• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Victim of Fraud.......Again !!!!!!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Victim of Fraud.......Again !!!!!!

Just been informed that my sister-in-law has been a victim of fraud for the second time this year.
    First time was with her Virgin credit card where several hundreds of pounds was spent without her consent. Apparently someone, somehow got hold of her credit card details.
    A few days ago someone emptied her bank account. The bank had flagged a £200 internet transaction in Barcelona, although she is in the UK. A day or so later several another internet transactions totaling £700 were made. £1000 in total.
    The bank have agreed to refund all the monies, what happens next though? we don't get to hear about how the fraud gets investigated, any info on that Nat?

The £700 worth of transactions are still pending and may or may not be paid, she has to wait till Monday to find out from the bank.
    Someone has got hold of her current account debit card details or cloned her card.

What I don't understand is they made purchases to the value of the account balance which in my mind, shows they must have had access somehow to her account balance. If that is the case they would have the account number as well

Sooooo ........... I think that we need some advice on banking security. Not just on the obvious like not giving out details but also the not so obvious like tiny pin hole cameras being fitted to cash point machines to take a snap shot of your card numbers and your pin. This has happened on a few ATM's in my area.

Any tips on security would be good for everyone

Re: Victim of Fraud.......Again !!!!!!

Did the branch or call centre give her the fraud centre telephone number?
    She can call them tomorrow and speak with them. If they are pending they can be stopped. With regards to the one that has already gone through then they should refund it.
    They should have marked her card as STOLEN and a new one ordered. The new card will have a NEW PAN ie the number across the middle of the card.
    Any further advice from me and just post on here and will come back to you.

Comment

she went into branch and reported the situation and it was the branch that called the fraud centre. They reckon the card cannot be reported as stolen cuz she still had the card.....I had to laugh.

It's ok for someone to have the information that gives access to an account but not the plastic bit. A new card has been issued.

The bank has agreed to pay the initial £200 and should refuse the £700 transaction.

Apparently whoever it was tried to book a holiday using Nordic Airlines, so assuming Nordic are Swedish. swear word, swear word, swear word.

Comment

That is total baloney, because their choice is Lost marker when clearly it is not lost, or Stolen marker because funds have been stolen from her account.
        If they did not put a stolen marker on the card then how can they report it as they are supposed to under the Fraud Act 2007.

Comment

Tell you what would be a good idea, I very simple guide in what to do and what to say when you are a victim of fraud.

I slight insiders guide for the customer so they are not given the runaround every time.

Soooo if they haven't reported the card stolen, they cannot inform the fraud centre?
          And if fraud has taken place, the bank HAVE to report the card as stolen pursuant to the Fraud Act?

is that right?

Comment

I think you have just given me a project to do. What sorts of things do you want me to focus on?

Comment

lol your the expert

but how about:

possible fraudulent use. i.e you notice a dodgy transaction on your statement
              Who best to contact first? What to say? etc

Card lost / Card Stolen
              Who to call? what to say? what not to say? etc

ATM machine been tampered with i.e card slot/keypad/surround been tampared with
              Who to call? what to say? etc

Anything else you can think of

Comment

Will have a think about it and do so. Am not sure the WHAT to say bit is really necessary but will work on it.

Comment

Does she use online banking?
                  Does she download from the internet?

Comment

Originally posted by PKea View Post
                    Does she use online banking?
                    Does she download from the internet?
                    Hiya Pk

Yes she uses internet banking and brother downloads from tinternet.
                    They also have purchased items over the internet but not for a very long time and I'm sure brother has done a couple of re-formats since then.

Comment

Card fraud is too easy, the banking industry is a complete sham. I was on holiday in greece in the summer, I decided to buy cigaretts to bring home with me. I went into the shop told them what i wanted and gave my card over. I didn't sign anything, I didn't need my pin number, I wasn't asked to produce any identification what so ever. On returning home I phoned the card suppliers and cancelled it. I thought if it was that easy for me to spend on it, well it would be easy for anybody to clone it and do the same. I must admit I was tempted to report the transaction as a fraudulant transaction but you know me, far too honest.
                      Borrow money from a pessimist -- they don't expect it back.

Comment

I know of three cases in my immediate family that have also been victims of card cloning and the money taken about abroad.

My question is now that the banks are investigating and not the police how wioll we know how widespread the problem is becoming? How will the public be able to see accumulated figures from all the banks as to whether these crimes are increasing - how much is it costing and what the total number of events is per month?

Jan
                        "What makes the desert beautiful is that somewhere it hides a well." - Antione de Saint Exupery

"Always reach for the moon, if you miss you'll end up among the stars"

Comment

Change in the Fraud Act April 2007 with the banks reporting to the police. Interesting question for someone who may want to do a freedom of information request to the banks.

Comment

The banks' have no obligations under the Freedom of Information Act 2000.

Comment

Then it is the police then, I did think there would be an issue after I posted it.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                              Working...
                              X