• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Help please

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help please

My father passed away on the 13th August last year. He was not in good mental health, and unfortunately took his own life.

This has left myself, and my siblings in a very complicated situation.

There are several unresolved issues... my father's business was in serious trouble with the Inland Revenue, there were massive debts, himself and the other director to his business took out large 'director's loans' (which I believe they have used to clear the debt), no Will has been found, and no one is acting as administrator to the estate.

Myself and my brother met with the business' accountant back in October, and I provided my sister with the information presented to us, which gave us options for paying the debt. Our sister, who potentially has the most complicated involvement with the situation (for reasons we can discuss later), said she wanted to deal with all of the legal aspects, and did not want us involved. It has come to light (from our mother) that our sister did not employ a legal professional but simply consulted 'legal friends', who advised her to leave things for 6 months so dad's estate 'goes to probate'. I was told she was under the impression the state would settle things in this incidence. I do not believe this is the case and she is now saying (as I suggested to her back in Nov) that all 3 of us should act as administrators to the estate. I was not even sure 3 people could act together, but it seemed the most sensible idea if possible.

I continued to ask our sister how she was progressing with legal issues, but she would not communicate with me. Our sister is an incredibly difficult, angry and unreasonable person, who I believe also suffers with severe mental health issues, not assisted by our father's suicide. She takes particular issue with me, but gets on slightly better with my brother Tom.

I sent our sister a long e-mail last week passing on more updates (about the inquest into his death, and because I had received a letter from our father's company about the large debt) and to ask for more updates, and received no response. However, as the inquest into my father's death was held today, we called our sister to share the evidence and verdict. She made it very clear she does not want to cooperate with us, so we think it is very important we seek legal advice ourselves.

I am sorry this has become a long message. It is very difficult to explain the situation, and I am not familiar with the legalities of the situation.

Would you be able to recommend someone who can help? At this stage we really need advice.
    Tags: None

Re: Help please

Hi LucyP and to LB.

Firstly, I am so very sorry for your loss and the particularly harrowing circumstances.

The situation does sound complex enough to merit consulting a solicitor rather swiftly. Your sister's actions are not, IMO, either constructive or within the law however well-meaning she might be.

Most solicitors will give you a free half hour or so's consultation to assess your case. Make sure to choose one specializing in this area www.lawsociety.org.uk/find-a-solicitor/new-service/ and get all your paperwork in order beforehand so as not to waste (expensive) time.

We will all help and support you on here all we can, too. x

Comment

Hi, condolences on your loss.

As you are already running into family problems you are well advised by MissFM to seek professional help.

Because your father died intestate there is a strict order of priority for those who are to be administrators.
      Your mother (assuming she was your father's wife or civil partner) heads the list, followed by you and your siblings.
      If any of you don't want the responsibility, it has to be formally renounced. Your sister can't just take over responsibility.

For your own peace of mind, do take professional advice.

Comment

Originally posted by LucyP View Post
        My father passed away on the 13th August last year. He was not in good mental health, and unfortunately took his own life.

This has left myself, and my siblings in a very complicated situation.

There are several unresolved issues... my father's business was in serious trouble with the Inland Revenue, there were massive debts, himself and the other director to his business took out large 'director's loans' (which I believe they have used to clear the debt), no Will has been found, and no one is acting as administrator to the estate.

Myself and my brother met with the business' accountant back in October, and I provided my sister with the information presented to us, which gave us options for paying the debt. Our sister, who potentially has the most complicated involvement with the situation (for reasons we can discuss later), said she wanted to deal with all of the legal aspects, and did not want us involved. It has come to light (from our mother) that our sister did not employ a legal professional but simply consulted 'legal friends', who advised her to leave things for 6 months so dad's estate 'goes to probate'. I was told she was under the impression the state would settle things in this incidence. I do not believe this is the case and she is now saying (as I suggested to her back in Nov) that all 3 of us should act as administrators to the estate. I was not even sure 3 people could act together, but it seemed the most sensible idea if possible.

I continued to ask our sister how she was progressing with legal issues, but she would not communicate with me. Our sister is an incredibly difficult, angry and unreasonable person, who I believe also suffers with severe mental health issues, not assisted by our father's suicide. She takes particular issue with me, but gets on slightly better with my brother Tom.

I sent our sister a long e-mail last week passing on more updates (about the inquest into his death, and because I had received a letter from our father's company about the large debt) and to ask for more updates, and received no response. However, as the inquest into my father's death was held today, we called our sister to share the evidence and verdict. She made it very clear she does not want to cooperate with us, so we think it is very important we seek legal advice ourselves.

I am sorry this has become a long message. It is very difficult to explain the situation, and I am not familiar with the legalities of the situation.

Would you be able to recommend someone who can help? At this stage we really need advice.

Thank you for your lovely- I feel bad, as I posted this on behalf of a friend who is unable to deal with this issue and I am helping with this matter.

I will pass in this information - THANK you so much for an insight.

best wishes to all

Comment

❤️Thank you to all. I posted this for my friend, who is finding it very difficult to deal with. Sorry to have mislead you. These messages will be passed on and solicitors will be contacted tomorrow. I'll post and let you know incase it helps anyone else. Thanks again for your help!?

❤️

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
          Working...
          X