• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Duplicate Buildings and Contents Insurance

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Duplicate Buildings and Contents Insurance

Hi all.

I have found recently that I have ended up with duplicated buildings and contents insurance due to the 'you don't have to do anything' renewal letter. I hadn't realised until now that my old insurance with Endsleigh had been renewed and continued to be collected from my bank account.

I shopped around and found a better deal back in July and set up insurance with Heath Lambert for my home. Hence, since July 07 I have been paying for 2 lots of buildings and contents insurance - oops!

Anyhow, I was wondering if I may have any recourse from the legal aspect of duplicate insurances - ie it is against the law to duplicate your home insurance; and may be able to request a full or partial refund of the premiums.

My previous insurance was changed because I discovered that the old buildings policy did not cover me due to evidence of subsidence to the property. So the old Endsleigh policy did not provide cover for the buildings anyhow.

Any help or advice will be appreciated.

Many Thanks

Chris

Re: Duplicate Buildings and Contents Insurance

I don't think it is against the law to duplicate home insurance, but did you cancel the insurance with the original provider, ie Endsleigh?

Comment

Nattie

I was under the impression that it was illegal, but maybe I am wrong?

The previous insurance was not cancelled - it was an oversight on my part partially due to a change of bank account at the same time.

Comment

Holding duplicate insurance is definitely not illegal, but it is not permissable to claim a full settlement on each policy in the event of a loss.

Insurance follows the principle of indemnity whereby the insurance should restore you to the preloss position.

In practise, at the time of loss, the insurer will ask you if there is any other insurance in place. If cover is duplicated, each insurer will pay a proportion of the loss relative to each policy's sum insured at risk.

Bottom line, absolutely no benefit in dupliacting cover whatsoever and many policies will carry an exclusion of cover in the event of any separate cover being in place.

H

Comment

Helford

Thanks very much for the clarification. However, my intention is not to keep both policies, rather to terminate the one with Endsleigh whom renewed the policy (and the direct debits with my old bank account - hence the reason it has gone unnoticed for so long).

I was seeking advice on whether there was any way of getting the premiums, or part thereof, refunded on the policy that Endsleigh renewed. I fully appreciate that I failed to act on the renewal letter and further failed to notice the direct debits leaving my old, unused bank account.

Thanks

Chris

Comment

Hi

Unfortunately not, it was a genuine mistake by you that led to continuation of the original insurance.

sorry.

Comment

Position understood.

I would suggest that you write to Endsleigh and enclose a photocopy of the replacement policy schedule showing the inception date and ask them to cancel the original policy, retrospectively if they possibly can. Basically appeal to their better nature.

It's your mistake, fair enough, but it's not an unusual situation and it is worth a try.

H

Comment

Thanks guys. I'll get the letter sent ASAP and see how they respond.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                Working...
                X