• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Recieved CCJ - Payment due but would like to contest

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Recieved CCJ - Payment due but would like to contest

Hi All,

I've just been handed a CCJ letter (headed 'Judgment for Claimant'?) my step farther was issued which has a payment due date of today.
    For some reason or other he didn't say anything about it so this is the first I've heard, he's now shown me then claim for, which he ignored.

Anyway...

The amount is for roughly £1200 at £50 a month, the first of which is due today.

The problem is that I'd like to contest this, I don't know what it is, and he 'thinks' its a credit card 'from a while ago', the last card I knew he had is from a long time ago so possibly over 6 years meaning this is status barred if I'm correct?

I don't want to make anything worse and would rather not have bailiffs at the door so my question is, do I make the payment today to keep with the CCJ or does that cause a problem when trying to contest?

If I can at least find out what the debt is for I'll at least know what we are actually paying.

Thank you.
    Tony
    Tags: None

Re: Recieved CCJ - Payment due but would like to contest

Originally posted by SomeonesSon View Post
    Hi All,

I've just been handed a CCJ letter (headed 'Judgment for Claimant'?) my step farther was issued which has a payment due date of today.
    For some reason or other he didn't say anything about it so this is the first I've heard, he's now shown me then claim for, which he ignored.
    Are you positive that he received a claim and it was ignored? Is there any chance he may not have received it? Because it that had been the case, he could have grounds to apply for set aside.

Anyway...

The amount is for roughly £1200 at £50 a month, the first of which is due today.

The problem is that I'd like to contest this, I don't know what it is, and he 'thinks' its a credit card 'from a while ago', the last card I knew he had is from a long time ago so possibly over 6 years meaning this is status barred if I'm correct?
    It would be SBd if there were no payments or written acknowledgment in the past 6 years.

I don't want to make anything worse and would rather not have bailiffs at the door so my question is, do I make the payment today to keep with the CCJ or does that cause a problem when trying to contest?

If I can at least find out what the debt is for I'll at least know what we are actually paying.

Thank you.
    Tony
    While it's true that a creditor who has obtained judgment can use bailiffs as a method of enforcing a judgment, they would have to apply to the court for a warrant of execution, so they won't be turning up this weekend.

Comment

You guys may want to look at applying for set aside, see below:https://www.nationaldebtline.org/EW/...t/Default.aspx
      Default judgment

You may have a default judgment made against you where there was no hearing and you have not sent back the ‘acknowledgment of service’ form to say you intend to put in a defence. You may also have a default judgment made against you if you have not sent in the reply form asking for time to pay within the time limits.
      When must the court set aside the judgment?

The court must set aside the default judgment if you:
      • have paid the whole amount owed (including any interest and costs) before the date the creditor entered judgment;
      • sent back the acknowledgment of service form within the time limit;
      • put in a defence within the time limit; or
      • sent in the reply form within the time limit asking for more time to pay.

The court must set aside the judgment in these circumstances, even if you do not have a defence.
      There is no time limit for making an application on these grounds.
      When is it up to the court to decide?

The court may agree to set aside the default judgment even if you did not send in a reply form within the time limit if:
      • the court thinks you have a real chance of a successful defence to the claim; or
      • the court thinks there is some other good reason why the judgment should be set aside.

There is no time limit for making an application on these grounds but the court will look at whether you made the application ‘promptly’.

good reasons for setting aside

If you did not deal with the papers or go to a hearing because you were ill, in hospital or away and have a defence then this may be a good reason to set aside a judgment.

The court may agree to set aside the default judgment even if you did not send in a reply form within the time limit if:
      • the court thinks you have a real chance of a successful defence to the claim; or
      • the court thinks there is some other good reason why the judgment should be set aside.

There is no time limit for making an application on these grounds but the court will look at whether you made the application ‘promptly’.
      He'd need to submit an application on an application notice (N244), and send it to the court. There is an £80 court fee which can be waived in certain circumstances. Form ex160a provides full details.

Comment

Once again FlamingParrot,

Thank you! :tinysmile_grin_t:

He waved a letter at me earlier that I assumed was the claim form, I'll check later when he gets back.

I'll apply so we can at the very least find out what it is.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Support LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
        See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
        X