• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Defaulted account and debt sale

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Defaulted account and debt sale

In normal circumstances a debt is defaulted and a default notice is sent prior to any type of debt sale. This much i know to be true. however I have arrears on an account from 2009 that has been sold to a debt purchaser called Lowell financial and has never been defaulted. I received no default notice, The account is no longer on my credit file at all, and Lowell have confirmed that they have no record of the account having been defaulted. What are my rights in this kind of situation.
    Tags: None

Re: Defaulted account and debt sale

Originally posted by friskydragon View Post
    In normal circumstances a debt is defaulted and a default notice is sent prior to any type of debt sale. This much i know to be true. however I have arrears on an account from 2009 that has been sold to a debt purchaser called Lowell financial and has never been defaulted. I received no default notice, The account is no longer on my credit file at all, and Lowell have confirmed that they have no record of the account having been defaulted. What are my rights in this kind of situation.
    If it's not on your credit file, there's no need to worry about it, as long as Lowell don't go and record a fresh default. Even if it wasn't officially defaulted in terms of issuing you with a DN, breaking the agreement with your creditor by failing to make contractual payments would meet the criteria set out by the ICO guidance for a default:http://ico.org.uk/~/media/documents/...%20%20doc.ashx
    The definition of a default
    9 A ‘default’ can be said to occur as soon as a borrower fails to meet the terms of their credit arrangement. However, adopting this definition for credit referencing purposes would create difficulties since it is accepted that not all these defaults should be reported, for example, where weekly payments are late but are quickly remedied.
    The term ‘default’, when recorded on a credit reference file should be used to refer to a situation when “the lender in a standard business relationship with the individual decides the relationship has broken down”2.

2Definition of ‘Default Data’ from ‘Information Sharing – Principles of Reciprocity’ available from credit reference agencies or at http://www.experian.co.uk/corporate/...ing/index/html
    As for the lack of default notice, that would really only come into play if you were taken to court for this debt.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
    Working...
    X