• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

BW Legal/Lowells Claim Form

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BW Legal/Lowells Claim Form

Good evening all

A friend of mine received a claim regarding an old Vanquis account which due to a lot of burying head in sand has now progressed to a claim.

A Defence below was filed and a CPR 31.14 request was made which was the best I could come up with based on what she told me and the fact that in honesty she does owe something to Vanquis the original creditor however the claim was over £3600 and the credit limit was on the card was only £2000 so I figured there may be charges that could be challenged.

Now I know that this is probably a very wobbly Defence and I have advised my friend of this however BW have not provided the documents requested in the CPR 31.14 request and have only sent a letter stating the matter is to proceed.

Not sure where this leaves her now as my ultimate hope based on the fact the defence will not succeed was probably a Tomlin Order agreement thus avoiding judgment on a more realistic balance but without the statement requested in the CPR letter I don't know how much of the balance is charges that may be challenged.

I would welcome further thoughts and advice as my friend has had a tough time the last couple of years and would like to ease her worry over this.

1. The Defendant denies the sums claimed and further denies any agreement has been made with the Claimant in order to repay the balance under the quoted account number.
    2. The Defendant has never opened or requested an account with Lowell Portfoliol Ltd and puts the Claimant to strict proof that such an agreement exists under the Consumer Credit Act.
    3. The Defendant has requested copies of said agreement mentioned in the Particulars of Claim under CPR 31.14 along with a copy of any notice of assignment as this has not been received along with any supporting documentation for this claim which has not been provided to date.
    4. The Defendant has not received any historical account statements from the Claimant in relation to this agreement which would detail how the balance claimed is calculated.
    5. The Defendant asks that the Claimant discontinue the claim so the matter can be referred back to the Claimant to provide the requested information and documentation which will support their position and in order to achieve settlement between the parties thus saving further expense and court time.
    Tags: None

Re: BW Legal/Lowells Claim Form

Well,

you could add a few things:

Have you asked for the copy of the default notice under Section 87 of the CCA 1974, along with proof of service? - they are required to serve this on your friend prior to court action

Have you looked at making an application to the court that they either provide the requested documentation under CPR 31.14 or the claim be struck out?

If you look at the thread HERE on CPR 31.14 it advises what to do if they fail to comply - thje courts are currently very hot on this following a ruling in Mitchell v MGN that has made sure the CPR time limits (and other elements of the CPR) must be strictly adhered to.

Comment

Re: BW Legal/Lowells Claim Form

Thank you for your response I have read up on that and this was my line of thought.

Do you think such an application is risky at this early stage what with the cost involved and I presume this would be looking for an unless order being issued?

Would you write to BW Legal to advise them of this course of action and give them say a further 14 days to provide the documents?

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Support LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
      See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
      X