• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Please help/ logbook loan and bailiffs! Stressed and so upset!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Please help/ logbook loan and bailiffs! Stressed and so upset!

Hi All

I am really hoping for some constructive advice as I have been sat for the last 4 days not eating properly, no sleep, worrying, crying and it's making me so ill.

I stupidly took out a logbook loan, but then the circumstance got worse and I couldn't meet a couple of replayments, so they added some charges. I kept agreeing amounts with the company, and then when it came to the date they were going to take it, it had increased again, so a couple of my payments defaulted. Things got even worse and I had to sell the car, last August, to a garage, to raise some money. The finance company was told this had happened, but I, at the time, thought there is only 2 payments left I can manage that then we are all square. WRONG!

Then in February, the amount was £375 that I owed them, so I told them that partner was about to start a new job, gets paid on x date and could I split the £375 over a few months.

Then I had an email from them saying my vehicle is in danger out for repossession (even though I don't own it, and I definitely don't want the car being taken off people that are innocent)

Last Friday I had 2 bailiffs turn up at my door, did a check on the vehicle as I said it wasn't mine and told them what I had offered to the finance company as a monthly installment, they then said the amount was now not £375, but £1200 - IN 2 MONTHS! and that they want this amount, in full, on 30th April, or they will find who has the car and repossess it.

The original logbook loan was for £400 for a 2003 plate Astra, so it's not worth a huge amount anyway.

I have, this morning, sent another email to the finance company, saying I cannot afford this is one amount, but have offered £120 a month, but could they please explain why it has gone up so drastically in amount, but I have yet to hear back from them.

Is there ANYTHING, please I can do?

I have spoken to CAB who werent really very helpful.

The garage I sold the car to, knew there was a small amount of finance outstanding, but it would appear after speaking to people, he is dodgy, and reknowned for buying and selling cars with finance and not passing the information on to the new buyers.

Is the car really going to get taken from innocent people? Even though I am offering to pay literally as much as I can afford to them? I am so worried as the bailiff said the new owners would have my address and basically insinuated that they would likely come round and bash me!

Help :-(
    Tags: None

Re: Please help/ logbook loan and bailiffs! Stressed and so upset!

It won't have been Bailiffs that have visited. For that to happen they would have had to have taken you to Court, obtained a CCJ against you which you then did not pay, and only then can BVailiffs be employed. It will be the common or garden repo man who has visited.

Comment

Originally posted by ploddertom View Post
      It won't have been Bailiffs that have visited. For that to happen they would have had to have taken you to Court, obtained a CCJ against you which you then did not pay, and only then can BVailiffs be employed. It will be the common or garden repo man who has visited.
      Their card says collection services, but when I spoke to CAB they said it was baliffs as I hadn't had any letters or calls from them?

What can I do?

Comment

Unfortunately the car was not yours to sell, if they track whoever has it now they can repossess the vehicle. Those people in turn could take you to Court for the money they have lost + the finance co can also take you to Court for any shortfall of what you owe them.

I can assure you you the men that called were not Bailiffs.

Comment

Is there any further information on their card ? Company Name / Individual Names / Telephone etc ?
          #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps

Comment

Originally posted by ploddertom View Post
            Unfortunately the car was not yours to sell, if they track whoever has it now they can repossess the vehicle. Those people in turn could take you to Court for the money they have lost + the finance co can also take you to Court for any shortfall of what you owe them.

I can assure you you the men that called were not Bailiffs.
            If they take me to court, then I can only offer what I am currently offering of £120 a month, I literally don't have any more to offer.

Comment

Originally posted by Amethyst View Post
              Is there any further information on their card ? Company Name / Individual Names / Telephone etc ?
              Yeah DG Collection services Ltd, Barry Green Director, based in Bristol, 0117 9716005 and email address dg_collection@btconnect.com

Comment

This is not my field at all but I note Amethyst has looked in maybe she can move you to a better Forum where you can get further help & advice.

Comment

This isn't really my field either but these people certainly appear to be overcharging and forcing you into unfair repayment plans.

Have a read of this:
                  http://www.oft.gov.uk/shared_oft/con...lection_g1.pdf

You could put a complaint into the debt collector, giving them 8 weeks to respond. This would mean the account being placed on hold whilst they investigate your complaint thus giving you time to save a little bit towards the repayments.

You can eventually complain to the FOS if you're not happy, and hope this will get some of these obscene charges reduced.

Comment

I have spoken to step change and they seem to think the best outcome is to still offer (and pay) the £120 a month, as if it goes to court that will be all they would likely get anyway. I have sent an email to the debt people stating my offer of payment and that I will pay the first tomorrow. Also added a couple of OFT quotes in there about unfair and unreasonable charges and not accepting a realistic payment offer

Comment

OFT does not deal with debt collectors anymore. This is now the responsibility of the Financial Conduct Authority (FCA). I would suggest you speak to their Investigations Unit. Unfair/unreasonable/unlawful charges is something they take a hard line with.

As for a logbook loan company going to court to obtain a CCJ, I doubt very much they would do that and run the risk of their questionable fees scrutinised in an open court. They would much prefer Dodgy Dave the Repo Man to do their dirty work than follow due legal process.
                      Life is a journey on which we all travel, sometimes together, but never alone.

Comment

[QUOTE=bluebottle;429037]OFT does not deal with debt collectors anymore. This is now the responsibility of the Financial Conduct Authority (FCA). I would suggest you speak to their Investigations Unit. Unfair/unreasonable/unlawful charges is something they take a hard line with.

As for a logbook loan company going to court to obtain a CCJ, I doubt very much they would do that and run the risk of their questionable fees scrutinised in an open court. They would much prefer Dodgy Dave the Repo Man to do their dirty work than follow due legal process.[/QUOTE

I will contact the FCA.
                        So, what can I do?

Comment

The OFT sets out the guidelines & should be quoted as you have done.

You need to put in a formal complaint to the debt collector and allow them 8 weeks to address it.

You can than escalate it to the FOS. I was under the impression that the FCA had taken over now but it seems the FOS is still the body to contact. You have to give the debt collector an opportunity to address the matter first though.

Comment

[QUOTE=shellsj;429044]
                            Originally posted by bluebottle View Post
                            OFT does not deal with debt collectors anymore. This is now the responsibility of the Financial Conduct Authority (FCA). I would suggest you speak to their Investigations Unit. Unfair/unreasonable/unlawful charges is something they take a hard line with.

As for a logbook loan company going to court to obtain a CCJ, I doubt very much they would do that and run the risk of their questionable fees scrutinised in an open court. They would much prefer Dodgy Dave the Repo Man to do their dirty work than follow due legal process.[/QUOTE

I will contact the FCA.
                            So, what can I do?
                            Ring the Investigations Unit at the FCA and speak to them about this. If arrears are made up, mainly, of excessive, unfair and/or unlawful charges, the FCA can issue a formal warning to the logbook loan company, fine them, revoke their licence and send Kitty round to sort them out (Only joking about the cat with the machine gun.).
                            Life is a journey on which we all travel, sometimes together, but never alone.

Comment

What can the complaint to the debt people (even though their website does say baliffs) say exactly?

I will contact FCA/FOS 1st thing tomorrow as well to speak to them.

This is seriously making me ill worrying about all of this!

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                              Working...
                              X