• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

TENANCY - Want to exercise my rights to "quiet enjoyment" and refuse landlord access

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TENANCY - Want to exercise my rights to "quiet enjoyment" and refuse landlord access

I recently gave my LL my one months written notice, since then she has been unreasonable and outright bitter. She's never been a great LL, didn't lodge our deposit for 6 months but lied and said she did, had water leaks left or months, had sever leaky roof for 7 months deeming rooms in habitable. We are out of our fixed tenancy and on a rolling contract, LL put house on the market in February and we have allowed ALL viewings even though technically not obliged to as we were not given notice to leave. Since then we decided to move and now have 3 weeks left until we leave. Since we have given our notice things have gone sour. She deliberately gave us a bad reference in an attempt to loose our new property, we have had to give estate agents proof that we paid rent on time, that we keep it clean and tidy etc to luckily save our new tenancy. She also gave keys to estate agents and told then they can appear at the property any time without our permission and let themselves in.

I should say say there is a clause in our contract that reads something like we permit perspective tenants or buyers to viewings at reasonable times, but this doesn't warrant people having keys and letting themselves in whenever they like with us not being given notice. So agents have turned up and let themselves in the house while my toddler was in bed, my toddle who has a broken leg I may add. Yesterday I'm hanging washing in the garden whilst my toddler is in her room (in a bungalow) when I hear "mummy mummy!!" Because their is a stranger in our house and having a broken leg she can not move and She's obviously terrified!

Apologies for the long post but need to get the facts out there, what I need to know is can I refuse all viewings now despite the clause in my contract as I'm safeguarding my toddler for one??

secondly because my rights have clearly been infringed, no one should be allowed to enter the property without my consent especially without notice can I now refuse all viewings and exercise my right to "quiet enjoyment"??!!

My LL has said she will be doing viewings all bank holiday weekend whether I agree or not, whether I'm home or not, at any and all times she wishes and have no right to an opinion in it. I should add I'm not interested in keeping thing amicable, it's gone past that, don't need her for reference now or any other such thing (just my deposit to worry about now!) just want to know whether I have the right to refuse her access and whether she can do anything about it and then I am can leave in less then 3 weeks and never look back!

I want to refuse all viewings now because of people just letting themselves in, but I need something concrete and to quote legal referencing please?? Really hope someone out there can help me as I'm at my wits end!
    Tags: None

Re: TENANCY - Want to exercise my rights to "quiet enjoyment" and refuse landlord acc

I might add also that LL also today tells me she's going on holiday and has given estate agents (7 of them) my number to contact for viewings, she did not get consent from me to give my personal number to people so isn't this also and infringement on my rights to privacy and data protection?? Any help or advice is welcomed, I'm in desperate need for help with this; she's making every day a misery for us.....

Comment

Re: TENANCY - Want to exercise my rights to "quiet enjoyment" and refuse landlord acc

if your on a standard AST contract, its the terms REASONABLE thatr the landlord has to explain if you complain. Landlords rights of acsess change after you have given notice. usualy 3 days prior notice and between 8 and 6pm is considered reasonable notice for your landlord to enter the property, but, thay can not demand you give anyone acsess, but they can bring them, themselves Its the landlords responsibility. estate agents, you might expect them to come on there own. but. Your landlady may be out of options.

consider that maybe she is forced to put the house up for sale due to not being able to afford morgaee payments. If she is behind on her payments, the morgaee co will force her to put it up for sale, to avoid reposessing it.

What am trying to say, is she might be a very bad landlady, but if she is struggling, and her arrogance against you may simply be her trying to avoid facts/ put her head in a bucket. People react to financial stress in all sorts of ways.

i have been ion the middle of these more than once as a property manger, the new deposit scheme protects deposits from exactly these types of circumstances
      crazy council ( as in local council,NELC ) as a member of the public, i don't get mad, i get even

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
      Working...
      X