• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Relative victim of fraud/investment scam/Bank acted irresponsibly

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Relative victim of fraud/investment scam/Bank acted irresponsibly

Hello All

Not sure quite where to begin here as I have only just began to piece together what has been going on. Also I wasn't totally sure on the best place to post this due to it's complexity! Please feel free to move to a more appropriate section if you feel it's necessary!!

A little bit of background on my uncle:
    Had whooping cough as a child - caused some brain damage which led to developmental problems. He had lived with my grandparents who were able to take care of the financial side of things for him until my grandmothers passing in '97 and my grandfathers shortly after in '98. Despite his issues he was able to continue to work, live and manage a mortgage ongoing for many years.

In 2011 my father became concerned as my uncle began mentioning a series of phone calls about product/stock purchases organised over a number of months via telephone. Now due to my uncles issues in communicating it was not entirely clear what was going on until eventually my dad was able to come up with a few bits of information which I then researched online to discover he had been scammed.

We were unsure at this point of precisely how much money he had lost, and how and who to but began by reporting the fraud via action fraud. This put us in touch with a (now ceased) police investigation called Operation Archway. We gave what little information we had to them and were advised it was unlikely the money would be recoverable. At this stage however we were working under the assumption it was around £3000 that had been sent in cash to an account somewhere in Germany.

We met with my uncle and explained the situation, explaining that he had been scammed and that he must be very cautious when taking telephone calls. There was some discussion of changing his phone number to help ensure he could not be contacted but due to his issues it would have been far too difficult for him to change his telephone number as he would not remember it.

Anyway, besides that more recently I have been able to get a more realistic idea of what was going on and discovered he had been making a series of payments by going into the bank and arranging one-off international bank transfers. We were shocked to find that he had sent a total amount of £19,450.

We have also learned he has taken out some loans with the bank. It would appear as though he has taken out 3 loans, amounting to £30,000 - I have very little paperwork to go by and am not au fait with these things. It could also be that he has made only one loan of £10,000.

Soon he is due in court as he has now made his payments on this/these loan(s) and we have now put him in touch with his local CAB who are hopefully going to assist him in this matter.

I feel very strongly that the bank are totally wrong here for a number of reasons:
    Firstly, having looked at the paperwork the payments he had made to these scammers were in person, in the bank (my uncle wouldn't know the first thing about using a computer) so he would have been assisted in person.
    The payments were totally out of the ordinary for him, and so many things would have made me question their validity.
    Sometimes making two payments in differing currencies to different bank accounts based in Europe. In one case a payment was converted to USD but made to an account located in Cyprus. To me, this would immediately flag up as suspicious. However the payments were authorised, no questions asked.

Secondly, regarding the loans - it would certainly appear very little financial assessments were carried out despite the great national uproar about banks giving out loans 'willy-nilly'. Without wanting to be rude about my uncle it is usually quite apparent he has issues with communication, and again I believe the bank behaved totally irresponsibly by accepting the loan application.

There is more to the story (hence the subject) however at this point I suppose my question is - is there anything that can be done to help my uncle here?

Onto the next bit - as mentioned when we initially discovered the problem we did report this to the police. I have now seen a lot of documents relating to the money sent and discovered the payments made were in fact investments in land, valueless shares and stock purchases.

Pertaining in particular to the land purchases, I have been able to directly connect one of the land investments to an ongoing FCA investigation being carried out to a company based in the UK. I'm not sure at which stage this investigation is at but absolutely know that my uncle was one of the "investors" in this case. Am reluctant to say much about it in a public forum for safety reasons (am happy to provide links to the information via PM if this would be helpful)

From what I can gather however the company involved are still involved in a dispute - I suppose my question here is, if the FCA win would my uncle be eligible to receive his money back through the compensation? Please ask for more details concerning this.

I hope this makes sense though to be honest the shock of the situation hasn't really sunk in and I'm not able to make sense of what is going on.

Well - if you've made it this far without your head spinning - thank you for reading and well done. I will try and be as clear as possible if you have any questions or need any more information.

Thank you for your time!

Rob
    Tags: None

Re: Relative victim of fraud/investment scam/Bank acted irresponsibly

Hello - I have realised I'd forgotten to mention that one of the loans was taken out to make the payment to these off-shore accounts.

I thought I'd summarise exactly what advice I'm looking for as I realise it's all a bit jumbled above!

What can I do to help my uncle?

Should the bank be held to account for allowing the suspicious payments?

Is there any possibility of getting compensation for him following the outcome of the FCA case?

Should the bank be taking him to court considering all the information in original post?

If they can, what rights does he have to state gross negligence?

Thanks again.

Comment

Hello Guys

Just wondered if anyone had had a chance to look at this?

Any help or advice is greatly appreciated

Many thanks

Robin

Comment

Hi Spring break

Unfortunately your posts have been overlooked, someone has just flagged them for a response.

I am reading through it now and will reply once I have digested the info
        Any opinions I give are my own. Any advice I give is without liability. If you are unsure, please seek qualified legal advice.

IF WE HAVE HELPED YOU PLEASE CONSIDER UPGRADING TO VIP - click here

Comment

Hi Rob,

Apologies again for overlooking this, it is preferable to discuss it openly in the thread not by PM but if you are uneasy about this then any info I ask for please PM it to me or we can move the thread to a less visible area to which you will be given access.

