• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Jon0910 Voluntary Termination & Mileage Issues

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Jon0910 Voluntary Termination & Mileage Issues

Originally posted by WAL View Post
    Dear Rob
    I have now heard from RMS Receivables 8 weeks to the day regarding their claim for damages to vehicle Peugeot 208) and excess mileage.
    They are willing to write off damages to vehicle (how good of them!)
    With regard to the excess mileage they referr me to section 99 AND 100 and specifically Section 100 subsection 4 of the CCA. AND 101 subsection 2.

They add this
    Paying in excess of the 50%will nobet take into account regarding the charges.Why would this be the case?Yoy have the vehicle for the extra period of time.The contractual agreement was actually forc 37 monthsbut was handed back after 27 mojnths,again paying over 50 %is irrelevant.
    Our client Peugeot financial services agree to accept less than less than the full amount of the total debt .Peogeot Financial Services agree to accept the sum of £1289.86 for the excess mileage amount.
    What should I do next.I think they are trying to hoodwink me.WAL
    p

First of all, section 101 refers to hire agreements not hire purchase/conditional sale agreements so that is not applicable. s.101(4) relates to not taking reasonable care of the goods, where's the proof that the excess mileage means the goods weren't reasonable taken care of? if the car has already been sold at auction i highly doubt they're going to have any proof at all. Ping off a letter of something like the below to them or to suit your needs, they probably know they cannot enforce any excess mileage charges and they will no doubt continue to harass you for the money and make you think you owe it, but as you have VT'd your agreement, there is nothing they can do.

------------------------------

Dear Sirs,

I write in response to your email/letter dated [ ].

I'm afraid your knowledge on the Consumer Credit Act appears to be somewhat lacking in relation to a consumer's right to terminate the agreement. Might I also point out that your reference to s.101(2) is not applicable, as the section specifically refers to hire agreements; the agreement taken out was a hire purchase/conditional sale agreement.

s.100 outlines the liability of the debtor on terminating the agreement in accordance with s.99 of the Act. Provided that half the total price payable under the agreement has been reached, the debtor's liability is restricted to that amount. I refer you to the definitions of the Act under s.189, more specifically the definition of "total amount". As you will note, total price is defined as a sum payable under the agreement but excluding any sum as a penalty or as compensation or as damages for breach of the agreement. You will also notice that the total amount payable under my agreement is [£ ], and therefore half of the total amount payable equates to [£ ]. The total amount payable does not include any charges for excess mileage, I have paid half of the amount in accordance with ss.99-100 and I am therefore under no further obligation to pay any further monies to you. Furthermore, the excess mileage charge forms part of the contractual agreement and although you may argue that this is a breach of the agreement, the Act specifically excludes any penalties, compensation or damages as part of the total price for the purposes of terminating in accordance with s.99 of the Act.

To further clarify matters, in First Response v Donnelly the judge confirmed that where a debtor exercises their right to terminate the agreement in accordance with s.99, the liability of the debtor will be limited to the amount set out under s.100(1), namely one half of the total amount payable and in this case, [£ ].

I also note that you appear to rely upon s.100(4) alleging that I have failed to reasonably take care of the vehicle. You have yet to supply myself with any substantial evidence which shows that the car was not returned to yourself in a reasonable condition. As such, if it is your intent to rely on this particular section, please provide me with the relevant documentary evidence that the car was not in a reasonable condition in relation to the excess mileage.

In light of the above, it would appear that your interpretation of the Act is simply incorrect and for the reasons set out above, please treat this letter/email as my final position on the matter. I do not intend to correspond any further unless it is your intention to commence legal proceedings, which I shall defend in full. I confirm that I accept service of proceedings to the following address [ ].

Please note that should you continue to contact me requesting payment without any intention of issuing proceedings, this shall be deemed harassment and I will consider taking further action and or measures against RMS Receivables as a result.

Yours faithfully
    Last edited by R0b; 28th December 2015, 13:38:PM.
    If you have a question about the voluntary termination process, please read this guide first, as it should have all the answers you need. Please do not hijack another person's thread as I will not respond to you
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    LEGAL DISCLAIMER
    Please be aware that this is a public forum and is therefore accessible to anyone. The content I post on this forum is not intended to be legal advice nor does it establish any client-lawyer type relationship between you and me. Therefore any use of my content is at your own risk and I cannot be held responsible in any way. It is always recommended that you seek independent legal advice.

Comment

Originally posted by R0b View Post

First of all, section 101 refers to hire agreements not hire purchase/conditional sale agreements so that is not applicable. s.101(4) relates to not taking reasonable care of the goods, where's the proof that the excess mileage means the goods weren't reasonable taken care of? if the car has already been sold at auction i highly doubt they're going to have any proof at all. Ping off a letter of something like the below to them or to suit your needs, they probably know they cannot enforce any excess mileage charges and they will no doubt continue to harass you for the money and make you think you owe it, but as you have VT'd your agreement, there is nothing they can do.

------------------------------

Dear Sirs,

I write in response to your email/letter dated [ ].

