• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Council Tax Problem under New Regualtions

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Council Tax Problem under New Regualtions

hi
    i am new to the site and i wondered if you could help me long story short my fridge freezer broke and i had to buy a new one which left me short this was november, i missed council tax payments in nov and dec and the council got a libility order in jan 2014. i phone the council around the end of feb to try and see if i could make payments to the account they said it had been passed to the bailiffs and that they would be intouch date passed to them was 25/02/2014. i have heard nothing at all ref this account until yesterday when i recieved a notice of enforcement with the new 75.00 compliance stage fee.
    i have till 18/04/2014 to contact them ( which is not a clear 7 days ) and also i feel they have kept hold of this account till the new fees came into force i owe the money that is not disputed but i feel they way they hav gone around leaving it this long is not fair any advice would be grateful thankyou
    Tags: None

Re: Council Tax Problem under New Regualtions

The 7 clear days rule is from the date on the letter sent by the enforcer, which probably is the 7th of April.

Once an enforcement agency receives instructions to recover debts they do not have to send notices straight away, because depending on their work load they may not be able to deal with it forthwith.

However 40 days seems a bit too long.
    The Black rat (Rattus rattus) is a common (hence the accusation of being Pleb) long-tailed rodent of the genus Rattus (rats) in the subfamily Murinae (murine rodents). The species originated in tropical Asia and spread through the Near East in Roman times (another thing that we ought to thanks the Romans for, besides roads, aqueducts and public toilets) before reaching Europe by the 1st century and spreading with Europeans across the world.

A mutation of the beast now comes black leather clad, riding a motorcycle that looks like a battenbergh cake on wheels.

A skilled predator, totally ruthless with it's prey, but also known to be extremely generous in doling out tickes that can provide points for motorists who want to downsize from mechanically propelled vehicles to bycicles.

It's a dirty job, but someone got to do it!

My opinions are free to anyone who wishes to make them theirs, but please be advised that my opinions might change without warning once more true facts are ascertained

Comment

I'm not going to debate the rights & wrongs of how long this has taken as that is for you to make a complaint to the Council about it. What is of importance is getting in touch & making an arrangement to pay, if you don't do this then you are at risk of the next stage which will add another £235 to the bill.

You should contact the Bailiffs in the first instance and see if they will accept a payment proposal which is both suitable & affordable. If they come back with some way out wacky scheme of their own then that is the time to go back to the Council telling them you cannot meet the Bailiff's demands and ask they instruct the Bailiff to accept your more affordable plan.

The Bailiff cannot insist he comes round to make a levy on goods and no more can they charge extraneous fees for doing so.

Comment

Originally posted by Sir Vere Brayne d'Emmidge View Post
        The 7 clear days rule is from the date on the letter sent by the enforcer, which probably is the 7th of April.

Once an enforcement agency receives instructions to recover debts they do not have to send notices straight away, because depending on their work load they may not be able to deal with it forthwith.

However 40 days seems a bit too long.
        hi
        letter is dated 9/04/2014 and recieved on sat 12/4/2014 i have to respond by 18/4/2014 which is good friday so i dont think they will be open so i have till 17/04/2014

Comment

Call them today!
          The Black rat (Rattus rattus) is a common (hence the accusation of being Pleb) long-tailed rodent of the genus Rattus (rats) in the subfamily Murinae (murine rodents). The species originated in tropical Asia and spread through the Near East in Roman times (another thing that we ought to thanks the Romans for, besides roads, aqueducts and public toilets) before reaching Europe by the 1st century and spreading with Europeans across the world.

A mutation of the beast now comes black leather clad, riding a motorcycle that looks like a battenbergh cake on wheels.

A skilled predator, totally ruthless with it's prey, but also known to be extremely generous in doling out tickes that can provide points for motorists who want to downsize from mechanically propelled vehicles to bycicles.

It's a dirty job, but someone got to do it!

My opinions are free to anyone who wishes to make them theirs, but please be advised that my opinions might change without warning once more true facts are ascertained

Comment

Originally posted by Sir Vere Brayne d'Emmidge View Post
            Call them today!
            will do thanks

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
            Working...
            X