• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Desperate for help please!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Desperate for help please!

http://www.justice.gov.uk/courts/pro...executed-goods

Comment

Once Marstons were made aware your car was third-party goods and proof made available to them, they should have immediately removed the clamp, not left it on, thereby depriving you of your enjoyment and use of your possessions. There is going to come a point where Marstons and their client can no longer justify their actions and it then becomes a matter of serving both with a Letter Before Action. Off the top of my head, you may have grounds for action under the Torts (Interference With Goods Act) 1977 for Wrongful Interference With Goods.

If Marstons think they are being clever or are doing nothing wrong by seizing third-party goods, they know or ought to know such action is not only unlawful, but, in certain circumstances, it can be illegal also. They have no excuse or defence whatsoever.

I would send a follow-up email to Gareth Hughes today and the Council involved requesting the clamp's immediate removal.
      Life is a journey on which we all travel, sometimes together, but never alone.

Comment

Originally posted by bluebottle View Post
        Once Marstons were made aware your car was third-party goods and proof made available to them, they should have immediately removed the clamp, not left it on, thereby depriving you of your enjoyment and use of your possessions. There is going to come a point where Marstons and their client can no longer justify their actions and it then becomes a matter of serving both with a Letter Before Action. Off the top of my head, you may have grounds for action under the Torts (Interference With Goods Act) 1977 for Wrongful Interference With Goods.

If Marstons think they are being clever or are doing nothing wrong by seizing third-party goods, they know or ought to know such action is not only unlawful, but, in certain circumstances, it can be illegal also. They have no excuse or defence whatsoever.

I would send a follow-up email to Gareth Hughes today and the Council involved requesting the clamp's immediate removal.
        There is a correct procedure to follow linked above.

Comment

Unfortunately, the post with the link crossed with mine so I read what was on the link after it was posted, Wombats.

To be honest, the procedure appears weighted heavily in favour of the EA. However, Milo did post something on another thread which explains matters in very simple terms.

Comment

Thank-you so much Bluebottle will do straight the way. These people really do think they are above 'everything'.

Comment

Originally posted by Penpushers View Post
              Thank-you so much Bluebottle will do straight the way. These people really do think they are above 'everything'.
              Check the procedure Wombats mentions and Bizzybob has provided a link for in Post #46 before doing anything further.

Comment

Thanks for post , but I am not sure what to do can you please clarify. I have written emailed, all the details. I have looked at the link Milo posted and Wombats but I'm not sure what to do with this link. Do I apply to the courts now as Marstons are ignoring me?

Comment

Do you know if the creditor - the council - has done anything to kick Marstons into removing the clamp? If the new regulations are clearly not working and/or being abused, then you may have to go to court.

Comment

I emailed the council last week and they emailed back saying -not there problem- and to contact Marstons. I emailed the council back and told them I was forwarding there email onto The Ombudsman along with the paperwork which has already gone. Which I did. Received email from Ombudsman waiting now for there response. In the meantime MARSTONS are depriving me of my car with no justification whatsoever. I wrote last week to Marstons sending all the documents they asked for sent 'signed for' along with a letter in response to my complaint about their bailiff, no news at all. I am very sure the bailiff is trying to use me as a pawn to try and make my husband pay his commission. That will happen when hell freezes over. How do we get to court please ?

Comment

Has the owner of the goods followed the procedure set out in Section 85.4 to the letter? It is spelt out extremely clearly what should be done by the person claiming the goods are theirs. There can be no doubting what steps must be taken when this is followed.

Comment

Thanks Wombats, I had a letter from Customer care and complaints team after I had complained about the bailiff. Mrs D invited me to enclose copies of V5 insurance and proof that I owned the car at the time it was clamped. I have done as requested but still my car is clamped.It has been clamped now for 24 days I wrote and complained straight the way.

Comment

Originally posted by Wombats View Post

Has the owner of the goods followed the procedure set out in Section 85.4 to the letter?

Originally posted by Penpushers View Post
                          Thanks Wombats, I had a letter from Customer care and complaints team after I had complained about the bailiff. Mrs D invited me to enclose copies of V5 insurance and proof that I owned the car at the time it was clamped. I have done as requested but still my car is clamped.It has been clamped now for 24 days I wrote and complained straight the way.
                          Is that a 'Yes' or a 'No' in reply to the question I asked. Sorry to be pedantic, but if you actually read Section 85.4 it is clear, but would need to be followed exactly as a precursor to court proceedings:

http://www.justice.gov.uk/courts/pro...ted-goods#85.4

Comment

No, I wrote straight to Marstons and asked told them that the bailiff knew it was my car. They wrote back and asked for the V5 insurance and proof it was mine, which I did. I thought as I had done as I was asked by letter it was adequate. Do I still need to follow this procedure now to get my car un clamped?

Comment

To be perfectly honest, in my opinion what you have already done should have done the trick, but clearly it hasn't.

I've not dealt with this position before, so I'm treading new ground with you. What I'm relying on is what the law says you should do. As you'll see from the link, if you follow that the EA's have to notify the creditor (the Council) and it is all very formal. I suspect a court would expect you to have completed this stage first.

It looks straightforward on paper so if I were you I would follow this procedure, but as I've stated, this is new ground for me under the new regulations, so I can only help you 'theoretically' by reading what should be done and suggesting you do it. There may be others with more experience on here who can suggest other routes.

There's a good discussion about this here:

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk...=1#post4526358

Comment

Looks like they are after OP going to Interpleader., so depending on value of car could be expensive, of course it could all blow up in EA and Cardiff Councils faces.
                                Last edited by bizzybob; 2nd July 2014, 13:54:PM.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                                Working...
                                X