• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Statutory Demand for Council Tax arrears

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Statutory Demand for Council Tax arrears

I have received a Statutory Demand from solicitors acting for my local council. I have substantial council tax arrears. I have applied to the local court to have the SD set aside, and a hearing date has been given for later this month.

In a nutshell:
    I am on means-tested benefits and have been receiving Council Tax benefit for a couple of years now, so the arrears are not increasing.
    The council receive a small payment as a direct deduction from my benefits.
    I have offered them a repayment proposal that would clear the arrears in about 10 years.
    I have provided them with an income and expenditure report to show that the repayments offered are affordable and the maximum available.
    I am buying my house on a mortgage and therefore bankruptcy is to be avoided.

Any advice please on 1) sensible arguments to put forward at the set aside hearing 2) how to negotiate with the solicitors or the council to persuade them to drop the SD and accept my payment proposal.

Thanks!
    Tags: None

Re: Statutory Demand for Council Tax arrears

Hiya (again )

When you say substantial, how much is the SD for ?

Did you receive warning of this action being taken in advance and did you respond to that warning with the offer of a repayment proposal ?

Also what 'defence' did you give on your set aside forms? or was that the repayment proposal ?

Did you get a Means Enquiry form previously ?
    #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps

Comment

The SD is for £10000-odd.

I did not receive any warning from the council that a statutory demand was being considered, but the council previously sent bailiffs to try and collect on liability orders (without success).

My statement on the set-aside application includes the payment proposal and the fact that I have provided an income and expenditure statement.

As I’m sure you will agree, the SD is a pretty blunt tool and I really wanted a way to avoid bankruptcy. I hope I can get agreement to my payment schedule without having a lot of solicitors costs added to the arrears.

Comment

Anybody?

My set-aside application is being heard tomorrow and I would be grateful for any advice that might help things go my way.

Comment

Hopefully someone will be along in a bit.

Comment

Where you say "The council receive a small payment as a direct deduction from my benefit ", is this payment made against your arrears, or is it for something else, eg a non dependent deduction?

Comment

What is the council doing pursuing two forms of enforcement for the same matter at the same time? Also, if the amount is less than £20,000, courts are usually reluctant to grant Bankruptcy Orders unless the judge is, for want of a better description, a rubber-stamping clown.
              Life is a journey on which we all travel, sometimes together, but never alone.

Comment

All you can do is put forwards your proposals for payment. That you have a liability order already for the debt and that you haven't previously made arrangements to pay through the council or the bailiffs. The debt built up before you were in receipt of council tax benefit and I doubt that will have bearing on your case. Be prepared for the set aside being denied.

What were the reasons for not paying the council tax previously ?
                #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps

Comment

May be worth bringing the council's attention to: http://www.lgo.org.uk/complaint-outc...ncil-06b16600/

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                  Working...
                  X