• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Multiple bus lane fines over nine months only sent out now

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Multiple bus lane fines over nine months only sent out now

Hi all, I had a bit of a shock today. I have been commuting daily on a motorbike since July 2013 from Clapham to Canary Wharf, of which Wandsworth road is one long stretch. Along this stretch there are about 6 to 7 bus lane stretches, most of which allow motorcycles as specified by sign and a few that do not. As a motorcyclist I am used to bus lanes generally being allowed to drive in, though I am aware some do not allow this and I watch out for this.

However I have this morning received SEVENTEEN notices of enforcement from Wandsworth Council dating back almost a year, none recent. The earliest being for July 2013 and the last being 18th November 2013. Nothing since then. So the most recent one is five months old and the oldest one is nine months old. They are all collectively from three different cameras on dates I obviously got confused and mixed up with which lanes were allowed for motorcycles and which weren't. When you're commuting daily along the same route and get into a routine, it's very easy to make a mistake like this occasionally.

Why it has taken so long to process and send these out is beyond me and I feel this is totally unreasonable to take so long to send out the notices, allowing them to accumulate before making me aware of my mistake. I now have 17 notices, at £130 each which means they are charging me over £2200.

I don't feel like this is at all fair and want to know if anyone has any advice on how to challenge this or any precedent cases that have been done in the past?

Re: Multiple bus lane fines over nine months only sent out now

Maybe Im wrong, but I always thought that they had a maximum of 14 or 28 days in which to issue fines

Comment

Yes 28 days, unless the DVLA cannot provide valid data ie your m/c is not registered to your current address

Comment

Do you have a link to an official notice or road traffic act that specifies 28 days as the maximum limit that I can quote in the challenge?

Comment

Penalty charge notices8. (1) Where an approved local authority have reason to believe that a penalty charge is payable under Part 2 with respect to a vehicle, they may, in accordance with paragraphs (2) and (5) below, serve a notice (“penalty charge notice”) on the person appearing to them to be the owner of the vehicle or on the person appearing to them to be the person liable to pay the charge.
          (2) Subject to paragraph (3), a penalty charge notice shall be served before the end of the period of 28 days beginning with the detection date.
          (3) Where—
          (a)within 14 days of the detection date an approved local authority have made a request to the Secretary of State for the supply of relevant particulars; and
          (b)those particulars have not been supplied before the date after which the authority would not be entitled to serve a penalty charge notice by virtue of paragraph (2),
          the authority shall continue to be entitled to serve a penalty charge notice for a further period of six months beginning with the date mentioned in sub-paragraph (b).

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2...57/part/3/made

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
          Working...
          X