• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Intestate Questions

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Intestate Questions

My cousin was sent a letter from an heir hunter company stating that his mother, my mother and their cousin could be entitled to an inheritance from a half uncle who died recently-he was a childless bachelor. The company mentioned the three potential heirs and has obtained my mothers address here in Canada and advised they will be sending her a letter as well.

This has now led to some questions on our part and I am wondering if someone may be able to answer them.

1. The letter mentioned my mother, her sister and another cousin. My mother says there are 6 other cousins on this side (the paternal side) that should be contacted - my mother has no idea if they are still living. If they are deceased, do their issues stand to inherit?

2. Three of the family members in this class have been identified, what is the procedure if they sign with the heir hunter and the other six or their issues - if eligible - do not? Are they able to make a claim on their own?

3. What has happened to the deceased's personal property? He passed away late 2013. If he owned a home would his personal belongings be stored somewhere?

4. Is it possible to find out the value of the estate through a Grant of Letters of Administration or any other way?

5. I read that a claim can be made up to 12 years after the death, or up to 30 years in some cases. If not all eligible heirs are located, what happens to their portion of the estate?

Any information would be of help!
    Tags: None

Re: Intestate Questions

Hi and welcome Nuxgirl, I have never had any dealings or indeed know anyone who has dealt with a Heir Hunter. I would imagine they are very thorough in their work. Here is a link that may answer some of your questions http://www.heirhunters-association.o...php?view=faq#7 I would think someone will pop a long soon to offer more and better help.
    Enaid x

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
    Working...
    X