I'm afraid your knowledge on the Consumer Credit Act appears to be somewhat lacking in relation to a consumer's right to terminate the agreement. Might I also point out that your reference to s.101(2) is not applicable, as the section specifically refers to hire agreements; the agreement taken out was a hire purchase/conditional sale agreement.

s.100 outlines the liability of the debtor on terminating the agreement in accordance with s.99 of the Act. Provided that half the total price payable under the agreement has been reached, the debtor's liability is restricted to that amount. I refer you to the definitions of the Act under s.189, more specifically the definition of "total amount". As you will note, total price is defined as a sum payable under the agreement but excluding any sum as a penalty or as compensation or as damages for breach of the agreement. You will also notice that the total amount payable under my agreement is [£ ], and therefore half of the total amount payable equates to [£ ]. The total amount payable does not include any charges for excess mileage, I have paid half of the amount in accordance with ss.99-100 and I am therefore under no further obligation to pay any further monies to you. Furthermore, the excess mileage charge forms part of the contractual agreement and although you may argue that this is a breach of the agreement, the Act specifically excludes any penalties, compensation or damages as part of the total price for the purposes of terminating in accordance with s.99 of the Act.

To further clarify matters, in First Response v Donnelly the judge confirmed that where a debtor exercises their right to terminate the agreement in accordance with s.99, the liability of the debtor will be limited to the amount set out under s.100(1), namely one half of the total amount payable and in this case, [£ ].

I also note that you appear to rely upon s.100(4) alleging that I have failed to reasonably take care of the vehicle. You have yet to supply myself with any substantial evidence which shows that the car was not returned to yourself in a reasonable condition. As such, if it is your intent to rely on this particular section, please provide me with the relevant documentary evidence that the car was not in a reasonable condition in relation to the excess mileage.

In light of the above, it would appear that your interpretation of the Act is simply incorrect and for the reasons set out above, please treat this letter/email as my final position on the matter. I do not intend to correspond any further unless it is your intention to commence legal proceedings, which I shall defend in full. I confirm that I accept service of proceedings to the following address [ ].

Please note that should you continue to contact me requesting payment without any intention of issuing proceedings, this shall be deemed harassment and I will consider taking further action and or measures against RMS Receivables as a result.

Yours faithfully
      Thanks ROB
      I was thinking of adding " including any invoices paid for by Peugeot"after relevant documentary evidence in the para relating to reasonable condition.The fact that they "are willing to write off the amount of £510 for damages " to the vehicle speaks volumes or should I just leave it as you suggest>I just don't want to resurrect more correspondence on the condition of the car >
      Wal

Comment

Originally posted by WAL View Post
        Thanks ROB
        I was thinking of adding " including any invoices paid for by Peugeot"after relevant documentary evidence in the para relating to reasonable condition.The fact that they "are willing to write off the amount of £510 for damages " to the vehicle speaks volumes or should I just leave it as you suggest>I just don't want to resurrect more correspondence on the condition of the car >
        Wal
        I wouldn't mention it, no need to help them along and leave it up to them to supply you with any evidence they feel is relevant. Exactly, if they are willing to write off £510 just like that then it would appear to indicate that the car was returned in a reasonable condition. You could add that in the 3rd paragraph "To clarify matters ..." at the end and say something like, In your previous correspondence you acknowledge writing off the full amount of the alleged damage totalling £510 which would seem to me that you agree that the vehicle was returned to you in a reasonable condition given its age, and I can see no basis for you claiming that the vehicle was not in a reasonable condition pursuant to s.100(4).
        If you have a question about the voluntary termination process, please read this guide first, as it should have all the answers you need. Please do not hijack another person's thread as I will not respond to you
        - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
        LEGAL DISCLAIMER
        Please be aware that this is a public forum and is therefore accessible to anyone. The content I post on this forum is not intended to be legal advice nor does it establish any client-lawyer type relationship between you and me. Therefore any use of my content is at your own risk and I cannot be held responsible in any way. It is always recommended that you seek independent legal advice.

Comment

Originally posted by R0b View Post
          I wouldn't mention it, no need to help them along and leave it up to them to supply you with any evidence they feel is relevant. Exactly, if they are willing to write off £510 just like that then it would appear to indicate that the car was returned in a reasonable condition. You could add that in the 3rd paragraph "To clarify matters ..." at the end and say something like, In your previous correspondence you acknowledge writing off the full amount of the alleged damage totalling £510 which would seem to me that you agree that the vehicle was returned to you in a reasonable condition given its age, and I can see no basis for you claiming that the vehicle was not in a reasonable condition pursuant to s.100(4).
          Morning Rob
          Seems to make sense to insert your addition regarding the write off as above and leave out the the 4th para referring to s100(4) and the supply of relevant docuements or do you feel this should stay in?
          Regards
          Wal

Comment

I also note that you appear to rely upon s.100(4) alleging that I have failed to reasonably take care of the vehicle. You have yet to supply myself with any substantial evidence which shows that the car was not returned to yourself in a reasonable condition. As acknowledged in your previous letter/email, you have agreed to write of the alleged damage to the vehicle totalling £510. It would appear to me that as a result of the write off, you are in agreement that the vehicle was returned to yourselves in a reasonable condition, and therefore I can see no basis in your attempt to recover the excess mileage charges pursuant to s.100(4) even though it cannot lawfully be recovered. Nonetheless, if it is your intent to rely on this particular section, please provide me with the relevant documentary evidence that the car was not in a reasonable condition in relation to the excess mileage.
            Sorry, I meant insert into paragraph 4, something like the above in red.
            LEGAL DISCLAIMER

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
            Working...
            X