• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.
  • If you need direct help with your employment issue you can contact us at admin@legalbeaglesgroup.com for further assistance. This will give you access to “off-forum” support on a one-to- one basis from an experienced employment law expert for which we would welcome that you make a donation to help towards their time spent assisting on your matter. You can do this by clicking on the donate button in the box below.

Company forcing me to pay for damage to Co vehicle

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Company forcing me to pay for damage to Co vehicle

Don't worry about the lack of P45.
    Your new employer will put you on an emergency coding, and for a few weeks you will pay extra tax, but this will eventually be refunded.
    To avoid this you can download a P46 (http://www.taxfix.co.uk/p46.pdf) and give this to your new employer.

By law your former employer must give you a P45.

Comment

Hello everyone hope you all had a nice new year. Didnt here anything from them until now just recieved a money claim online claim form through the post they taking me to small claims court, i was going to defend the claim as i still dont believe i was at fault not sure what to do any ideas peeps would be really helpful thankyou. I Had left the company to go to another job but it fell through so i am doing bank work at the moment with zero hours contract can they force me to pay ?

Comment

If you intend to defend the claim the first thing is to acknowledge it as this will give you more time.
        If you could post up details of the claim (first redacting identifying details) it will be easier to assist you.

However do be aware that just because you believe it was not your fault that the engine was damaged by water ingress, a court could well hold that as it was in your care you were liable for the cost of repair. You aren't in a position to show it was another vehicle that caused the damage, which was not covered by insurance, so it only leaves you:tinysmile_cry_t:.

Negotiation prior to getting to court may offer a better solution. If your former employer is using a firm of solicitors to sue you, due to the costs they will encounter you may be able to negotiate a lower settlement figure.

Comment

Hi thanks for your reply i have tried putting on an image but it wont work, no they are not using solicitors, do you think i should just admit and pay them i dont have permaenant work at the moment only bank work zero contract hours so couldnt afford much

Comment

Done it managed to attatch claim form, thanks
            Last edited by bmw2602; 19th January 2015, 12:28:PM.

Comment

POC bit just for ease of reference
              Attached Files
              #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps

Comment

Would you have a copy of the agreement you signed with the company when agreeing to the Deduction of Earnings?
                #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps

Comment

Reading through this there would be an argument that you had been negligent. Your company vehicle may not have been suitable to drive through a flood and perhaps you should have refrained from doing so by knowing that?

Ultimately it's their vehicle and you are left in care of it and do so responsibly. The question is if it was your own personal vehicle would you have risked it? Most people would not.

I would think it's irrelevant if there had been a Land Rover unless you got their number and details. It's only your word to say there was another vehicle. A Land Rover is probably better equipped to deal with that kind of situation anyway. If you had nothing to prove it, it would still stand you perhaps should have known not to drive your company vehicle into a flood.

As for leaving your job, then that does sound rather unfortunate. You may have left your job but the issue hasn't gone away. It may have been better to stay.

Leaving without resolving the situation is not helpful. They would and could still claim against you as it appears they are now doing.
                  Last edited by krypton; 19th January 2015, 12:24:PM.

Comment

Certainly need to see the agreement you signed and wonder how it fits in with your post 14 of 16th Oct where you suggest deductions were being made without your authorisation.
                    Did you consult with ACAS as Tools advised, and if so what was their advice?

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
                    See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
                    X