• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

DVLA saying I didn't return a logbook

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DVLA saying I didn't return a logbook

Hi guys

tomorrow I am going to my local court to complete a Statutory Declaration. This is because I appear to have been issued a fine for not returning the logbook (V5C) for an old vehicle, when I know I did. Somehow I actually had 2 logbooks for the vehicle, both from DVLA :tinysmile_aha_t: My address changed 9months ago so didn't get anything until this letter. Sold the car pretty much a year ago this month via eBay.
    I've spoken to DVLA, issuing court and local court but I'm just wondering what tomorrow will entail and if it's worth writing to DVLA to challenge them directly about it, or if it'll all be dealt with in court? It's a £310 fine in the letter from the courts.

cheers in advance
    Tags: None

Re: DVLA saying I didn't return a logbook

Send them the SD and see what they say, but don't be suprised if it is to no avail - the DVLA is notorious for its greed and incompetence. If you have proof that you returned the V5, I would be tempted to then let it run and trash them in court.

Comment

No proof sadly. It was a year ago I sold the car.

Comment

You coul;d swear a Stat Dec that you posted it on x date, and that the Interpretations Act deems it delivered after 3 days buy post.

It might be worth posting on Pepipoo also.

Comment

Done the Stat Dec this morning at the court.

I'd like to sort this out before it goes back to court. Does anyone have any suggestions of what I could send to the DVLA to nip the case in the bud before it goes back to court?

Comment

Would think the Stat Dec is the evidence if it stops there action well?

Comment

The Stat Dec sets aside (cancels) the conviction. However, it does not prevent DVLA having another try. One thing DVLA often do is to try and obtain details of an alleged offenders' defence to DVLA's fatuous allegations. Strictly speaking, DVLA are in breach of the law in doing this. When told they cannot have details of an alleged offender's defence, they will drop the case a few days before a court hearing or, if they are brave enough to go to court, will drop the case outside the courtroom or not turn up at all, resulting in the case being dismissed and the taxpayer being landed with a Costs Order.
              Life is a journey on which we all travel, sometimes together, but never alone.

Comment

Just had a thought as I'm in the process of buying a car on finance- will I have a CCJ? My finance rating wasn't great a year ago but I now have a credit card while I couldn't get one then so things must have improved, yet the interest rate went up from an already high rate. Nothing on noddle showing up but doesn't mean it's not there on the others. Court have confirmed it's quashed today in writing.

Comment

There are times when I genuinely feel sorry for court staff who have to sort out the unlawful and potentially illegal behaviour of DVLA and their dodgy cases. I am glad you have had your dodgy case quashed.

Comment

Originally posted by j4mes View Post
                    Just had a thought as I'm in the process of buying a car on finance- will I have a CCJ? My finance rating wasn't great a year ago but I now have a credit card while I couldn't get one then so things must have improved, yet the interest rate went up from an already high rate. Nothing on noddle showing up but doesn't mean it's not there on the others. Court have confirmed it's quashed today in writing.
                    No CCJ, this would have been criminal - Magistrates Court - as opposed to civil - County Court.

Comment

Well I've had a letter from the DVLA through this morning starting the whole process again. £35 if paid by 16th May, £55 if paid by 23rs May, or court action again. Advice?

Comment

Write back and tell the onanists at the DVLA who sent you the most recent letter that you will -

a. be defending any case they attempt to bring;
                        b. not be providing them with any details of your defence; and
                        c. be seeking costs against them.

You should also remind them that the onus of proof is on them, not you, and you require them to provide evidence to substantiate their allegations as they have failed to do so. Another thing you might wish to point out to them that, as a public authority, the DVLA is subject to the Human Rights Act 1998 and that you will enforce your rights under the Articles and Protocols of the Act.

Don't forget to remind them that DVLA has admitted, in Freedom of Information Act disclosures, to mislaying and losing correspondence at DVLA in Swansea. It will probably piss them off, but that's the whole idea.

Comment

Tell the cretinous nomarks that as you posted it it would be deemed as delivered 3 days later by First class post, and that there is NO legal compulsion to contact DVLA as to whether it arrived, or was lost in their system, regurgitated, converted to peat and used to fuel the heating furnace. DVLA is akin to the Vogons in it's methods.

Comment

Have a look at the Interpretation act 1978

7 References to service by post.

Where an Act authorises or requires any document to be served by post (whether the expression “serve” or the expression “give” or “send” or any other expression is used) then, unless the contrary intention appears, the service is deemed to be effected by properly addressing, pre-paying and posting a letter containing the document and, unless the contrary is proved, to have been effected at the time at which the letter would be delivered in the ordinary course of post.

Hope that helps.

Comment

I was on the DVLA site yesterday to tax my car, to my dismay the website states that it was last updated on 17/12/2013.

There is no hope for hte peeps in Swansey
                              The Black rat (Rattus rattus) is a common (hence the accusation of being Pleb) long-tailed rodent of the genus Rattus (rats) in the subfamily Murinae (murine rodents). The species originated in tropical Asia and spread through the Near East in Roman times (another thing that we ought to thanks the Romans for, besides roads, aqueducts and public toilets) before reaching Europe by the 1st century and spreading with Europeans across the world.

A mutation of the beast now comes black leather clad, riding a motorcycle that looks like a battenbergh cake on wheels.

A skilled predator, totally ruthless with it's prey, but also known to be extremely generous in doling out tickes that can provide points for motorists who want to downsize from mechanically propelled vehicles to bycicles.

It's a dirty job, but someone got to do it!

My opinions are free to anyone who wishes to make them theirs, but please be advised that my opinions might change without warning once more true facts are ascertained

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                              Working...
                              X