• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Lowell group / capital one

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lowell group / capital one

Hi all

Apologies if this post is in the wrong section!! Some advice required please. I have recently received a letter from Red collection agency acting on behalf of Lowell group requesting an amount from a capital one card. I have recently looked at my credit file on credit expert and this debt is no longer shown as a account on my file. Am I right in thinking this debt is now statute barred? I've made no acknowledgement or payment in the last 6 years so I'm wondering what action I should now take.

Thanking you in advance for any advice

bean765
    Tags: None

Re: Lowell group / capital one

its out of time and let them no that

Comment

Any links to letters I could use to tell them this would be much appreciated

Comment

Originally posted by Bean765 View Post
        Hi all

Apologies if this post is in the wrong section!! Some advice required please. I have recently received a letter from Red collection agency acting on behalf of Lowell group requesting an amount from a capital one card. I have recently looked at my credit file on credit expert and this debt is no longer shown as a account on my file. Am I right in thinking this debt is now statute barred? I've made no acknowledgement or payment in the last 6 years so I'm wondering what action I should now take.

Thanking you in advance for any advice

bean765
        Originally posted by Bean765 View Post
        Any links to letters I could use to tell them this would be much appreciated
        Apologies for the late reply

As the debt is statute barred, it probably doesn't matter if you don't send anything immediately, but if they bother you again, here it is:

Dear Sirs

Statute barred account xxxxx
        You have contacted me with regards to the above account. The last payment to this debt was made over 6 years ago and no more acknowledgement or payment has been made since that time.

Unless you can provide evidence of payment or written acknowledgment from me within this period, under Section 5 of the Limitation Act 1980, you’ll no longer be able to take court action to recover the debt. Any court claim will be defended on this basis.

Paragraph 7.15.8 of FCA Consumer Credit Sourcebook (CONC) states: "A firm must not continue to demand payment from a customer after the customer has stated that he will not be paying the debt because it is statute barred."

If you have evidence that this debt isn’t statute barred then please send it to me within 21 days. Otherwise, please confirm that you won’t pursue me for this debt.

Yours faithfully

Comment

My husband had a letter from them about a debt that was deffo statute barred, we ignored the first letter then we got a second letter from red, so we sent the statute barred letter and we got a reply back saying that they would not be chasing him for it anymore and the balance was zero,
          So for peace of mind I would just sent it x

Comment

Originally posted by Shirley Temple View Post
            My husband had a letter from them about a debt that was deffo statute barred, we ignored the first letter then we got a second letter from red, so we sent the statute barred letter and we got a reply back saying that they would not be chasing him for it anymore and the balance was zero,
            So for peace of mind I would just sent it x
            I agree, besides, creditors can still issue a claim for SBd debt, you would then have to go through the process of defending the claim, etc. even when SBd is an absolute defence, it's a lot more hassle once it reaches that stage, so better to get your letter in there first. :thumb:

Comment

Originally posted by FlamingParrot View Post
              I agree, besides, creditors can still issue a claim for SBd debt, you would then have to go through the process of defending the claim, etc. even when SBd is an absolute defence, it's a lot more hassle once it reaches that stage, so better to get your letter in there first. :thumb:
              I agree with FlaminParot here

Ive had lowells and carter chase me for a credit card debt, which I know to be statute barred.... I fired off the letter before they even threatened about court action!!, its been over a week now since I had the previous letter saying the account is on hold... so fingers crossed, il be told that the balance is zero to.

Comment

Hi

im interested if you have recieved any furthers coms from lowells since your stbrrd letter, I've just recieved another one today so I'm printing my letter off and sending tomorrow....

Comment

My husband had one from Lowell's and we ignored it, then we got a second this time from red (same group I believe)
                  so we then sent the SB letter and around 3 weeks later we got another letter stating that they will no longer be chasing him for the debt and that the balance was zero,

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                  Working...
                  X