• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.
  • If you need direct help with your employment issue you can contact us at admin@legalbeaglesgroup.com for further assistance. This will give you access to “off-forum” support on a one-to- one basis from an experienced employment law expert for which we would welcome that you make a donation to help towards their time spent assisting on your matter. You can do this by clicking on the donate button in the box below.

CCTV Employee Rights

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CCTV Employee Rights

Hi everyone and thanks for taking the time to read this. Apologies if I have not posted in the correct area.
    I would like some information regarding CCTV in the work place. I am a manager so would like to have the information at hand to answer any questions my staff have.
    The company recently installed seven cameras monitoring from 7am to 8pm (working hours). I fully understand this was necessary as the previous manager was sacked for stealing.
    Of course there was the normal grumbles from everyone about their privacy and the directors "spying" on them. I assured them all that the cameras were there only as a security measure and as they were all good hard workers they had nothing to worry about etc.
    Within the last few weeks however the directors have called after watching the cameras remotely and mentioned a few things we were or were not doing. Only simple things like an area of the store needing tidied or questioning why the phone was not answered when there was staff free to do so.
    I kind of accepted this but have noticed the staff becoming more demotivated by these calls.
    Today though I recieved quite a tense call from one of the directors saying there were no staff in the showroom and some customers had come in, walked around and left, resulting in a lost sale opportunity. This confused me as I had made sure there was one of the sales staff in the showroom while myself and others were tidying the store. When I looked back at the CCTV footage I could see how the director made this mistake. The sales guy was tidying a section of the shop not covered by the cameras. I even heard him asking them if they needed any help and they said no they were just passing and called in for a browse. When I pointed this out the director had another look at the footage, apologised and ended the call.
    Now my question is not the legalities here or if my employers are breaching any acts. All I would like to know is where do I go from here as I feel my position as a manager is being questioned.
    Thanks again for your time.
    Tags: None

Re: CCTV Employee Rights

If he apologised and accepted he got it wrong, why do you feel that you're position as a manager is being questioned? Do you feel the cameras are a suggestion that they think you're not doing your job?
    Nothing I say should be taken as qualified expert advice. I am not an expert in anything.

If you decide to act on anything I have posted you agree not to hold me liable in any way.

If you are unsure then you need to take proper advice from someone who is an expert.

Comment

I would be inclined to inform the Director of the negative impact it is having on morale. Suggest to them that you fully appreciate the need for CCTV as a security measure but that you do not feel it is constructive and possibly misrepresents the actual situation on the shop floor.

I have a saying that I always use to do with orders filtering their way down from the top to the workers and how, as a Manager, you should explain to your staff why you are having to have these conversations with them and where the comments are coming from, to put it simply but quite crudely

"shi7 rolls downhill"

Your staff should appreciate that the comments are coming from above and that you are having to pass them on as it is your role as Manager.
      Any opinions I give are my own. Any advice I give is without liability. If you are unsure, please seek qualified legal advice.

IF WE HAVE HELPED YOU PLEASE CONSIDER UPGRADING TO VIP - click here

Comment

Might be worth checking if the system has been registered with the ICO and what is/isn't the purpose of the system. The system I have access to is registered for crime prevention use only and any other use is not allowed (would be useful though!). May be worth finding out the details of the registration and pointing out to the directors that they could be in trouble if it is used for other purposes than those declared.

Comment

There is a guide for use of CCTV in the workplace available from the ICO. It can be downloaded as a PDF file from the ICO's website. The directors might do well to study this or, alternatively, speak to the ICO, as this will help to avoid the situation they appear to have created continuing or being repeated.
          Life is a journey on which we all travel, sometimes together, but never alone.

Comment

As Tools suggests, they way to get your message across is to use language that the Directors understand - money. Demotivated staff are less productive.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
            See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
            X