• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Debt management firms selling 'unsuitable' plans, says FCA

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Debt management firms selling 'unsuitable' plans, says FCA

Before bankruptcy I went for debt management and to be honest I couldn't see an incentive to do it. I would have paid £1400 over 5 years, because of my home the debt wouldn't have been reduced by much and after 4 years of a 5 year plan they would still have looked into selling my home to pay off the original debt. At least I was given this info before making the choice. Even though I wouldn't want to see people being able to run up debts and walk away from them I would like to see it easier and more cost effective for people to live with their debt burden without resorting to them walking away in an voluntary arrangement or bankruptcy. I know people are being punished with the IVA or bankruptcy but the creditors are only piling on their losses to the others who are paying either by increasing prices or reducing benefits or both.

Comment

Originally posted by Tools View Post
      The incentive could be taken as a % of the amount removed.

i.e a £1000 total debt which includes £100 of spurious charges would be reduced to £900. Of that £100 saved by the creditor the DMP could quite reasonably take say 10-30% in fees, the debtor is in front by £70-£90 and the DMP operator makes £10-£30 and gains additional "customers" through being known to help in these situations.

I think I should start a DMP Company, I'd be grrrrrrrrrrreat lol.

'appen you would, don't let Ame get involved though she would let em all off lol xx

I know when the lads statement came (he was with CCCS) it was all daft amounts deducted from the debt and tbh the amount never seemed to move at all, that in itself is a big let down imo.
      Perhaps if you did pay over 12 month and kept to it maybe then they could knock a bit off too as an incentive. They surely have to do something to help folks as it is most definitely 50/50 as to who's fault the debt is in most genuine cases.

Comment

Just a foot note, if you have drunk a lot of beer and saved 1p per pint and won on the bingo then you should be able to pay a little extra some months :tongue2:

Comment

Good old government rhetoric, all debtors are drunken gamblers as opposed to normal people who are supporting them all and are debt free. LOL

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
          Working...
          X