To summarise, not judging, forgive me if it sounds blunt

• Your uncle is vulnerable due to learning/mental health difficulties following an illness as a child
          • Your uncle was contacted, initially by telephone, and was invited to invest in several bogus schemes such as land banking, stocks and shares
          • He used savings to invest followed by more funds obtained under a loan/loans from his bank
          • The funds were transferred to various accounts, probably on bank premises and possibly with the assistance of another party (the fraudster)

Not sure about the following

• He has stopped payments on the loan and the bank are taking him to court for non payment?
          • You have connected this to an investigation being carried out by the FCA, what company is the so called investment through?
          • Have you spoken with the FCA about this?
          • Who has it been reported to so far? Police, Action Fraud, his bank, Citizens Advice? What stage if any are investigations at and do you get updated?
          • Has communication from the scammers stopped and has your uncle stopped making payments?

You need to be aware that with this type of fraud he may well be contacted again by the scammers posing as a Fraud Agency offering to recover his money for a fee, this again is a scam so make him aware of that.

If you feel happy doing so please scan/type out any documents you have or records of suspicious payments made removing your uncles personal details (name,address,account number etc) and email them to me so I have some details of the companies involved. You can send them to admin@legalbeagles.info
          Any opinions I give are my own. Any advice I give is without liability. If you are unsure, please seek qualified legal advice.

Comment

Subscribe
            Never give up, Never surrender.

Comment

Hello there

Thanks for looking at this.

Yes your summary is exactly right - in regards to your questions - answers in red

• He has stopped payments on the loan and the bank are taking him to court for non payment? - Yes, I believe that's the case.
              • You have connected this to an investigation being carried out by the FCA, what company is the so called investment through? The company is called "Afric@n Land" (I have replaced a letter in this name so to avoid anyone stumbling across this via google!) - there is some info on them here http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news...ictory-3163168

and

http://www.fca.org.uk/news/consumers...stment-schemes

• Have you spoken with the FCA about this? I have attempted to make contact, but no response as yet
              • Who has it been reported to so far? Police, Action Fraud, his bank, Citizens Advice? What stage if any are investigations at and do you get updated? It has been reported to the police, Action Fraud & Citizens advice - I think the bank are aware but it's not been officially reported as far as I'm aware. We haven't had any update from the police of Action Fraud and his work with the CAB is still ongoing but have asked for an update recently.
              • Has communication from the scammers stopped and has your uncle stopped making payments? We have stopped all comms with the scammers and he's no longer paying any money out.

I will get together all the records ASAP and e-mail them over - thank you ever so much!!

Rob

Comment

If the bank are intending taking your Uncle to court over this has he received any paperwork or has it so far been just demands to repay. You MUST make sure the bank are aware of the FCA case, get onto them asap.

Look forward to seeing any documents on this.

Comment

Any update on this SpringBreak?

Comment

Originally posted by Tools View Post
                    Any update on this SpringBreak?
                    Just organising the documents now\! Apologies for the delay in my response!

Comment

Hello - I have e-mailed over a large amount of the info to admin@legal-beagles.info

Forgive my urgency - I just received a call from a bloke from 'Homelo@n-Expr3ss Ltd' - again I am changing lettering there - I'm sure you can imagine what I mean - please see

http://www[dot]homeloan-express[dot]co[dot]uk/index.php

I began to become suspicious as he initially purported to be someone who was working to help my Uncle but seemed to know very little about what was going on - seemed very keen to gleam information from me i.e. had my uncle ever been married, what my name was, without giving any clear indication of what he was able to do to help (he said he wanted to pass a message through me to my Dad about how he 'could definitely help' but I continued to question him and he was so vague it just increased my suspicion

I am convinced the person I spoke to on the phone is a scammer - as the conversation went on he revealed he had only been in contact with my uncle by phone and was saying all sorts of things like I looked on the website (he introduced himself as named on the website) and checked on the FCA listing - it's immediately suspicious then because they are listed twice both as 'no longer authorised' and as having an appointed representative (suspended)

Finally I tested him and mentioned (outright lying) that we had been contacted by the press (this was put forward to me as a proposal but I just had to see his reactions) his reaction confirmed my suspicion - he said how that wouldn't be a good idea because he wouldn't want people 'pointing and laughing at him in the street saying here's the bloke who lost £10,000'

What do I do? He said some very vague remarks with a sinister undertone about how my uncle had no-one to leave any money to, which didn't line up with his questions about whether my uncle had ever been married.

What do I do??
                      Last edited by SpringBreak; 29th May 2014, 18:32:PM. Reason: In a bit of a flap as I think I've been had myself!

Comment

Just seen this, I will take a look at the emails and get back to you. In the meantime do not respond to them, your suspicions are probably correct. Will get back to you asap but may be tomorrow.

Comment

Cannot see the emails as you have sent them to legal-beagles . resend them to admin@legalbeagles.info or julian.siddle@legalbeagles.info please.

Comment

Originally posted by Tools View Post
                            Cannot see the emails as you have sent them to legal-beagles . resend them to admin@legalbeagles.info or julian.siddle@legalbeagles.info please.

Hello -

Sorry I did send to the correct address - in my haste I put a dash in my above post. I had to send two e-mails using WinRAR as I was limited to file size - I forgot to mention I sent them on the 26/05

Thank you
                            Rob
                            Last edited by SpringBreak; 29th May 2014, 21:29:PM.

Comment

Hi Rob, yes found them apologies I was looking at today's emails.

The telephone call you received, did they say exactly why they were trying to contact your Uncle? It sounds a phishing exercise and if you agree I would report it ASAP to the FCA who are also looking at the fraud case as it may also be connected, If other victims of the scan have received similar telephone calls then the FCA need to be aware.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                              Working...
                              X