• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

End of the Tax Disc

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• End of the Tax Disc

http://www.admiral.com/news-articles...-certificates/

This is old news I suppose, but there may be those who didn't know I certainly didn't until I re taxed my car today

End of an era. I remember back in the late seventies, I ran my old banger on a Newcastle brown beer label for about six months.
    Tags: None

Re: End of the Tax Disc

No-one in their right mind would give a government agency a Direct Debit.

This will take electronic snooping and enforcement to a new level. How is this to be checked? What happens in the interim period, when some cars will still have paper discs and others not? I foresee no end of wrongful prosecutions.

It will be more important than ever to ensure that you obtain and keep documentary proof that you paid.

Comment

And even more scams?
      How would you check that a car had a valid tax?
      Most of my bills I pay by bank transfer as I know when there is enough money to do this would you still have that choice?
      Last edited by dogtired; 17th April 2014, 12:44:PM.
      Never give up, Never surrender.

Comment

Apparently it is all on a central database and can be accessed through the index number of the vehicle, has been for some time.

Yes big brother is alive and well. How long I wonder before they routinely include a GPS tracker in the maize of electronics under the modern dash board, then they will be able to track where we go where we shop, how fast we are going. Perhaps they already do?

Comment

From what I understand you can still pay the tax at he post office if necessary and you will receive a receipt from them .

Comment

Originally posted by seduraed View Post
            From what I understand you can still pay the tax at he post office if necessary and you will receive a receipt from them .
            Yes you just will not get a paper disc, they give you a website address where you can log on and see your tax details, and if you are upto date.

Comment

But Mr DT won't use a computer !

Comment

.......and the tax will not be transferable when you buy/sell car.
                You will need to buy one before driving the new car home, and the seller will only get a refund for complete months unexpired tax. Even more revenue for DVLA.
                Options: drive vehicles first registered 1974 or earlier.
                We don't pay VED either of our cars, or have to worry about MOT on the 1951 AC

Comment

Where will it leave the likes of " We buy any car" They say a price but part of that is any unused tax.
                  Can see more unregistered untaxed, uninsured cars around, particulary in rural areas.
                  :tinysmile_aha_t:

Comment

of course they do with your smartphone

Comment

I suppose it makes life just that little bit easier for those loath to bother with such fripperies, along with insurance, driving licences, MOTs and legal ownership of the vehicles they drive.

Comment

When I tried to sorn my car the system didn't recognise it... I had previously sorned it successfully. Does this mean I can drive it without tax, as it clearly doesn't exist...!
                        I am not a solicitor. Please seek your own legal advice before relying on my comments in this forum!

Comment

Blonde question, my tax runs out soon, will I get another paper disc or not? x

Comment

Hi, I did get a notice for a moped so rang them to renew a SORN, I was told that new ones are now not issued the SORN
                            will run until such time you wish to put it on the road.
                            [

QUOTE=Animal;431280]When I tried to sorn my car the system didn't recognise it... I had previously sorned it successfully. Does this mean I can drive it without tax, as it clearly doesn't exist...! [/QUOTE]

Comment

Originally posted by Shirley Temple View Post
                              Blonde question, my tax runs out soon, will I get another paper disc or not? x
                              The scheme does not come into effect until 1st October 2014 so if your Tax Disc rums out before then you will still get the paper version.
                              Any opinions I give are my own. Any advice I give is without liability. If you are unsure, please seek qualified legal advice.

IF WE HAVE HELPED YOU PLEASE CONSIDER UPGRADING TO VIP - click here

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                              Working...
                              X