• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.
  • If you need direct help with your employment issue you can contact us at admin@legalbeaglesgroup.com for further assistance. This will give you access to “off-forum” support on a one-to- one basis from an experienced employment law expert for which we would welcome that you make a donation to help towards their time spent assisting on your matter. You can do this by clicking on the donate button in the box below.

Made to sign a background check agreement

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Made to sign a background check agreement

I work for a call centre and have done so for a year and a half. We were all taken into a room today where we get briefed and at the end of the brief it was thrown in that we need to have a credit check done on us. As soon as we exited the room we were handed agreements to sign then badgered until we signed them. It was for my call centre to give them to the company we call on behalf of.

When asked why they were wanting it the HR and my manager didn't have a clue why but said we have to sign it. They also said there's absolute no chance anyone will get sacked - so why ask for it?
    I know it can be standard for works to do credit checks but why many years into employment (like for some people)?
    A few days ago we were told hours will be cut next month and people will go then all of a sudden they do credit checks, isn't this them fishing for excuses to sack us now despite what they say?

e: The quality checking people (who do occasionally dial) were not asked to do the credit check either so I'm even more confused as to the purpose of the credit check
    Last edited by Mr Right; 17th April 2014, 15:41:PM.
    Tags: None

Re: Made to sign a background check agreement

What nature of business do your call centre deal with and what nature of business do their "client" deal with?

Recently there have been changes to the way companies are required to deal with potential blackmail/corruption, credit checks are just one procedure in place to comply with regulations and best practices.
    Any opinions I give are my own. Any advice I give is without liability. If you are unsure, please seek qualified legal advice.

IF WE HAVE HELPED YOU PLEASE CONSIDER UPGRADING TO VIP - click here

Comment

Originally posted by Mr Right View Post
      A few days ago we were told hours will be cut next month and people will go then all of a sudden they do credit checks, isn't this them fishing for excuses to sack us now despite what they say?
      The timing is certainly suspicious.

Comment

I tend to agree with Enquirer's analysis on this one. The timing is very suspicious.
        Life is a journey on which we all travel, sometimes together, but never alone.

Comment

Is it all legal given the overall scenario?

Comment

Originally posted by Mr Right View Post
            Is it all legal given the overall scenario?
            It depends on what the reasoning is behind them requiring you to provide such information. Just because an employer may say they can do it does not, in itself, mean that the law says they can do it.

Comment

It rather depends on the nature of business carried out and who the client is.
              Any opinions I give are my own. Any advice I give is without liability. If you are unsure, please seek qualified legal advice.

IF WE HAVE HELPED YOU PLEASE CONSIDER UPGRADING TO VIP - click here

Comment

Originally posted by bluebottle View Post
                It depends on what the reasoning is behind them requiring you to provide such information. Just because an employer may say they can do it does not, in itself, mean that the law says they can do it.
                They didn't give us a reason other than "the client says you have to".

Originally posted by Tools View Post
                It rather depends on the nature of business carried out and who the client is.
                It's outbound sales of existing products (no card details taken) for a global credit card company. There IS an inbound line we can be in (not everyone is) where we do take card details but they didn't ask everyone who does the inbound line (as in, they didn't ask the two people who do quality checks on the calls despite them dealing with most of the inbound calls).

Comment

If it falls within the sphere of Financial Services, then, yes, a credit check would, almost certainly, be mandatory, especially if an employee has direct contact with a prospective customer.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
                  See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
                  X