• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Erudio woes

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Erudio woes

It is a sneaky way to get you to agree to their fine print, which differs from what SLC asked for... they don't need half of it, they are trying to build up a file for themselves, as they are essentially a debt collection agency! If you already filled it in once for this year's deferment I wouldn't do it a second time, but as fas as child benefit I don't know. They are only entitled to the same stuff SLC required. My partner had to give them bank statements, for example, as he is self-employed, but we have no shared accounts. He did not send back the form they enclosed with the acknowledgement of our complaint; they even had the cheek to ask for his bank info to set up a (completely unnecessary) direct debit. I wouldn't do that until the debt is proven and you are about to begin making payments.

Maybe someone else knows? Good luck with it, it seems really cheeky that they would consider child benefit as part of your income.
    Last edited by weevil6969; 6th January 2015, 15:58:PM. Reason: clarification

Comment

Thanks for your reply. I'd not filled in their form, I thought it was far too obtrusive so just sent them a letter with my payslips. They responded with sending me a new deferral form saying that I have to sign and date it, which again I'm not happy to do. I'll send off my payslips and tax credits, which I'm going to divide in two as it's jointly with my wife. It is taking the mick to include child benefit. It's their money.

Comment

May have been others, but I'm only aware of one or 2 deferments granted without at least signing the form (much crossed out), and that was a result of them getting a solicitor involved threatening legal action.

Comment

Not much to report on my continuing Erudio WOES. 8 months and counting. Still awaiting an FOS decision about these charlatans.

However it seems our friends at Erudio are in the sh*t over not filing their company accounts. They really cannot do anything right it seems:

http://companycheck.co.uk/company/08...ies-house-docs

And they made the Press Again :

http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/e...moved-out.html

Anyone legal minds on here care to speculate what this could mean for us poor sods stuck with these clowns in an unwanted Faustian pact?

Does it mean anything? Can you be late with accounts? Are they doing it deliberately?

Any help/advice would be much appreciated. Thanks

Comment

It's what the " Consortium" behind the company that one is going to have to watch.
            I would expect the debt purchasers involved to have contingency plans for assuring
            their interests which are not inconsiderable.

Comment

Erudio. Ack.

Apologies for copy and pasting a message I posted on another forum earlier this morning, but I wanted to join this site to get as much advice/support as I can and also hopefully to help others in a similar position along the way.

Summary:

Last year I was sent some blurb from Erudio saying how my loan was now with that company and to wait for deferment forms.

I waited and still didn't receive anything.

Last week I received mail telling me I am in arrears of £x because I hadn't been granted deferment. (I am legible for deferment having been in ESA for a number of years).

I phoned Erudio and asked how is it that I'm in arrears when I wasn't even sent a deferment form and the ... adviser ... I spoke to told me that the deferment pack had been sent to me, but returned to them as "undeliverable", therefore I broke my terms by not applying for deferment in the permitted time.

He told me I need to pay the arrears. I said I don't have the cash. He said, even if it's only a token £1 a month, set up a DD. Sounded fishy. Why should I pay money back when I wasn't even aware I'd broken terms because I didn't receive their mail?

My question is: * how do I stand legally on this point? Did I break rules by not returning an application for deferment even though I didn't receive the form?*

Has anyone else had a similar problem (Erudio saying they haven't received a deferement form from you/the mail they sent you couldn't be delievered)?

I've been up all night sorting out a letter, list of things to photocopy, finding revelant paperwork and it's really driving me nuts.

I appreciate any imput.

Comment

Not sure of your legal rights. But you got the initial Paperwork the 'notice of assignment' (a4 envelope) but the Deferment pack could not be delivered (same size/thickness a4 envelope.) So how could this happen? Did your letterbox shrink in the meanwhile? Hmmm? I would attack Erudio on this point as it is the crux of the matter. They failed to deliver the method of deferment SOMEHOW.

My 2 cents.

Erudio are DCA (debt collection Agency) SCUM. They will have little or zero interest in the 'deferment' of your loan. They bought it for peanuts and want their MONEY! You must have this mindset when DEALING with them. NEVER PHONE THEM. DCA SCUM WILL SAY ANYTHING TO GET MONEY FROM YOU. They have lost loads of peoples paperwork, both sent from and to them if posts on various forums are true. I would suggest having a quick look on CAG, MSE, Mumsnet to get a flavour of the fight you have joined.

I would use recorded mail for dealing with Erudio - when you send in your Deferment form should you choose to use it.

In the meanwhile use their EMAIL at customerservice@erudiostudentloans.co.uk and tell them to politely get f**king stuffed.
                Immediately Email the FOS: http://www.financial-ombudsman.org.u...complaints.htm and say you are being harassed, you may as well get in the queue early, get a complaint Number.

Also write to the FCA http://www.fca.org.uk/ and complain: consumer.queries@fca.org.uk

The more people complain about this vile mob the more chance someone in authority doing something about them.

