• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.
  • If you need direct help with your employment issue you can contact us at admin@legalbeaglesgroup.com for further assistance. This will give you access to “off-forum” support on a one-to- one basis from an experienced employment law expert for which we would welcome that you make a donation to help towards their time spent assisting on your matter. You can do this by clicking on the donate button in the box below.

My boss hasn't paid me!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My boss hasn't paid me!

About 5/6 weeks ago I got a part time job in a bar. I've been working around 15-20 a week whilst doing my law degree. It took 3 weeks to get my 1st weeks pay cheque which had been emergency taxed. The next week I got my 2nd cheque which was about £50 underpaid (that wasn't even without the tax taken off). Gradually I've worked over 61 hours which I haven't got a single penny for, that doesn't include the last 2 weeks wages. Because I was told at first that I was going to get a cheque every two weeks, I didn't really think about the money, just assumed i'd get it at some point. The owner who writes the cheques kept saying 'i'll bring them next week' but he never did.

I've had no pay slips to prove if he is even paying me right. I've asked the owner of the bar about the lack of money, but he basically blamed the manager for filling the time sheets out wrong. When I asked the manager about this, he sent me photographic evidence of the forms and he had been filling them in right.

Two other girls quit about a month ago because they were sick of not getting paid, however it is a legal entitlement to pay staff their wages even if they leave. He basically refused and barred them, they are maybe taking legal action to get their money.

Rather than giving me a cheque every week, he's got really behind and owes me money, he also hasn't paid other staff and avoids and ignores calls. He's basically a con man who doesn't wanna pay us and keeps putting it off and blaming other people.

My auntie has been in touch with ACAS and they've said that I should write him a final demand letter, demanding every bit of money to date, and if he doesn't pay within 7 days, he is breaking the law. I dont wanna get sacked or make my job awkward. I wanna leave, but I don't wanna risk loosing my money if I annoy him. It's ridiculous that i'm giving up hours of my time for nothing and I hardly have anything to show for my work!
    Tags: None

Re: My boss hasn't paid me!

If you carry out work for an employer, they are legally required to pay you for that work. It is often found that where an employer is messing around with employees' pay, e.g. not paying, underpaying, they are also messing around with National Insurance, PAYE and VAT.

I think you will find HMRC will be interested in hearing from you and your two former colleagues about this bar owner and their inept manager.
    Life is a journey on which we all travel, sometimes together, but never alone.

Comment

Leave and sue him ! Get a job art a different bar one that actually pays you. I'd also tell your story on your social media .. Completely factually and encourageyour friends not to use that bar . Maybe someone honest will then take over .

Comment

as a law student check your employment contract? no contract you should know what to do, no wage slip? Breech of the wages act and the employment rights act, I would listen to auntie or ask lecturer

Comment

I would give HMRC a call. The only number I can find for them relates to the National Minimum Wage, but they should be able to direct you to the correct section with HMRC as the manner in which your wages are being messed around with could affect your National Insurance contributions record and Income Tax liability. Try 0800 917 2368. Hope this helps.
          Life is a journey on which we all travel, sometimes together, but never alone.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
          See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
          X