• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

rights for copy of the will etc

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• rights for copy of the will etc

Hi
    I've been reading through this information and I think I am right in saying that I am entitled to see my later mother's will, but after requesting this from the solicitor he has informed me that he needs permission from the executor, who is also one of my sisters. As we are all equal issue of my late mother I thought it was a legal requirement to be complied with, the request of copy of will I mean. Am I right? My sisters have apparently been discussing whether to ignore my request and queries re Probate.

thank you.
    Last edited by gwenlillian; 8th May 2014, 11:03:AM. Reason: typo
    Tags: None

Re: rights for copy of the will etc

Has probate already been obtained? if so you could check the register at the relevant probate court/office

Comment

Only the executors are entitled to see the will and are not obliged to show it to any one else.
      Once probate has been granted the will is public record and you can apply to the probate office for a copy.

Comment

thanks - think I've maybe posted in the wrong place but not sure how to move into probate etc. meantime, to add more info, I was sent a consent form by the solicitors to sign, we all were, we signed assuming this was because we were all beneficiaries but now think this was a form to ask the bank to release monies from accounts before probate. I was told that Probate was not required as it was a small estate, now I see the Application for Grant of Probate online and have written to the solicitors querying this, and at the same time requested a copy of the will, this is when they state they must ask the executor. So, I presume I have to wait the 6 week period for the Grant to become effective and then, request a copy from the public record - is that right? Oh, and to add even more confusion, it is all overseas, I am in UK.

Comment

I understand there is no rule regarding the right of a beneficiary to see the will before probate: it's a grey area. An executor would have to provide a very good reason for non-disclosure if challenged in court. Some countries have already ruled that beneficiaries do have a right to see the will.

Comment

This post is dated May 2014. Why has it been resurrected?

Comment

Originally posted by enquirer View Post
              This post is dated May 2014. Why has it been resurrected?
              It's only June 2014!
              These things take time

Comment

Good Luck! My executor siblings didn't even let me know Probate had been granted. I read somewhere that there is no 'law' stating they have to give you a copy of the will. I got a copy of my dad's will from the local court myself.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                Working...
                X