• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

** DISCONTINUED ** Lowell Portfolio I LTD\Bryan Carter Solicitors LLP v Bigontv123

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Lowell Portfolio I LTD\Bryan Carter Solicitors LLP v Bigontv123

It's better.

The purpose of your witness statement is to evidence facts which are mentioned in you defence and expanded upon in your skeleton argument. For example, part of your defence is that you sent a S78 request which is unfulfilled and thus a defence to the claim by way of S78(6). Your argument does not evidence your claim to have made a request or that you didn't get a reply. That's where the witness statement comes in. Unless that is challenged the court will accept it as a fact and your skeleton argument that S78(6) is a defence wins (unless they are given another chance to put it right).

M1

Comment

Hi Guy's,

I'm just updating this thread so that it may help others in the same boat.

Below is my revised witness statement that was submitted to the court on 3rd December 2014 @12pm.
      ************************************************** *******************************

IN THE ************* COUNTY COURT
      Claim No. ***********

BETWEEN:
      Claimant
      Lowell Financial Limited

AND
      Defendant

WITNESS STATEMENT OF **************

I ***************, being the Defendant in this case will state as follows;

I make this Witness Statement in support of my defence in the claim.

1. On or around the **** May 2014, I received a claims form from the County Court Business Centre, Northampton, for the amount of £*******.

2. There were no details about when the alleged default occurred, the degree of default or details as to how the sums claimed have accrued.

3. The particulars of claim fail to state when the agreement was entered into.

4. The particulars of claim state that this claim is for “an agreement between the original creditor and the defendant to provide financial and/or services and/or goods”. I have no idea what this is.

5. On **** May 2014 I made a formal written request to the Claimant solicitors requesting that the Claimant provides copies of all documents mentioned in the statement of case [EXHIBIT A]. I also enclosed a copy of the letter sent directly to Lowell Financial Limited, requesting a copy of my Consumer Credit Agreement as entitled to do so under sections 77-79 of the Consumer Credit Act 1974 [EXHIBIT B].

6. On **** May 2014 I made a formal written request to the Claimant for them to provide me with a copy of my Consumer Credit Agreement as entitled to do so under sections 77-79 of the Consumer Credit Act 1974 [EXHIBIT C].

7. On **** May 2014 the Claimants solicitors replied [EXHIBIT D] to my written request without the requested documents.

8. I have not received any of the documents mentioned in the claimants claim form.

9. On **** May 2014 , I contacted the Claimants solicitors [EXHIBIT E] and repeated my request for copies of documents pursuant to CPR 31.14. I also sought an extension of time for filing my defence to the Claim in accordance with CPR 15.5.

10. The Claimant replied to my second request on **** May 2014 [EXHIBIT F] and failed to supply any documents that I requested.

11. The Claimant has mentioned the credit Agreement, the default Notice and the assignment in its Statement of Case and yet it has provided none of these documents despite my entitlement to inspect these documents.

12. The Claimants pleaded case is that the Defendant entered into an agreement with ********** under account reference ******************. I am uncertain as to which account this refers to. It is accepted that I have had banking products with *********** in the past however the account number given does not relate to any information I have, therefore it is essential that I have sight of the agreement relied upon by the Claimant to be able to accurately identify to what the claim refers.

Statement of Truth

I, **************, the Defendant, believe the facts stated within this Witness Statement to be true.

Signed: ________________________________

Dated: ________________________________

************************************************** *******************************************

Thanks again to M1 for their invaluable advice!
      Last edited by bigontv123; 8th December 2014, 21:46:PM.

Comment

Hi All,

The Reason for the update above is because I got an early Christmas present :w_nikolaus_187: from
        :candycane2:Bryan Carter Solicitors :candycane2: today.
        It was a letter and it goes a little like this....

************************************************** **********************************
        1st Letter

Date: 03 December 2014

Our client: Lowell Financial Limited Account number: *************************
        Brand/Product: HBOS plc Our ref: ************

Dear Mr Bigontv123,

Lowell Portfolio I Ltd v Mr Bigontv123
        Claim No. *********
        ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
        Please find enclosed, by way of service, a Notice of Discontinuance of this case.

