• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Charging Order attached to Late Fathers Mortgage - Want to sell Property

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Charging Order attached to Late Fathers Mortgage - Want to sell Property

Hi Everybody,

I was wondering if somebody can please assist me in this very difficult situation.
    Would just like to point that I have not taken any advise form Solicitors or lawyers yet however I do intend to.

I am currently the executor of my fathers will, he passed away some 2 years ago and I have just had the chance and courage to start the process of applying for the probate and possibly execute his will.

The only estate is the family home that we are currently living in which is in joint mortgage (mum and dad). My mum is suggesting we sell the property pay off the mortgage and move to a rented property for the time being.

The problem I have is that there are currently 2 charges for vehicle finance attached or registered at the Land Registry. Both the creditors have "forgotten" or not chased for them. I guess they have the charge so they are not worried. (I used to deal with my dads finances when he was alive).

The problem I have was that I would have liked to clear the debts before putting the property on the market as I believe I can obtain a lower settlement figure (or a discount) if I were to clear the debt without even giving them a sniff of the idea of selling the property.

1) Can somebody tell me if they have had a similar situation in which they have obtained a discount to pay off the debt
    2) Do I need to get in touch with the mortgage company and notify them of the death and for the time being my mother is happy to make the payments (no arrears)
    3) If there are charges on the property does the creditor need to agree to the sale of the house without clearing the outstanding debt?
    4) What is the process of transferring the house to my mother at Land Registry?

The reason I am hoping to clear the debts at a lower amount is that otherwise we wont have anything left after the selling the house.
    I would appreciate any help or direction in this matter.

Thank you

Re: Charging Order attached to Late Fathers Mortgage - Want to sell Property

Originally posted by asr View Post
    I am currently the executor of my fathers will, he passed away some 2 years ago and I have just had the chance and courage to start the process of applying for the probate and possibly execute his will.
    A delay of 2 years will certainly cause questions to be asked. Did you inform the DWP, HMRC etcetera at the time of his death?

The problem I have is that there are currently 2 charges for vehicle finance attached or registered at the Land Registry. Both the creditors have "forgotten" or not chased for them. I guess they have the charge so they are not worried.
    See below.

The problem I have was that I would have liked to clear the debts before putting the property on the market as I believe I can obtain a lower settlement figure (or a discount) if I were to clear the debt without even giving them a sniff of the idea of selling the property.
    Whose debts are they?

2) Do I need to get in touch with the mortgage company and notify them of the death and for the time being my mother is happy to make the payments (no arrears)
    Yes.

If there are charges on the property does the creditor need to agree to the sale of the house without clearing the outstanding debt?
    You will need to inform them. They may be willing to wait.

4) What is the process of transferring the house to my mother at Land Registry?
    Did they own the property between them, and if so, how?

Comment

Originally posted by enquirer View Post
      A delay of 2 years will certainly cause questions to be asked. Did you inform the DWP, HMRC etcetera at the time of his death?

See below.

Whose debts are they?
      The debts are int he name of my late father

Yes.

You will need to inform them. They may be willing to wait.

Did they own the property between them, and if so, how?
      They owned the property on mortgage Joint ownership.

Comment

DWP and HMRC etc have been notified.

Thanks

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
        Working...
        X