• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Erudio woes

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Erudio woes

Hello all,

Having terrible issues with Erudio student loans. I am refusing to use their deferment form as it is threatening, asks for way too much info and seeks to change the terms and conditions of my original loan agreement. I have sent them my 3 months of wage slips and declaration that this is all I earn which has been good enough for the SLC (student loans company) in the past. I am in dispute with them right now, awaiting their response for my CCA request. Can I ultimately serve them with breach of contract if they continue to refuse deferment? I know there are many others in the same situation so any advice, war stories etc would be much appreciated. Many thanks.
    Tags: None

Re: Erudio woes

From reading the long threads on MSE, and oddly mumsnet :tinysmile_hmm_t2:, seems that many people are getting deferred by simply blanking out the parts of the form that are phishing for info that is none of Erduio's business and parts that try to make you consent to additional data sharing with the CRAs. Then writing a covering letter making it clear that you do not agree to any changes just so there is no doubt.

Whether that stands up legally in the long run is a question, but I think you need to consider how much you want to have a long fight over the forms on principle and how much you just want to get deferment done?

Comment

Well that is the rub. Already past my deferment date. But they had what I consider (and what the SLC have accepted for the past 16 years) all relevant payslips and declarations from me a month before that cut off. Don't see why they want their form signed with bits blacked out/covering letter and this is okay but what I have submitted is not okay: The bottom line is that I am well under the £28,775 and fully entitled to defer as per original agreement. I have kept all correspondence to them robust/professional and to the point and have started a complaint because they have not deferred quickly. I await their response and if they still refuse I will go to the FOS next. I guess it is a point of principle. Don't want to go through this hassle every year.

Comment

Some people were refusing the forms because of all the extra things they insisted you completed. Now it seems they accept you don't have to do most of that then for many there is no reason not to use the form.

If in your case it is a stand on principle and you are prepared to do that then that is fair enough.

I doubt they will have trouble eventually complying with the CCA request. The agreement forms are well known and even published on the SLC website under FOI requests. Even if they can't source actual copy agreements from SLC they would surely not have trouble reconstituting them.

http://blog.moneysavingexpert.com/20...student-loans/

and

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/new...-from-accounts

are interesting.

Comment

Got a reply. They are 'investigating the matters raised in my letter of complaint.' I now have 3 deferment packs from Erudio after telling them I would not be using their forms, a terrible waste of trees.

Strangely I also received a letter from LCS (a DCA I googled them) about a British gas debt from 2012 for a property in Nottingham for £159. I live in Belfast and have never set foot in Nottingham, nor use gas and never had any letters about debts ever. I am ignoring it as a quick browse on the internet has advised but am very paranoid now: I start to complain to Erudio (a DCA whom I give minimal info to) and two weeks later I get a ficticious debt letter from another DCA? Anyone else had similar experiences ? Or is it all just cosmic randomness?

Comment

Update. I Have received the letter saying they are dealing with my complaint, I have not received my CCa request response. However I have received a request for payment letter which tells me I am in arrears! Which tells me they have automated systems just sending letters and have not set up a case file to deal with my complaint. Wrote them a stern letter detailing my DISTRESS and how I am feeling HARRASSED about their whole inadequate process. Mentioned the recent WONGA/SLC press about unfair practices and told them to look up the Ferguson V British Gas verdict from 2009 about similar tactics. Am waiting till they respond to my complaints and then will sent all details to FOS as I don't expect Erudio to defer me any time soon. I may have to take them to court for breach of contract - any one on here have any advice about this course of action?

Many thanks.

Comment

Update. Erudio have not upheld my complaints about their terrible service and my refusal to use their DAF. They have not responded as yet to my third complaint about the legal need to use their DAF! Complaint lodged with FOS! Will post back the outcome of that. I would urge everyone having issues with erudio to complain to the FOS in order to highlight just how wrong it is that a debt collector is responsible for administering the deferment process of our loans.

Comment

Update. STILL awaiting FOS response/outcome. Have complained to the FCA (please everyone affected by these chancers - Please send off a complaint to the FCA about anything Erudio have mis-behaved about. Take your pick! I did and got this Response:

Dear Mr Unhappy Erudio captive,

Thank you for your email making us aware of your complaint against Erudio Student Loans. I am sorry to hear of the difficulties you have been experiencing.

As the regulator of the financial services industry in the UK, we are grateful for you raising your complaint with us. I note that you are aware that the FCA has no authority to become involved in complaints on an individual basis and you have contacted the Financial Ombudsman Service in this respect.

