• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

The End Of The Road For The Paper Tax Disc

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: The End Of The Road For The Paper Tax Disc

That is a fair comment BB, and opens up an entirely different discussion for another time. Do you know what other countries do over things like the disability element of fuel duty, or do they just make qualifying disabled people pay the same as everyone else?

I am not sure about them overestimating the number of uninsured vehicles on the road. Certainly my family have, within the past 10 years, been involved in not at fault accidents with uninsured vehicles on no fewer than three occasions. Also, while I live in an extremely beautiful area, it is an area of high deprivation as jobs are scarce. The number of people who drive uninsured known to me personally is astonishing, but what do you do when you have to live among these people? (Same with benefit theft!)

I think there are loads of uninsured drivers on the roads, but only have personal experience on which to base that. I could well be wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by Tools View Post
      One of the core reasons is to reduce operating costs to the DVLA/Treasury. An added bonus is that it makes it harder for unlicensed, uninsured drivers to use a vehicle on the road without detection, my own opinion is that it is a good move and brings the system up to speed with todays consumer purchase habits. I know many will disagree for varying reasons, which is why I authored the piece, to get a healthy discussion months before the changes came into operation. ALL views are welcomed, whether I agree with them or not.
      Sorry, Tools, I just can't see this - I would've thought the opposite? :confused2:

Also, on the fuel duty thingy - we already have the highest fuel taxes in the world (http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/c...xes-world.html) and in addition to the groups already mentioned it would be yet another hammering for people who live in the country, where the infrastructure has been systematically destroyed over the last couple of decades......:tinysmile_kiss_t4:

Comment

Originally posted by Wombats View Post
        That is a fair comment BB, and opens up an entirely different discussion for another time. Do you know what other countries do over things like the disability element of fuel duty, or do they just make qualifying disabled people pay the same as everyone else?

I am not sure about them overestimating the number of uninsured vehicles on the road. Certainly my family have, within the past 10 years, been involved in not at fault accidents with uninsured vehicles on no fewer than three occasions. Also, while I live in an extremely beautiful area, it is an area of high deprivation as jobs are scarce. The number of people who drive uninsured known to me personally is astonishing, but what do you do when you have to live among these people? (Same with benefit theft!)

I think there are loads of uninsured drivers on the roads, but only have personal experience on which to base that. I could well be wrong.
        I have a feeling everyone pays the same for fuel. Social Security benefits, however, are more generous than they are in the UK, so I would presume this offsets the high cost of fuel.

I have been the victim of one uninsured driver who had not even passed a driving test. The owner of the car that collided with mine had a police record for Handling Stolen Goods as long as your arm and allowed the driver to drive knowing he had not passed a driving test. The Motor Insurers' Bureau (MIB) tried every way they could to wriggle out of paying, including lying through their teeth. They settled in the end, but only after some of my former colleagues paid the Claims Manager of an insurance company acting for MIB a visit for a less-than-friendly chat.
        Life is a journey on which we all travel, sometimes together, but never alone.

Comment

Originally posted by MissFM View Post
          In addition to the groups already mentioned it would be yet another hammering for people who live in the country, where the infrastructure has been systematically destroyed over the last couple of decades......:tinysmile_kiss_t4:
          Why would having to pay for the tax disc on fuel destroy the infrastructure of the countryside dwellers (of whom I am one ) any more than having to buy one in a post office which might require a separate and possibly inconveniently long journey? (Sorry no wooden spoon stirrer smiley!!!):tinysmile_twink_t2:

Comment

Originally posted by Wombats;441328[B
            ]Why would having to pay for the tax disc on fuel destroy the infrastructure of the countryside dwellers[/B] didn't say that - said it's already dismantled (of whom I am one ) any more than having to buy one in a post office which might require a separate and possibly inconveniently long journey? (Sorry no wooden spoon stirrer smiley!!!):tinysmile_twink_t2:
            Doh, Wombats!