Yours Sincerely
        Bryan Carter Solicitors LLP

************************************************** ************************************************
        2nd letter
        N279 -w3 Notice of Discontinuance (6.99)

Notice Of discontinuance

in the county court at **********
        claim number: *********
        Claimant: Lowell Portfolio I Ltd
        Defendant: Mr Bigontv123

To the court:
        The Claimant:
        Discontinues all of this claim against the defendant.

I certify that I have served a copy of this notice on every other party to the proceedings.
        Signed and dated

************************************************** *******************************************

Comment

Thanks for everyone that helped me with this problem especially M1 for this advice back on the 15th May.........

Do I need to send a CCA and CPR request
          You don't need to but it's in your interest.

They won't have the paperwork but might be able to obtain it. That paperwork might contain fatal flaws too.

If it's your intention to settle you can still do this afterwards so it's nearly a free shot asking for paperwork.

M1

Thanks again to ohitsonlyme, okateo and Twinks143 for advice and knowing that I'm not the only one going through this.

Amethyst for the calming, reassuring advice and for putting this website together.

And finally, all the other good people on this site that make the magic happen!

Thanks again!

Bigontv123

Comment

Originally posted by bigontv123 View Post
            2nd letter
            N279 -w3 Notice of Discontinuance (6.99)

Notice Of discontinuance

in the county court at **********
            claim number: *********
            Claimant: Lowell Portfolio I Ltd
            Defendant: Mr Bigontv123

To the court:
            The Claimant:
            Discontinues all of this claim against the defendant.

I certify that I have served a copy of this notice on every other party to the proceedings.
            Signed and dated

Bloody marvellous xxx Well done you xxxx
            #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps

Comment

ps. Welcome to VIP officially too xxxx and thank you for your support It is very much appreciated xxxx
              #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps

Comment

Well done you. This is an early Christmas present for a lot of people on here as it gives so many hope. Thanks for posting up all the details. You star!sFun_thewave.gif

An optimist is someone who falls off the Empire State Building, and after 50 floors says, 'So far so good'!
                ~ Anonymous

Comment

Re: ** DISCONTINUED ** Lowell Portfolio I LTD\Bryan Carter Solicitors LLP v Bigontv12

Great early Christmas present, what could be better than beating the Dynamic Duo into submission?

:cancan::cancan::cancan:

Comment

Re: ** DISCONTINUED ** Lowell Portfolio I LTD\Bryan Carter Solicitors LLP v Bigontv12

Thanks again guys!

At the beginning of this journey I really thought that I was stuffed. I made a few bad decisions in life and ended up in this mess.

I looked on the internet and found this site. Looked at a few similar posts from people that were in the same situation as me and decided to start a thread myself and seek advice.

Lowell and Bryan Carter were asking for an amount that I could not afford and they were adding the court costs (about £500) on top of this. There was also the threat of a CCJ being registered against me. They forced me into a corner were the only thing that I could do was to defend the claim.... After all I was paying for the court appearance.

As M1 said... "If it's your intention to settle you can still do this afterwards so it's nearly a free shot asking for paperwork." And what great advice this was!

I will never get into this kind of trouble again and I am grateful that I have, somehow managed to get through this. I hope that this thread helps other people in a similar position to me, and if so, that they also donate to keep this great website free and accessible to everyone!

Thanks again guys

Comment

Originally posted by Amethyst View Post
                      Bloody marvellous xxx Well done you xxxx
                      Well done, and thanks to everyone who's posted up helpful stuff. I'm about to do battle with 1st Credit. Hope I get a Christmas as nice as this one!

Comment

Hi Stonybroke, just stick to the advice and you will not go far wrong. they need to prove that they have the right to take the money from you. if they cant then you will win!
                        Good luck!

Comment

Wow - that is great news. It just goes to show that it is worth fighting these big boys rather than just accepting there is nothing you can do. I too would have been lost without this fantastic site and the wonderful help I have been given.

I hope that I too will have the same result..... fingers crossed, and well done for pursuing it.

Twinks x

Comment

I got a notice of discontinuance too this morning. Such a relief to not have this hanging over my head. Definitely worth pursuing. One happy bunny and extremely grateful for all the help I've received from this site

Comment

Well done you! Onwards and upwards.

Comment

Great news! :cheer2::cheer2::cheer2:

Goes to show it can be done! :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Support LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
                                See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
                                X