Good luck
                Last edited by Pluthero; 14th January 2015, 20:45:PM.

Comment

Thanks for the reply. I really do think that the fact they acknowledged the deferment form wasn't delivered to my address is my strongest point in getting these "arrears" scrapped, BUT although I've requested they put in writing that the form was returned to sender (them!), I've only got this info in my head because the call centre troll told me. They could easily deny it?

Mumsnet was the first site I found with advice about this awful company. Very good, helpful threads. I've followed the advice regarding not signing the form, sending a covering letter and I'm sending proof of my gross income and THAT'S ALL. I've written as if I'm applying to defer from March/April 2014 and not as of January 2015.

The adviser (ha!) was desperate for me to set up a DD agreement to "at least pay a token amount per month to pay back arrears", but - erm - I don't think so!

My plan is send all this paperwork to them today and wait it out. The whole "oh, your deferment form was sent back to us" situation is playing on my mind. I'll see what their reply is.

I won't give in though because it's all so obviously f**ked. Their tactics are disgusting, but not surprising.

I'll definitely do some complaining though. Oh, yes.

Thanks again. Much appreciated.

Comment

Hi give_me_strength. I would start fairly polite. You need to put in a formal complaint, outlining the facts (e.g. you haven't changed address and not told them, so there is no reason for the form to have been undeliverable, so you question whether it was sent). Tell them you wish to apply for deferment now and would they email you the form, then request that they back-date your deferment. Ask to see evidence that they sent out the form and that it was returned. If they can't provide that, tell them you're going to go to the Ombudsman. It's unfortunate that you didn't realise you hadn't had the form some time back, because the default position is you pay, and deferment has to be applied for, you can't assume it's just going to happen. On the plus side, Erudio are getting into lots of trouble so may want to avoid yet another involvement with the ombudsman. Good luck.

Comment

Originally posted by strapped4cash View Post
                      Hi give_me_strength. I would start fairly polite. You need to put in a formal complaint, outlining the facts (e.g. you haven't changed address and not told them, so there is no reason for the form to have been undeliverable, so you question whether it was sent). Tell them you wish to apply for deferment now and would they email you the form, then request that they back-date your deferment. Ask to see evidence that they sent out the form and that it was returned. If they can't provide that, tell them you're going to go to the Ombudsman. It's unfortunate that you didn't realise you hadn't had the form some time back, because the default position is you pay, and deferment has to be applied for, you can't assume it's just going to happen. On the plus side, Erudio are getting into lots of trouble so may want to avoid yet another involvement with the ombudsman. Good luck.
                      The reason I'd waited so long for a form was because in their communication it sounded to me as if they were getting their a*ses in gear to actually work on their deferment pack. I know it's been a long time, but in the end it just slipped my mind with other life crap going on.

I have asked for something in writing stating the pack was undelivered. I mailed them my covering letter, proof of income, etc. yesterday and I kept it polite (for now!). I've applied as if I'm applying for deferment from April 2014.

Even considering I was lax getting on their case about a form earlier, it seems odd how I'm meant to be in the wrong if the first notice of arrears I was sent was last month and dated June 2014! They really don't know what they're doing, do they.

Thanks for your message.

Comment

Originally posted by give_me_strength View Post
                        The reason I'd waited so long for a form was because in their communication it sounded to me as if they were getting their a*ses in gear to actually work on their deferment pack. I know it's been a long time, but in the end it just slipped my mind with other life crap going on.

I have asked for something in writing stating the pack was undelivered. I mailed them my covering letter, proof of income, etc. yesterday and I kept it polite (for now!). I've applied as if I'm applying for deferment from April 2014.

Even considering I was lax getting on their case about a form earlier, it seems odd how I'm meant to be in the wrong if the first notice of arrears I was sent was last month and dated June 2014! They really don't know what they're doing, do they.

Thanks for your message.
                        I believe that JUNE 2014 ARREARS letter is some sort of separate accounting b*lls up as I got one of those too and a another arrears letter on Xmas Eve. Think lots of people got them around Xmas.

HTH

Comment

Originally posted by give_me_strength View Post

Thanks for your message.
                          You're welcome, I hope it helps you through this irksome nonsense. I don't think they ever sent me notice of arrears, I had an annual statement. The fact that you have only just had a notice of arrears, and it's dated June 2014, has got to work in your favour. They must be legally obliged to inform you, so use the fact it's months late against them if you haven't already - tell them if you'd had the notice back in June you wouldn't be in the position you are now, so it's their fault, not yours, and they should therefore backdate your deferment.

Unfortunately I think they DO know what they're doing, and it's quite cynical. They are a DCA after all.

