• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Faulty tablet

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Faulty tablet

Hi,
    I will try to explain the situation as best I can.
    I bought my wife a tablet from Littlewoods we had constant problems with it over a period of a couple of months so I tried to return it.Littlewoods refused to accept a return and said we had to contact the manufacturer I told Littlewoods it was unfit for purpose and of poor quality.The tablet freezes and has to be constantly reset meaning all data is lost each time,it is incredible slow and refreshes for minutes at a time the aforementioned problems cause it to be unusable.
    It was returned to the manufacturers support department at our cost and supposedly repaired it came back and after a week started freezing again it is basically useless.
    Then my wife cracked the screen all she did was pick it up this shows how poor quality the construction is.The tablet was still in warranty I tried to claim the tablet screen broke just by picking it up but obviously we could not prove this.

Since we were still paying for it and still are I returned it to the manufacturers support department to have the screen repaired.I had already called them and was quoted a price for repair which I paid for with my Barclaycard.About 10 days went by and I received a phone call from the servicing department they said "we cannot repair the device would you accept a new replacement?" I asked if there were more costs involved? the answer was "no". I accepted the new replacement. We received it 10 days later surprise surprise exactly the same problems as the first one.This one also had the female connection missing for the headphone socket.

I called them and complained eventually I was passed to the manager he said we could return it for repair or replacement at our cost for postage. I told him he was liable for postage costs as he had sent faulty goods he flatly refused. I then said "I don't think much of your quality control" his reply was "well it is refurbished" I told him we were told the replacement was new.The manager said "send it back and we will look at it" he avoided the (new) question. I have decided I don't want the useless thing it is not fit for purpose so I emailed asking for a refund once I have returned it.They called me and said " we are a repair company not a retailer we do not give refunds" I explained they were providing a service and had provided the current tablet.Also I considered the supplied product unfit and their services as poor. They are completely refusing to refund us.They never carried out the repair they were paid for and the replacement item was not new as stated it was refurbished and of the same poor manufacturing quality.I have recorded all the calls.
    I feel like I am banging my head against a wall.We are still paying for a tablet from Littlewoods that we now longer own and have paid for a replacement we cannot use because of its poor quality.I know two other people with the same model and make and they have the same problem that it is virtually unusable.
    I just don't know what to do next?
    Tags: None

Re: Faulty tablet

Sale of Goods Act Fact Sheet

Q6. Is it true that I have to complain to the manufacturer?

No. You bought the goods from the trader, not the manufacturer, and the trader is liable for any breaches of contract (unless he was acting as the manufacturer's agent).

Q13. What does the "reversed burden of proof" mean for the consumer?

It means that for the first six months the consumer need not produce any evidence that a product was inherently faulty at the time of sale
    . If a consumer is seeking any other remedy the burden of proof remains with him/her.
    In such a case, the retailer will either accept there was an inherent fault, and will offer a remedy, or he will dispute that it was inherently flawed. If the latter, when he inspects the product to analyse the cause, he may, for example, point out impact damage or stains that would be consistent with it having been mistreated in such a way as to bring about the fault.
    This reversal of the usual burden of proof only applies when the consumer is seeking a repair or replacement. After the first six months the onus of proof is again on the consumer.

Q10. What can I do to claim damages or if the retailer will not honour my rights?

The Small Claims Court procedure provides the means to bring a claim, for up to £5000 (in England and Wales), at modest cost and without the need for a solicitor. Your local Citizens Advice Bureau can advise on how to make a claim.

CEO of Littlewoods email address alex.baldock@shopdirect.com
    Last edited by vanman; 17th May 2014, 01:34:AM.
    Don't let them grind you down

Comment

Re: Faulty tablet

vanman thanks for the reply.
      The tablet bought from Littlewoods no longer exists is was exchanged for another one with the manufactures support department.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
      Working...
      X