• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Default added to credit file 3years later?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Default added to credit file 3years later?

Evening guys n gals

hopefully I'm posting this in the correct area. Basically I have had a default added to my credit file in September 2013. The default information states it was defaulted in January 2010 and it is listed by a company called mkdp llp. I am 100% sure this debt was defaulted by the original creditor, AA Financial Services on the default date but was never added to my credit record. I stopped paying them for the loan and did receive a notice of default but cannot find it. As I am only around 18months from the 6year limit, I don't want to rock the boat too much unless it will be constructive but should this one from mkdp llp be there?
    Last edited by Amethyst; 23rd April 2014, 18:50:PM. Reason: removed image as personal details
    Tags: None

Re: Default added to credit file 3years later?

Firstly I would edit your photo and remove all personal details.

As you probably know a default will stay on file for six years from date of entry so that will be 2019

EDIT: 6 years from original default which is indeed 2016 - Sorry

Comment

Hi

thanks for the response. So I can get this right, a DCA can add the default 3years after the original default date? Is it not limited to how long they have to add it?

Comment

You say you have received a default notice but cannot find it, was this notice from the DCA or the original creditor?

For the DCA to report a default they need to send notice and they can then add defaults only after 28 days have expired.
        So if the DCA have only recently purchased the debt then yes they can report defaults even after three years.

Comment

It was from the AA themselves not a dca

Comment

Originally posted by j4mes View Post
            thanks for the response. So I can get this right, a DCA can add the default 3years after the original default date? Is it not limited to how long they have to add it?
            They can record the default at any time, for example, whey the bought the account, what matters is that the actual default date should be the original one, i.e. when you first defaulted on the account, not when they bought it, or got around to updating their records on your credit file.

This is what the ICO Guidance says:

53 If the purchaser agrees to take control of the record, the customer should be informed that the debt has been sold or assigned and to whom. The credit reference agency file should be changed to show the name of the purchaser and that the rights to the debt have been sold or assigned. The purchaser should then make sure the record is kept up to date including changes to the amount still owed. The purchase should not affect how long the record is kept. It should be removed six years after the default.
            As you wisely pointed out, you don't want to be awakening sleeping dogs, so I'd wait till the time when the default is meant to drop off - presumably by then the debt would also be statute barred, unless you've made payments after default.

Originally posted by Bankers Reform View Post
            You say you have received a default notice but cannot find it, was this notice from the DCA or the original creditor?

For the DCA to report a default they need to send notice and they can then add defaults only after 28 days have expired.
            So if the DCA have only recently purchased the debt then yes they can report defaults even after three years.
            A DCA wouldn't be issuing default notices since they would only have had the debt assigned after it had been defaulted. It is the original lender (bank, credit card, finance company, etc.) to issue the DN, not a DCA.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
            Working...
            X