Because we use more fuel, because we have no option but to drive if we are to lead any kind of existence that interacts physically with the rest-of-the-world, because we don't have the luxury of public transport within convenient reach.... or am I completely misunderstanding the proposal?:tinysmile_kiss_t4:

Comment

Germany had insurance and ved as separate items and you can see the little stickers on german number plates .

Comment

Loving the comments and views, keep them coming.

To answer a few points so far, scrapping road tax and imposing an additional levy on fuel isn't an option, it has far reaching consequences way beyond penalising low use drivers and VED exempt vehicles such as Disabled drivers and historic vehicles.

The biggest issue with that idea is the road transport industry, the additional costs of running heavy goods vehicles, one simple example (there are many others) is the supermarket delivery lorry. Any increase in fuel cost dramatically affects the prices of goods on the shelves, and would penalise everyone at the checkout. The detriment to industry and the already fragile economy would be devastating, so that rules out that idea.

Figures estimate (so far as they can be accurate with the DVLA's track record of incompetence) that of the approx 35 million vehicles on the UK roads, approximately 6% are being driven either unlicensed, untaxed, uninsured, or do not have a valid MOT certificate, that's 2.1 million.

Should we be paying extra on our fuel, shopping etc for these? Or do we encourage measures such as the new VED scheme that will reduce that number, even if only in a small way. Yes there will be cock ups by the DVLA, that's a given, but having that bank statement showing a DD going out is one extra bit of evidence to throw back at them rather than hunting around for that post office receipt. It should also reduce the number of people receiving letters for a vehicles they sold 2 years ago.
                Any opinions I give are my own. Any advice I give is without liability. If you are unsure, please seek qualified legal advice.

IF WE HAVE HELPED YOU PLEASE CONSIDER UPGRADING TO VIP - click here

Comment

Originally posted by MissFM View Post
                  Doh, Wombats!

Because we use more fuel, because we have no option but to drive if we are to lead any kind of existence that interacts physically with the rest-of-the-world, because we don't have the luxury of public transport within convenient reach.... or am I completely misunderstanding the proposal?:tinysmile_kiss_t4:

I accept the argument against adding the duty to fuel on other grounds with no problems, so discussing this is kind of academic. Having said that, I think you are completely misunderstanding the proposal re adding the VED to fuel on my original suggestion.

Given both you and I are country dwellers, we both need transport to live. Personally speaking I knew the infrastructure when I moved here, so any downside would be self-inflicted. That aside, if our nearest respective towns of any substance are, say, 10 miles away, if you have a nice economical car that does 50 mpg you can drive there and back, fully tax-disked, five times on two gallons of fuel. I have a gas guzzler which only does 20mpg, I can drive there and back only twice on two gallons of fuel. We both live in the country, we both do the same journey to the town and back, but I, rightly, pay a lot more than you as I choose to run a thirsty car. If you then share your journey with a neighbour to do a shop, you're saving a fortune over me.

That's the sort of point I was arguing, but it was defeated on alternate grounds.

Again the whole living in the country issue opens up an entirely different, and very interesting discussion.

Comment

This balances up part of this discussion if it works in practice:

http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/c...-UK-roads.html

Comment

Interesting to see that article continues to peddle the myth that charges like this new one for lorries, or VED, goes towards paying for our roads and their maintenance.
                      In fact of course it just goes into the general taxation pot, and is then divvied up.

I think I read somewhere that only about 20% of taxes collected from road users is actually spent on the roads. (that figure may well have been plucked out of the air:tinysmile_grin_t

Comment

http://imgur.com/YEBFG

Last edited by Tools; 9th June 2014, 23:12:PM. Reason: IFYPFY

Comment

It works when you copy and paste it - I love it!

Comment

Originally posted by Wombats View Post
                            It works when you copy and paste it - I love it!
                            Didn't work when I tried - and it's probly against the rules

Comment

But the local councils love pot holes, more commonly referred to as inverted speed humps, self generating, self maintaining and costs them the odd claim of a damaged tyre or two.
                              Any opinions I give are my own. Any advice I give is without liability. If you are unsure, please seek qualified legal advice.

Comment

Miss fm ifypfy

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                                Working...
                                X