• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Divorce - Financial Dispute

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Divorce - Financial Dispute

Good Evening All,

First of all, let me start by saying that Divorce and Family Law are far from my areas of expertise. I'm asking on behalf of a friend who is currently going through the process - I am not acting for her, but have done my best to advise on procedures etc. She has instructed a solicitor, however they aren't impressing me with their efficiency or client care I have to say!

Her husband petitioned for divorce in October 2012, and the process is still dragging on. Anybody would think there was a lot to fight over...but sadly that is not the case. As this rate, neither party will be left with anything once all legal bills have been settled.

I'll give a rough SOA first of all, so that we can see how the land lies.

Married for 3 years, co-habiting for 8.
    No children from marriage - adult children on both sides + respondent has 1 dependant son age 16 and still in FTE.

Finances as at start of divorce process

Salary (her) - £20k
    Salary (him) - £30k

Property - valuations between £105k and £125k (Original valuation from 12 months ago was £125k, more recent 2 valuations at £105k and £110k) - A jointly instructed valuation came in at £115k

Mortgage - £92k outstanding (Mortgage in her sole name, property owned in her sole name - was owned previous to relationship).

Other Assets

Caravan - £3k owned in her sole name (now sold, at his solicitors request - money deposited with her solicitor)

Car - £8.5k owned in his sole name, £3.5k finance outstanding

His pensions - approx £30k in money purchase plans

Her pensions - approx £8k in money purchase plans

Savings - balance of £3k joint savings, were held in an account in his name at time of divorce petition - money since spent by him, evidenced by bank statements

Sharesave - £4k, in his sole name

Debts

His name - £5k, personal loan used to fund car upgrade

Her name - £22k across cards and loans, used to fund day to day living and purchases for benefit of both

The Situation

There was an initial proposal that he kept car and all interest in his pensions and sharesave, along with his own loan. She would keep equity in house, caravan and her own pension - along with her own debts.This was rejected, she attended for mediation but he did not. Litigation then commenced.

Considerable delays in the exchange of Form E, caused by the applicant only completing his the evening before the first hearing and not allowing respondent the opportunity to properly review in order to raise questions ahead of hearing. When the form E was finally received, it was an impressive work of fiction which bore little resemblance to his actual finances.

Interesting points which arose from the form E and supporting documents -

He has cashed in the Share Save plans, and disposed of the proceeds
    He appears to have sold the car and purchased a replacement
    Various new bank accounts appear to have been opened, although no statements provided

Naturally these formed part of the questionnaire submitted.

Outcome of the first hearing which took place in January 2014 was that the judge ordered a joint valuation and questionnaires on both sides. The valuation and questionnaires were to be completed within 2 weeks, with a final court hearing scheduled for 1 month after the first.

Respondent filed answers to questionnaire with her solicitor within the 2 weeks allowed, and these were forwarded to the applicants solicitors. To date (some 3 months after the hearing, and over 2 months after the court deadline) the applicants answers have still not been received! The applicant also failed to agree a joint letter of instruction for the valuation, so that the respondent had to make an application to the court for this to be ordered in the absence of his agreement. This valuation has now finally been carried out and came in at £115k, £10k less than the valuation on which the original settlement offer from the respondent was based.

The final hearing has been re-scheduled for 2 weeks time, and naturally the respondent is not at all happy with the persistent delays and failure to comply with court direction on the part of the applicant. His conduct has resulted in significantly increased legal costs for both parties throughout the process.

Just looking for some advice from those more experienced in such matters. The acting solicitor seems more concerned with how her bill is to be settled than offering any practical advice as to how to approach the situation, what sort of realistic split could be expected, whether costs can be applied for on the basis of his conduct and delays etc.

Worth mentioning, the applicant has accrued legal bills in the region of £3,000 all of which are unpaid at this point

The respondents total bill so far comes to approximately £2,000, of which £1200 has been settled.

Anyway, appreciate your thoughts.
    I am a Paralegal Consultant.

This means I am not a Solicitor/Barrister/Advocate. I work in Legal Services, however I cannot offer services which are defined as "Reserved Legal Activities" under the Legal Services Act 2007.

Anything posted here should be taken as opinion or general information, not legal advice. It is not possible for me to offer legal advice based on the limited details which can be posted on an open forum. Where possible, I will offer guidance and relevant information, but neither myself nor my practice can be held liable for events resulting from actions taken based on information or opinion shared here.
    Tags: None

Re: Divorce - Financial Dispute

Perhaps worth adding the solicitor's proposals.

The acting solicitor has stated that they wish to continue to work towards the original settlement offer, which was made based on the £125,000 valuation of the house (now confirmed as £10,000 lower than this).

They have said that they can not apply for any costs against the other side unless agreement is not reached at the upcoming final hearing, and have quoted a further fixed fee bill of £500 + vat to cover up to the final hearing.

I totally agree that the original offer made was not an unreasonable one, however that was made based on a substantially higher valuation of the property and on the basis of a quick and amicable settlement. Now that the process has become so lengthy and drawn out (as a result of the applicants conduct and inability to follow directions), the property valuation has been confirmed at £10,000 lower than originally believed, the applicant has failed to respond to any of the respondents questioned as ordered at the first hearing, the applicant has seemingly disposed of the family vehicle and has seemingly encashed his share save plans and disposed of the funds, and finally the applicant has failed to disclose material assets to the court (the share save plans were not disclosed, nor was one of his pensions, and that's without whatever is in the bank accounts which exist but have not been disclosed).

On this basis, I no longer believe that the original offer would be reasonable, especially given the in excess of £2,500 in legal costs the respondent has incurred again as a result of the applicants por conduct.

What do you reckon?
    I am a Paralegal Consultant.

This means I am not a Solicitor/Barrister/Advocate. I work in Legal Services, however I cannot offer services which are defined as "Reserved Legal Activities" under the Legal Services Act 2007.

Anything posted here should be taken as opinion or general information, not legal advice. It is not possible for me to offer legal advice based on the limited details which can be posted on an open forum. Where possible, I will offer guidance and relevant information, but neither myself nor my practice can be held liable for events resulting from actions taken based on information or opinion shared here.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
    Working...
    X