• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

DVLA took away cat 'A'

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DVLA took away cat 'A'

A good friend of mine is having problems with the DVLA, he renewed his driving license a couple of months ago as his old license was about to expire (11 year update).
    When got his new license back he noticed that category 'A' had been missed off, he contacted them by phone only to be told that their system doesn't make mistakes so therefore it is up to him to prove it. He told them that he's had a full motorcycle license since 1986 and gave them the name of the examiner and his pass date and even asked them to check their records to see if a 750cc was registered to him at his address to the past several years, they did check and confirmed this but said this is not enough proof.
    They told him he'll have to redo his test if he wants a full bike license as the onus is on him to not the DVLA.

Thing is you have to send them your old license before you receive your new one AND soon as they've inputted your details and categories into their system they destroy your old license, I know he should have photocopied his old license but he honestly thought he wouldn't need to do it as the DVLA would have all his details already on their system where they've been since he first got a license.

Is there any way he can fight them on this? it's going to cost him around £500 to redo his direct access test, I've heard of the DVLA doing this to other folk all of which are bikers "I'm starting to think the DVLA have something against bikers"
    Tags: None

Re: DVLA took away cat 'A'

Hi Swifty, it has nothing to do with an aversion against bikers, they are just downright incompetent

Make a strong complaint to

Chief Executive
    DVLA
    Swansea
    SA6 7JL

He MUST include
    • full name
    • date of birth
    • address
    • any current/previous bike registration numbers he has owned

A reply should be sent to him within 2 weeks

Tell him to include that if he doesn't get a satisfactory outcome, he will refer the complaint to the Department for Transport’s Independent Complaints Assessor (ICA). The ICA will decide if they can review your complaint and contact you with their decision. If the ICA conducts a review, they will send you and the DVLA a report with their findings.

Next step from there is your MP, who will contact the DVLA on your behalf or you can ask them to refer your complaint to the Parliamentary Ombudsman http://www.ombudsman.org.uk/
    Any opinions I give are my own. Any advice I give is without liability. If you are unsure, please seek qualified legal advice.

IF WE HAVE HELPED YOU PLEASE CONSIDER UPGRADING TO VIP - click here

Comment

Originally posted by Tools View Post
      Hi Swifty, it has nothing to do with an aversion against bikers, they are just downright incompetent

Make a strong complaint to

Chief Executive
      DVLA
      Swansea
      SA6 7JL

He MUST include
      • full name
      • date of birth
      • address
      • any current/previous bike registration numbers he has owned

A reply should be sent to him within 2 weeks

Tell him to include that if he doesn't get a satisfactory outcome, he will refer the complaint to the Department for Transport’s Independent Complaints Assessor (ICA). The ICA will decide if they can review your complaint and contact you with their decision. If the ICA conducts a review, they will send you and the DVLA a report with their findings.

Next step from there is your MP, who will contact the DVLA on your behalf or you can ask them to refer your complaint to the Parliamentary Ombudsman http://www.ombudsman.org.uk/
      Thanks for the info, I've passed it onto him so the balls now in his court.
      I'll keep you informed

Comment

This is why, prior to sending any licence document back to the DVLA, it is necessary to get a certified copy made. The DVLA is not only incompetent, it's dishonest as well.

Comment

I've heard that this sort of mistake is still going on today, Swifty, how did you get on?A few years ago now I paid them £5 and got a copy of all the information that they already hold about my licence, thankfully the new one came back OK with all groups still remaining, I still have their letter safely stored, my question is, is this still valid/enough proof for them today? I'll be sending off my licence again soon, just due to a change of address.

Comment

Before you send your licence off do what i did

I have just moved to Northern Ireland and i have had to get a Northern Ireland driving licence being a resident

What you do is contact DVLA by phone and ask them to send you a certificate of entitlement. It is at no cost

I got mine within a week and keep it safe just incase you need to refer to it in the future wilth entitlements

Comment

Originally posted by judgemental24 View Post
              Before you send your licence off do what i did

I have just moved to Northern Ireland and i have had to get a Northern Ireland driving licence being a resident

What you do is contact DVLA by phone and ask them to send you a certificate of entitlement. It is at no cost

I got mine within a week and keep it safe just incase you need to refer to it in the future wilth entitlements
              Oh really, it's free now too? I don't suppose you have the particular number that you called?

Comment

Just call DVLA at swansea and ask for the licence department

When a human voice answers just request the certificate of entitlement

If you have a DVLA executive local office near you then use that

Comment

Or you could simply look on the GOV.UK website https://www.gov.uk/view-driving-licence

I have used this before and you can view/save the details, it's free and instant, no need to wait for it to arrive in the post
                  Any opinions I give are my own. Any advice I give is without liability. If you are unsure, please seek qualified legal advice.

Comment

Originally posted by Tools View Post
                    Or you could simply look on the GOV.UK website https://www.gov.uk/view-driving-licence

I have used this before and you can view/save the details, it's free and instant, no need to wait for it to arrive in the post
                    I have just done that, printed off a copy,...just wondering if that would be proof enough for the DVLA? They seem to be a law to themselves??

Anyone know for sure?

Comment

Why not

It has come direct from a Government agency

Comment

One would truly hope so but I just don't know,....you would have thought that documentation from the Police on that chap being a motorcycle cop for X amount of years were good enough but oh no, he had to take another motorcycle test in the end.

Comment

That is the official DVLA data that they hold on you. If there are any discrepancies when you get your license back then contact them with that print out.

Comment

I've just found out, that in the case of a change of address, this can be done over the phone/Internet without having to send your license back first,....that's the ideal solution.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                            Working...
                            X