• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Urgent Please Advise HSBC or Marlin merged O/Draft + Loan in Court Claim

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Urgent Please Advise HSBC or Marlin merged O/Draft + Loan in Court Claim

Hi and thanks for all help and advice from the forum.
    My first post !
    HSBC or DCA Marlins have issued Court Claim for a Current Account 'Overdraft' when the amount is almost tenfold the original OD debt. This must include a loan or C Card with HSBC.
    So far I have Acknowledged the claim online and am in the process of asking for CCA from Marlins and CPR 31.16 from Solicitors.
    Please advise me as this is my first time in dealing with a claim. Any details you need please ask as I don't want to make a mistake at any stage. Hence apologies for going over 'old ground'.
    Currently following and using this thread
    http://www.legalbeagles.info/forums/...ic-information

Thanks again for any help.
    Last edited by won'tgiveup; 23rd April 2014, 22:48:PM. Reason: Urgent Help Required
    Tags: None

Re: Urgent Please Advise HSBC or Marlin merged O/Draft + Loan in Court Claim

Hello

Any advise or assistance would be appreciated.

Thanks

Comment

Hi and welcome to LB
      Originally posted by won'tgiveup View Post
      Hi and thanks for all help and advice from the forum.
      My first post !
      HSBC or DCA Marlins have issued Court Claim for a Current Account 'Overdraft' when the amount is almost tenfold the original OD debt. This must include a loan or C Card with HSBC.
      So far I have Acknowledged the claim online and am in the process of asking for CCA from Marlins and CPR 31.16 from Solicitors.
      Please advise me as this is my first time in dealing with a claim. Any details you need please ask
      as I don't want to make a mistake at any stage. Hence apologies for going over 'old ground'.
      Currently following and using this thread
      http://www.legalbeagles.info/forums/...ic-information

Thanks again for any help.
      If it's an overdraft the CCA request wouldn't apply, however, it would to a loan or credit card. A few questions:
      • Did you have a loan and a credit card with HSBC as well as a current account?
      • If so, when did you last make a payment?
      • Could you post up the particulars of claim? :typing:
      • Who are the solicitors? Restons? Mortimer Clarke? Those are the ones Marlin normally use.
      • Have you sent the CPR 31.14 request letter which is referred to on that thread?
      • How much is the amount claimed?

Comment

Hi

Yes had a credit card and loan with same lender. The overdraft was £1000 and they have issued a claim stating 'Overdraft' for over £8000.
        Mortimer Clarke are acting solicitors.
        Due to post CPR 31.14 tomorrow as needed it to go Recorded Delivery and was working today.
        Experian report shows HSBC O/D default March 2010 for just over £1000
        Also shows Marlin bought and defaulted the amount in March 2010 as a package as amount is nearly £6000
        The C Claim states 'Monies due under current account overdraft'
        This is untrue, we have a copy of the HSBC default letter showing the original current account number and the overdraft at just over £1000
        Thanks so much for you assistance

Comment

Hi

Yes had a credit card and loan with same lender. The overdraft was £1000 and they have issued a claim stating 'Overdraft' for over £8000.
          Mortimer Clarke are acting solicitors.
          Due to post CPR 31.14 tomorrow as needed it to go Recorded Delivery and was working today.
          Experian report shows HSBC O/D default March 2010 for just over £1000
          Also shows Marlin bought and defaulted the amount in March 2010 as a package as amount is nearly £6000
          The C Claim states 'Monies due under current account overdraft'
          This is untrue, we have a copy of the HSBC default letter showing the original current account number and the overdraft at just over £1000

Thanks so much for you assistance
          Have you got notice(s) of assignment to Marlin for these debts?

Have you got any paperwork showing you had a card and/or loan?

Comment

Hi

Yes have some paperwork for the C Card and loan
            Not sure if letter of assignment was received.
            Can they really combine debt like this and call it O Draft ?
            They certainly won't be able to find any documents showing an OD at that level.
            Attached Files

Comment

The claim is just for the overdraft according to their poc, they can't just add a loan into the claim amount without stating it, therefore if you were to defend the claim or making an offer you'd be getting your evidence together showing the debt was only £1000 odd... so how the debt is made up, a sar to HSBC would be a plan there as well,

If they intend to claim a loan debt from you then they would need to do a separate claim or amend this one to state both causes of action clearly.
              Last edited by Amethyst; 12th May 2014, 22:00:PM.
              #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps

Comment

Will do so and post update.
                Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by Amethyst View Post
                  The claim is just for the overdraft according to their pock, they can't just add a loan into the claim amount without stating it, therefore if you were to defend the claim or making an offer you'd be getting your evidence together showing the debt was only £1000 odd... so how the debt is made up, a sar to HSBC would be a plan there as well,

If they intend to claim a loan debt from you then they would need to do a separate claim or amend this one to state both causes of action clearly.
                  I should think a part 18 request would be in order, to ask them to explain how they arrived at the amount claimed since they are claiming it's just an O/D. They have 40 days to respond to a SAR. :ohwell:

Comment

Hi

Is there a specific template for this request ?
                    I have tried searching the site and it shows the CPR 31.16, is the part 18 much different in the wording or layout ?
                    If it turns out that they cannot prove that in fact the whole amount is O/Draft can they still continue the claim ?
                    Or does it just revert to the £1000 true O/Draft amount and if so can we then make an offer against that amount ?
                    Or will they have to go away and come back with another claim for the correct amounts against the individual debts ?
                    Thanks

Comment

Hi

Is there a specific template for this request ?
                      I have tried searching the site and it shows the CPR 31.16, is the part 18 much different
                      in the wording or layout ?
                      Apologies for not having replied earlier.

The relevant part is here: http://www.justice.gov.uk/courts/pro...rt18/pd_part18
                      A part 18 request is a letter in the format below. The questions are just examples, you'll need to fill in your details. Basically we're trying to find out what they are claiming for, in addition to requesting documents under CPR 31.14 which I assume you've done.

IN THE XXX county court

CLAIM NO:
                      BETWEEN:
                      XXXXXXXXXX
                      Claimant
                      and
                      XXXXXXXXXX
                      Defendant
                      PART 18 REQUEST FOR FURTHER INFORMATION

To: XXXXXXXXXX (claimant)

Please answer the following questions:

1. What is the HSBC account number shown as the defendant's account number?
                      2. Please provide copies of the terms and conditions for the account in question.
                      3. Please provide full details, including documents such as statements, of how the claimant arrived at a figure of £xxxx.xx

TAKE NOTICE THAT YOU ARE REQUIRED TO ANSWER THE ABOVE REQUEST WITHIN 14 DAYS OF SERVICE OF THE SAME UPON YOU.

Comment

Hello
                        Solicitors have replied stating that they 'have received a request for documentation confirming the outstanding balance and they are taking their client's instructions in relation to the request and will come back to me as soon as they can' !

Their 14 day deadline for the Part 18 request is Sunday 11th May.
                        The 28 day deadline for my defence is Thursday 15th May (+5 days for service of claim).
                        Can a claim be changed to show OD, Loan or CC as separate items on one claim ?
                        Can they still add the interest to the claimed amount that they have done so when it is not all OD?
                        Any advice on my next move would be appreciated.
                        Thanks.

Comment

Hello, Anyone ?

Comment

As far as you and their claim is concerned the claim is for the overdraft. If you receive nothing from their CPR request then you can apply to the court to force them to allow you to inspect the documents they rely on, so in response to their ether ask them to agree an extension to the date for filing defence under CPR 15.5 - if they get to the end of that or don't agree then you apply to court. Alternatively you could defend the claim, if you wanted to, by admitting the amount of the claim you know you owe on overdraft and make an offer to pay, and deny the rest, then they'd have to prove the rest is owed...I'd prefer the application route personally.
                            #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Comment

Hello
                              Solicitors have replied stating that they 'have received a request for documentation confirming the outstanding balance and they are taking their client's instructions in relation to the request and will come back to me as soon as they can' !

Their 14 day deadline for the Part 18 request is Sunday 11th May.
                              The 28 day deadline for my defence is Thursday 15th May (+5 days for service of claim).
                              Can a claim be changed to show OD, Loan or CC as separate items on one claim ?
                              Can they still add the interest to the claimed amount that they have done so when it is not all OD?
                              Any advice on my next move would be appreciated.
                              Thanks.
                              Well didn't really answer your questions did I.

Ye they can change the claim nut they would have to apply to the court to amend their statement of case to say it was OD of £xxxx, loan of £xxxx and co.card of £xxxx.

Interest wise? Section 69 at 8% ?
                              #staysafestayhome

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Support LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
                              See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
                              X