• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Informing DCA's of change of address

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Informing DCA's of change of address

Hello,

Just looking for some advice - I moved address earlier this year (I don't move around a lot, only twice in the past five years) and happened to notice a CCJ on my credit file this month. It's all paid off now and will come off my file, but I'm concerned about claims being issued against me at my old address.

I have a lot of debt from when I was a student which I ended up basically not paying back (not proud of this!) - since then, I've had letters from time to time but ignored them. My current address was updated when I moved with the bank and my credit card provider, and the links are all on my credit report - I've not yet had any letters from DCA's to here though.

I'm now concerned that I may get further claims (most of my debt should be statute barred by this time next year). Lowell in particular have purchased quite a few different debts and I know they have a habit of rolling them up into one claim.

I have alerts set up on my credit report, but what is the best way to ensure I know I've received a claim so I can either defend it or pay it off in time for it not to affect my credit?

My main concern is that if I write to the DCAs with my new address, it will constitute acknowledging the debt.

There are 15+ defaults, mainly low amounts, a total nearly £12k - the largest creditor is Lowells who have approx £3k of debt on my credit file. Their first debt is SB'd in November so if they're going to issue against me, now's probably when they'll do it.

The other thing I'm worried about is that I'm sure there are a couple of debts which are not showing - so I don't even know which DCA is dealing with those (I can't fully remember who the original creditors were) so I can't make them aware.

I managed to borrow the money (off a good friend) to pay off the recent CCJ as I couldn't risk a set-aside being refused and can't have a CCJ due to my job, but this isn't likely to be possible to do next time so I want the opportunity to defend, or at least stretch out the time I have).

Hopefully this all makes sense!
    Tags: None

Re: Informing DCA's of change of address

Originally posted by TSx View Post
    Hello,

Just looking for some advice - I moved address earlier this year (I don't move around a lot, only twice in the past five years) and happened to notice a CCJ on my credit file this month. It's all paid off now and will come off my file, but I'm concerned about claims being issued against me at my old address.
    Is there any way you can arrange to have your post redirected to your new address? Royal Mail offer this service for a modest fee: https://www.royalmail.com/personal/r...il/redirection

You may want to check with them whether you can still order this service even though you've already moved. Alternatively, you could arrange for the new tenant/owner to forward you the mail (you may have to offer to pay their costs and a bit more for the inconvenience) or make arrangements for you to collect it at certain intervals, if you don't live far away.
    I have a lot of debt from when I was a student which I ended up basically not paying back (not proud of this!) - since then, I've had letters from time to time but ignored them. My current address was updated when I moved with the bank and my credit card provider, and the links are all on my credit report - I've not yet had any letters from DCA's to here though.

I'm now concerned that I may get further claims (most of my debt should be statute barred by this time next year). Lowell in particular have purchased quite a few different debts and I know they have a habit of rolling them up into one claim.
    That wouldn't stop them issuing a claim, if you fail to respond/defend, they could obtain default judgment even on a SBd debt. :scared:

I have alerts set up on my credit report, but what is the best way to ensure I know I've received a claim so I can either defend it or pay it off in time for it not to affect my credit?
    That won't tell you when they've issued proceedings, claims are not recorded on your credit file, only CCJs.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
    Working...
    X