Employer cant refuse me to take the leave requested

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
                              See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
                              X