I can confirm that Erudio Student Loans Limited are regulated by the FCA to undertake consumer credit activities. I have passed the information you have given on to our supervisory team within the FCA for their information, although I should explain that The FCA will not be able to confirm the progress of any investigation we may undertake.

This is because the Financial Services and Markets Act 2000 requires us to keep this information confidential. I understand this can be frustrating but please be assured that all information we receive is carefully considered.

Thank you for writing to us.

It cannot hurt to send off an email to them!

What ever happens will post back here.

Comment

Hi Pluthero, Thanks for posting. It sounds like you're a bit further down the road than I am, in some respects, but I'm wondering how you're getting on re the deferment. Have they taken money from you? I did fill the deferment form in way back, when requested, but they lost my supporting evidence twice. I've proved to them that they had this information in time, but they ignore me. I've since filled it all in again and sent it back Recorded Delivery this time, and they've now granted me deferment. BUT, due to the delay (THEIR delay) in granting my deferment, they reckon I owe 2 months arrears which they won't wipe (they say they only have to wipe 3 months, and it's been 5). I'm refusing to pay up, in fact I'm off to the CAB tomorrow for some help as I just can't face phoning Erudio and dealing with any more of their bullying and BS. I can't help thinking it's all a ruse to force me to cancel my DD (and therefore breaking contract), the debt is due to be written off in 18 months.

Comment

Strapped4cash

I never set up a DD. You only need one set up if you are in repayment though Erudio will try and insist otherwise.

Re their losing paperwork. A total scandal/farce. I have read about in many forums. They DELAY delay delay and their response times are a joke. If you have your paper trail/emails (NEVER EVER PHONE THEM) about what you supplied and when tell Erudio to go Forth with any claims on your money.

Stay strong because they are a DCA you are dealing with, one of the worst too.

Scandal that the Govt sold our loans to them and will probably sell off more in the future.

SEE CAG MSE etc for more war stories and advice. You are not alone!

Comment

MSE want feedback on Erudio's new revised deferment forms.

See: http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/new...-your-feedback

Comment

Having a look now. Not sure they could print my feedback, I would probably get a ban

Still the very fact they have re jigged the original mess gives my concerns about it some legitimacy. So a bit of a win in that regard.

Seems to be no mention of 'loans registered with CRA's as on payment holiday.' Yet applying for deferral will leave a 'credit footprint.' I am not applying for credit with Erudio so why this is allowed? Am sure brighter minds than mine will be having a good look at the differences if there is any of substance.

Comment

Originally posted by Nibbler View Post
                          MSE want feedback on Erudio's new revised deferment forms.

See: http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/new...-your-feedback
                          Any feedback on that needs to be posted on the MSE thread by 5pm today. Thanks.

Comment

Hi everyone - new poster here and my partner is being harassed by Erudio, despite giving them everything they have asked for more than once (and being subjected to a harrowing interrogation on the phone from a completely idiotic know-nothing for about half an hour!)!

Are they allowed to demand (this time by post) a stamped SA302 form from HMRC to prove his self-assessed income? If HMRC electronically generates a completed form for you, why isn't that good enough? Are they allowed to change the T & C's from what he had in place with SLC since the late 90s re: deferment?

Thanks

Comment

This whole debacle is another example of why the practice of selling debts should be illegal. Eruido are backed by Arrow who are a Debt Collection Agency.In the original press release https://www.gov.uk/government/news/s...book-completed (you will laugh when you read the assurances that the terms and conditionswill not be affected by the sale) Willetts describes Arrow as ‘experts inconsumer debt management’. They are not. They are a parasitic entity who buy people's souls for a pittance and make a profit out of misfortune. If you want a copy of the original paperwork they will say they do not have it or the classic ‘we do not own the debt in that way’ but own it enough to change the Ts & Cs and will call themselves the claimant when taking legal action.
                              This article in the Guardian shows that within a few months of Eruido buying these loans there were some serious complaints flying around. http://www.theguardian.com/money/2014/may/20/student-loan-erudio-under-fire
                              6 months later and they are still harassing people. The government, despite pushing David Willetts out of harm’s way, has done a complete ‘Pontius Pilate’. :bolt:
                              3rd level education should be a right, not a privilege and the actions of Eruido will deter many young people from going on to become the doctors and solicitors that this country desperately needs. I am developing RSI from writing to various MPs and Government departments and could wallpaper Westminster with their extremely polite but insipid and impotent replies. :boom:

An optimist is someone who falls off the Empire State Building, and after 50 floors says, 'So far so good'!
                              ~ Anonymous

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                              Working...
                              X