• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Cabot Chasing for Someone Else's Dept!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cabot Chasing for Someone Else's Dept!

Hi all, I hope someone can lend some advise on my current situation.

For around 6 months now, I have been persistently chased by a company called Cabot Financial for a dept that doesn't belong to me. A mistake seems to have been made and whoever truly owes them has the same name as me but a different DOB. The original dept was with Vanquis and is for £880.

I firstly sent them a 'Prove it letter' advising that this was not my debt. They sent a letter back advising that they were looking in to it and put the account on hold. I received nothing from Cabot but instead started receiving letters from a company called FIRE on Cabot's behalf, demanding payment. I sent another letter to FIRE, to which I have received another letter from Cabot accompanied by a letter from Vanquis advising that this debt was applied for online and that they are unable to forward a "hard copy" of the application! They have also sent a statement which is alien to me, but nothing else, just requesting I call them or they will hand the account back to their Customer Operations Dept after 21 days. They are only sending letters, so there is no way I'm going to give them a call.

If anyone can give some guidance on how I can move forward from this then it would be greatly appreciated. :tinysmile_grin_t:
    Tags: None

Re: Cabot Chasing for Someone Else's Dept!

Do you know what kind of debt they are claiming it is ie credit card or loan?

Comment

The letter sent from Vanquis states that this was for one of their cards.

Comment

When you say you sent a 'prove it' letter, was it a formal CCA request?

If not that's what you need to do - see here http://www.legalbeagles.info/forums/...y-of-Agreement

Comment

Originally posted by EXC View Post
          When you say you sent a 'prove it' letter, was it a formal CCA request?

If not that's what you need to do - see here http://www.legalbeagles.info/forums/...y-of-Agreement
          Thank you for that. Both examples of the letter in that link state 'my' credit agreement etc. Is this really a letter a should be sending considering this is not my dept?

Comment

I would amend where it says ''copy of my [or] our Consumer Credit Agreement'' to ''copy of the Credit Agreement''.

Although strictly speaking only the debtor can request their own credit agreement under CCA, both Cabot and FIRE haven't complied with your reasonable 'prove it request' so the worst (and best) that can happen is that they refuse on account that it's not your debt.

Comment

" Fire" is part of the same group as Cabot.
              Never give up, Never surrender.

Comment

Have they sent you a document which gives the other persons date of birth?

If so, then you have immediate proof that they have the wrong person. Write to them, reminding them of their responsibilities under the Data Protection Act 1998. Their database is incorrect, and they are sending you confidential correspondence intended for another.

They must correct their database and cease sending you letters. If they continue, now that they are aware of their error, they will be committing an offence.

Do not give your date of birth or send them a copy of your birth certificate.

Comment

It sounds like Crackpot are using scatter-gunning, a tactic that breaches Debt Collection Guidelines. You might wish to mention this to the Financial Conduct Authority (FCA) whom I am sure will be happy to hear from you. Though I doubt very much Crackpot will be too happy to hear from the FCA.
                  Life is a journey on which we all travel, sometimes together, but never alone.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Support LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
                  See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
                  X