• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Paying a CCJ but now threatened with a Statutory Demand. Why? Help, please.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Paying a CCJ but now threatened with a Statutory Demand. Why? Help, please.

Summary and developments-----------------------re statutory demand
    1. Just over a year ago, I (as claimant) took an ex friend to court (defendant) as he was harassing me. I was requesting an injunction against him under Protection From Harassment Act 1997.
    2. I represented myself.
    3. There was an initial hearing that I attended, along with the defendant and the defendant's solicitor. A date was set for the second hearing.
    4. Before the second hearing , I struck out the hearings on health grounds, wrongly and mistakenly informing all parties of this fact by letter as opposed to using form N279.
    5. The defendant's solicitor attended the second hearing that I didn't think was going to happen (as I believed I had already struck out proceedings by the letter) and proceedings were struck out formally, in my absence.
    6. A week later after this, in August 2013, I received an N244, with the exact wording ------ "IT IS ORDERED THATThe claimant do pay the Defendants costs assessed at £2k".
    7. With my background of accountancy, I did NOT understand it was a CCJ (If I had done, I would have immediately disputed the amount AND if that didn't work, I would have applied for a Tomlin order AND if that didn't work my family and friends would have paid it in 30 days to save my career so the embarrassing CCJ would not appear on credit reports)....I honestly believed it was an invoice, admittedly for an extortionate amount, that I would fight, in due course when, as I assumed, the creditor would start chasing me for payment
    8. After hearing nothing for two months I wrote a letter to the court (October 2013), saying that I would pay the £2k in a few months (as I believed I would get a job soon) and I stupidly did not question the amount .
    8. After hearing nothing for four months I formally requested a hearing re the £2k (February 2014) - I requested a suspension only (as I still honestly believed I would get a job soon) - the result was that I was ordered to pay £1 per month by the judge at the Hearing.
    9. The wording of the N244 (April 2014) is"IT IS ORDERED THATThe Claimant to pay the debt at the rate of £1 per month"
    10. The defendant's solicitor threatened me with bailiffs by phone soon after.
    11. I wrote to him and very stupidly said in the letter -"If you had informed me of your costs BEFORE obtaining the CCJ from the court, my parents would have sold their car and the debt would have been paid on my behalf, since I have no money or assets". This is true by the way...and demonstrates how little I understood things
    12. The solicitor rang back and said he was not going to pursue bailiffs but instead pursue a statutory demand instead...morally repugnant , I know,........ but I had sadly made him realise in my letter to him that the debt would be paid on my behalf by other people close to me, since they want to help me ---- an accountant prefers a "satisfied CCJ" as opposed to "bankruptcy" on credit reports, which are looked at by prospective employers
    13. I have no genuine reason to get the CCJ set aside....in fact, the defendant's solicitor rang me and said that, in a hypothetical situation, I would have been expected to phone the court if I didn't know what to do about the original N244 ordering me to pay £2k, and my chances of set aside are virtually nil.
    14. He then said that "as a favour" (ahem), when the CCJ was paid, he would make a cross reference on the "explanatory notes / notice of correction" for my credit reports - i.e. a letter from the solicitor (him) explaining that ""I didn't realise it was a CCJ and that as soon as I
    did,the CCJ was paid immediately"".....a slight improvement to my credit report:tinysmile_cry_t: ???
    15a. PS - one last thing, of the £2k, the solicitor explained £1.5k would go to pay off the defendant's debt to him...BUT why should I pay those costs as the defendant didn't win the case? It was merely struck off.
    15b. Moreover, the solicitor kept saying, the debt I have to pay relates purely to "legal costs" as a result of me not completing the N279 and the solicitor having to attend court himself to formally strike off proceedings. ...and that costs £2k...REALLY?:tinysmile_cry_t:

BRILLIANT FORUM -THANKS!..You've all been brilliant in "giving your opinion" so far in my case. I would be really grateful if you could give me your opinion on whether I should try to set aside the CCJ. :tinysmile_grin_t::tinysmile_grin_t::tinysmile_gri n_t:Personally, I think that sometimes you have to just accept the slap in the face and move on...is getting the CCJ paid on my behalf my best course of action, do you think? To be honest, I'm so angry with the moral repugnancy of going down the statutory demand route, knowing I have no money myself...but on the one per cent chance (IMO) that I fight the bankruptcy petition and lose, it will literally bankrupt my family as well as me to pay thousands of pounds more costs...
    Last edited by Goldie; 22nd May 2014, 10:04:AM.

Comment

''I attended a hearing and the judge ordered me to pay £1 per month, as I am unemployed . I am sticking to the Agreement.''

''The wording of the N244 (April 2014) is"IT IS ORDERED THATThe Claimant to pay the debt at the rate of £1 per month" ''

In that case I don't believe they can do anything unless you breach the order, without applying to the court to vary the order made. I would give National Debtline a call to double check though but it sounds to me like they are trying to intimidate you. I'm going to check so we know for sure the situation on this.
      #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps

Comment

And yes unfortunately you need to accept the slap and move on, BUT, do not put up with further harassment from this ex friend. If it continues go to the police, or citizens advice, don't try obtaining an injunction under protection from harrassment on your own through the courts again.
        #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps

Comment

Thank you for your email received on 26 May 2014, addressed to the FCA complaints scheme. It has been passed to me in the contact centre to provide you with a response.

As I understand it you are writing to us with your concerns of the use of Statutory Demands by debt collection companies.

Firstly, I should explain that the Financial Conduct Authority (FCA) took over the regulation of consumer credit from the Office of Fair Trading on 1 April 2014, which has now closed.

The Consumer Credit Source Book (CONC) found within the FCA Handbook contains the guidance and rules that companies regulated by ourselves should follow. Non-compliance with our rules will call into question the company’s authorisation.

Sections CONC 7.3.14 and CONC 7.3.15 appear to be relevant to your enquiry.

CONC 7.3.14

(1) A firm must not take disproportionate action against a customer in arrears or default.

(2) In accordance with (1) a firm must not, in particular, apply to court for an order for sale or submit a bankruptcy petition, without first having fully explored any more proportionate options.

CONC 7.3.15

A firm should not make undue, excessive or otherwise unfair use of statutory demands (within the meaning of section 268 of the Insolvency Act 1986) when seeking to recover a debt from a customer.

I attach a link to the CONC sections below:

http://fshandbook.info/FS/html/FCA/CONC/7/3

We are constrained from disclosing specific details about any subsequent regulatory action taken in relation to complaints, should it be appropriate to take such action, until it is complete or reaches a stage where the law permits disclosure.

If the FCA takes any formal action (i.e. to revoke authorisation or impose requirements) these details will appear on the FCA's Financial Services Register
          I attach link to the register below:

http://fca-consumer-credit-interim.f...rSearchPageNew

I trust this information is of assistance.

Yours sincerely,

David Annis
          Customer Contact Centre
          Financial Conduct Authority
          Consumer Helpline 0880 111 6768
          Website www.fca.org.uk
          Email consumer.queries@fca.org.uk

--------------- Original Message ---------------

Sent: 26 May 2014 19:43

To: Complaints Scheme

Subject: ABUSE OF PROCESS

What investigation actual Regulation amendment/enforcement are you going to undertake against mis-use of this criminal injustice against
          a consumer, so many DCAs such as Lowells, Wescot and more it seems are abusing so called old guidelines where it state d should not be used as a debt collection tool?

If there is no intended action please inform me as this is an area under human need to be dealt a stiff blow to the purgtrators of
          this harrasement tool.?

This is a question for yourselves not an actual complaint to any DCA mentioned but injustice being given out by DCAs .

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
          Working...
          X