Comment

Originally posted by strapped4cash View Post
                            tell them if you'd had the notice back in June you wouldn't be in the position you are now, so it's their fault, not yours, and they should therefore backdate your deferment.
                            You'd think so, wouldn't you. I'm not paying or even paying back a "token" payment of a quid a month by giving setting up a DD. However much this whole thing is going to p*ss me off, they won't win. That's fighting talk ; )

Comment

My FOS complaint has been upheld. Yet it still feels like I lost

Here is the outcome:

Dear Mr Trapped in an unwanted Faustian pact with devils.

The basis of your complaint relates to the business’ failure to defer your student loan.

You are also not satisfied with the business’ request for you to complete a Deferment Application Form (DAF) and that details of your loan will be reported to credit reference agencies. You are also concerned that it will be registered as a ‘payment holiday’ on your credit file which could adversely affect your credit rating.
                              A request to defer the loan was originally made by you on 1 May 2014, however, you did not submit the standard DAF requested by the business. As such, the deferment was not processed at this time.

You stated that you were concerned by the volume of information being requested in the DAF which you considered to be irrelevant. This was explained in a letter to the business and instead of completing the DAF, you submitted information i.e. evidence of your income that you considered was relevant and consistent with the information you had provided previously to the Student Loans Company.

The business responded to you on 19 May 2014 and sent you another DAF to complete – the business did not, however, respond to any of the points you had highlighted in your letter nor explain to you why the information you had submitted was insufficient to process the deferment.

On 29 May 2014, you made a formal complaint to the business about your loan not being deferred.

A response was sent to you by the business on 12 August 2014, two and a half months later. At this time, the deferment had still not been processed and to date, the situation has not changed.

In settlement, you would like the loan deferred and to be compensated for the inconvenience you have been caused.

Additionally, you do not want the deferment to be reported with credit reference agencies as a ‘payment holiday’ as this may have a negative impact on your credit rating.

Having considered the circumstances of your complaint, I am of the view that it should be upheld.

I do not consider that your enquiries and concerns were addressed appropriately and your complaint was not responded to in a timely manner or in sufficiently clear terms.

Had this been done at outset, I am persuaded that a DAF could have been submitted and the deferment could have been processed without any delays.

With regard to the issue of the business reporting information about your deferred loan to credit reference agencies, I would advise that Student Loans Company Limited (SLC) did not report regular information about the loans to credit reference agencies, however, the terms and conditions of loans taken out between 1990 and 1997, as in your case, did effectively permit the SLC (and subsequently Erudio Student Loans) to report information about loans, including whether they are in deferment, up to date, in arrears or in default – it simply elected not to do so.

Therefore, in reporting information about loans to credit reference agencies, the business is not acting outside the terms and conditions and these have not changed.
                              With regard to loans taken out from 1998, disclosure will only occur if the account is in arrears or default.

Borrowers with these loans are being offered the option to consent for their up to date accounts to be reported. If consent is withheld, these loans will not be reported to credit reference agencies unless they are in default or in arrears. As I have stated, however, this only relates to loans taken out from 1998.

I understand your sentiments regarding this, however, this office is satisfied that the permitted level of reporting is not unreasonable provided the information is an accurate reflection of the account.
                              Regarding your concerns as to the completion of the DAF, I would advise that if the completion of this is required by the business in order to defer the loan, then you will need to do so. We are unable to enforce the business to defer the loan without the completion of the DAF.

The business has advised that deferments are going to be reported with the credit reference agencies as payment holidays and I understand your concerns in respect of this. According to Experian, however, provided these are reported as a ‘u’ in the monthly status report, it should not have a negative impact on credit scores. I hope this mitigates any concerns that you may have in respect of this. (The use of the word SHOULD really does not fill me with much confidence.)

For your information, the business has advised that it has or is in the process of updating its deferment policy. It is also currently working on a new DAF with clearer wording
                              As I have explained, it is my view that your complaint should be upheld.

In settlement, it is my recommendation that once a DAF is submitted and accepted, the new deferment period should be back-dated 3 months before the date the application is accepted.

The business should also ensure that no adverse information is recorded on your credit file.

In addition, any arrears on the loan after the last deferment period should be removed.

Lastly, you have been caused trouble and upset and in recognition of this, it is my view that you should be compensated. In the circumstances of your complaint, I consider the sum of £75 to be appropriate.

Having put my recommendations to the business, I am pleased to advise that once you have completed, signed and submitted the business’ DAF, it has agreed to write off the arrears and subsequently back-date your deferment date to ensure a continuation of your deferment. This will ensure there is no deferment gap and, therefore, no adverse information would be recorded as a consequence.

You now need to consider this offer.

Comment

WHAT?
                                You know when you play scrabble (yea, I’m that old) and you put all the letters in that green bag, jiggle them about and pull them out, is that how this shower compose their letters? Do they put a load of stock phrases into a bag and fling those phrases onto a desk like runes and from that pile and pattern compose their letters? This response is such a crock of the proverbial. No wonder you feel like you lost!

An optimist is someone who falls off the Empire State Building, and after 50 floors says, 'So far so good'!
                                ~ Anonymous

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                                Working...
                                X