• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Claimant does not want to attend Court?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Claimant does not want to attend Court?

I have a claim against me and the solicitors for the claimant have asked me to agree with his witness statement so that he does not have to appear in court. Can the claimant do this? There are many "what ifs" for example I have questions regarding accountancy issues (these have been mentioned in my witness statement) that have not been addressed. His solicitors have said that maybe other witnesses can deal with these questions. Getting very confused with our legal system when a claimant can just sit back in their office while I go through the trauma of appearing in court. Any help with question?
    Tags: None

Re: Claimant does not want to attend Court?

They are obviously worried that the claimant will crack under cross examination. Say No, and insist that they appear in court.

Comment

It could just be, if this is in small claims track, the claimant thinks the costs involved are higher than the claim merits and is happy for his solicitor to deal with the case.
      Of course, if claimant isn't there to be questioned, the defendant can request that on the basis of even handness the claimant's solicitor should not be allowed to question the defendant.

Comment

Originally posted by des8 View Post
        It could just be, if this is in small claims track, the claimant thinks the costs involved are higher than the claim merits and is happy for his solicitor to deal with the case.
        Of course, if claimant isn't there to be questioned, the defendant can request that on the basis of even handness the claimant's solicitor should not be allowed to question the defendant.
        Id say its nothing to do with you, it's up to them. Ultimately the judge will decide. Its almost certainly better for you if they dont turn up, but its not for you to agree.

QCK

Comment

But how do I ask relevant questions if they do not attend? I have raised certain issues in my witness statement so they are aware of my questions.

Comment

Originally posted by ivyhouse View Post
            But how do I ask relevant questions if they do not attend? I have raised certain issues in my witness statement so they are aware of my questions.
            You tell the judge at the hearing the questions you would put to the claimant in person under oath if they were in attendance. That can only work in your favour. You can be sure the judge would have questions she or he would want to ask.

QCK

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Support LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
            See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
            X