• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Pay Day Lenders | Impact on Credit file

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pay Day Lenders | Impact on Credit file

Hello,

I'm in need of some guidance....

I've been doing some research on Pay Day Lenders and how they used to make assertions that taking a PDL wouldn't adversely impact on credit profile or certainly that taking one of their loans "may" improve chances of credit.

I submitted an FOI to the FCA which is explained below, I'm quite interested at their offer of a meeting (anyone want to come?) essentially though I'm trying to get hold of the background technical detail to the press release which covers the issue.

I've found plenty of info from the OFT broadly covering misleading adverts and the ASA don't want to know because they say its covered by CCA....I'm sure there must be loads of people out there who don't have other issues on their credit file but now can't get a mortgage because of the history in having a PDL.

“The FCA issued a Press Release today in relation to 1 in 5 adverts being misleading which relates to Pay Day Lenders. The Press Release which can be located here http://www.fca.org.uk/news/consumer-...ms-must-raise- advertising-standards does not give much detail. I therefore require background information, reports, guidance and research into the issue around misleading advertising that led to the above press release. While I do require the general information above I am specifically also looking for information relating to the statement in the press release that firms state "claiming that their product would help repair credit ratings".” We regret to inform you that for the reasons outlined below we are having difficulty in processing your request. Your request is too broad as the cost of complying with your request would exceed the amount set out in regulations made by the Department of Constitutional Affairs (now the Ministry of Justice). These regulations provide that, for the FCA, the cost limit is £450 at the rate of £25 per person hour. To help us try to meet your request please can you refine it clearly defining what you mean by “background information, reports, guidance and research”, so we have a better understanding of what information you wish to receive. Alternatively, I have discussed your request with our Financial Promotions team and, if it is a more general understating of how we monitor the financial markets that you are interested in, they have offered to meet with you or telephone you to explain this. Please be aware that this is not standard practice but if you would like me to arrange this then please let me know. Once I have more specific details your request will be processed in accordance with the Act. I will be unable to proceed with your request without clarification of the information you wish to receive. Please note that under guidance issued by the Ministry of Justice and the Information Commissioner's Office entitled "Freedom of Information & Environmental Information Regulations - Hints for practitioners handling FOI/EIR requests", the following advice has been given with regard to the clarification of requests: "The day after the clarification is received by the public authority the 20 working day period begins" (page 14).
    Tags: None

Re: Pay Day Lenders | Impact on Credit file

The link to the press article is broken

Comment

This one I believe - http://www.fca.org.uk/news/consumer-...sing-standards
      #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps

Comment

I submitted an FOI to the FCA which is explained below, I'm quite interested at their offer of a meeting (anyone want to come?) essentially though I'm trying to get hold of the background technical detail to the press release which covers the issue.
        They've offered a meeting?

lternatively, I have discussed your request with our Financial Promotions team and, if it is a more general understating of how we monitor the financial markets that you are interested in, they have offered to meet with you or telephone you to explain this. Please be aware that this is not standard practice but if you would like me to arrange this then please let me know.
        Now that is good and would be very interesting.
        #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Comment

Originally posted by Amethyst View Post
          That be the one, thanks Amethyst

Comment

I guess it could be argued as not relevant if the loan was taken before regulation on 1 April 14 but if the footprint is still on the file the result is still there just the misleading ad no longer is....does that make sense.

Comment

Originally posted by Amethyst View Post
              They've offered a meeting?

Now that is good and would be very interesting.
              Yeah with their Financial Promotions Team, it's in the quote above. I'd love to take them up on it but I'd need to have the right questions etc to help achieve an aim of sorting out the misleading websites etc. they say the offer of meeting me isn't normal practice...

Comment

claiming that their product would help repair credit ratings,
                I know a number of 'subprime' credit cards claim to help repair credit files as well, I haven't kept that much of an eye of the PDL advertising to know how widespread the statement is/was. I'm pretty sure it will be mentioned in the high cost short term credit investigation docs though.
                #staysafestayhome

Comment

I'm pretty sure it will be mentioned in the high cost short term credit investigation docs though.
                  Where might I find those?

Comment

I posted them when they were published, am hunting them down...
                    #staysafestayhome

Comment

ah ha it's CMa not FCA - http://www.legalbeagles.info/forums/...review-updates - some quite interesting reading in there. Particularly Wonga Group Limited (PDF, 1.6Mb) 17.04.14, Wonga Group Limited (PDF, 1.1 Mb) 20.08.13 , Wonga Group Limited (PDF, 3.5 Mb) 04.10.13
                      #staysafestayhome

Comment

Thanks.
                        I guess a meeting with the FCA would only be helpful if their enforcement powers applied. PDLs have changed their websites now (although I have screenshots) so I guess the misleading sites were pre-April. I just don't know if the FCA would help.

Comment

Pop the screen shots up if you can. If they have changed them since the FCA took over regulation it shows it is working. To date I have been quite impressed with the FCA over and above the OFT's toothlessness.
                          #staysafestayhome

Comment

Morning,
                            Here is Wonga's statement on it - I thought I found more than this but either way its highlighted in the attached PDF.

Gonna read through all of the above links this morning.

Attached Files

Comment

Afternoon,

So has anyone got the urge to come and meet the FCA with me to discuss PDL advertising?

I think making assertions of improving credit ratings and then not being able to back it up is a big issue for people as people aren't aware of the risks of taking credit. I'd quite like to know what the FCA are doing about it.

O

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                              Working...
                              X