• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Stop by police during routine check baliff took my pco reg.taxi

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stop by police during routine check baliff took my pco reg.taxi

I was stop by the police (routine check they said)on my way back from dropping off a fare at gatwick airport,the police did their checks everything was fine, at this point a baliff introduced himself as being from newlyn plc,he said I had two unpaid parking tickets on the car and if I did not pay the full amount there and then he was seizing the car.i did not have the money or means to pay.at this point I went and sat in the car,a police officer came over and asked for the key which I stupidly hand to him.i phoned my baliffhelp .com they confirmed to me that the baliff could not take my taxi.they said I should just drive off,at this point took the spare key from glovebox and started the car up serveral policemen then came and stood around the car to stop me from driving off,then a baliff came and grabbed the sparekey.
    finnally I had to leave the car as I had to collect my mother from the doctors.
    help
    what can I do?

Re: Stop by police during routine check baliff took my pco reg.taxi

Hackney Cab or Private Hire? Did you know about the tickets?

Comment

Hi private hire no I did not

Comment

How long have you had the car? Could the tickets have been from a previous owner? have you moved address since buying the car? Is it on any finance?

What paperwork were you given?

Comment

I have moved in with my 72 year old to act as her carer,
          she has been putting post in bin without checking.
          no finance on car.

Comment

No paperwork given by baliff all details were on his ipad which he would not show me

Comment

Ah then you may have received notification. I have asked someone els who is more knowledgeable about these things to have a look. I don't know how often he checks his messages though. In the meantime there will be others who may be able to help.

Comment

Thanks

Comment

Go to the top right of this page and look at Notifications.

Comment

Speaking to him now

Comment

I am rather staggered to suddenly be involved in no less than four joint police/bailiff operations at the same time including the OP's. Three have referred to me within the past 48 hours and the fourth is a revival of an incident which occurred last June.

This illegal practice has mushroomed from one bailiff company to three and once again the Met has shown that abnormal is normal to them.

I will be dealing with all this shortly but in the meantime memebrs migh like to read parts of a transcript between a sceptical Judge Cryan of Clerkenwell & Shoreditch County and the less than forthright bailiff he was cross examining over his part in such dubious joint operations. I was in attendance.

HHJ Cryan - Had it occurred to you at any stage that what might be happening could be of doubtful legality?

Bailiff - No Your Honour

and later

HHJ Cryan - Some people might be sceptical about whether what you are describing to me is the real world, or not. What actually happens is that you are stopped by a police officer as a motorist, who shows you his warrant card, says he is carrying out checks. ‘Here is the bailiff. He is going to carry out checks as well’.

The entire impression that is given is that this is some lawful stopping with which the motorist has no right to object, even after the police have finished their business. Would that be a false impression?

Bailiff
                      - It wouldn’t be a false impression, no, your Honour

Comment

Many thanks for dropping by FP.

Comment

There can be no doubt that both bailiff and police behaved unlawfully.

Make a formal complaint against Police. Make it abundantly clear that the matter is not suitable for informal resolution and that you will not be receptive to threats or any other form of pressure. Make it clear that if a satisfactory result is not forthcoming, the matter will be taken up with the IPCC.

This seems to be a developing trend. But then, given that capita (which owns several DCA's), has taken over the back-office functions of several police forces, perhaps it shouldn't come as a surprise.

Fairparking - please keep this updated. It might even merit a sticky for ease of reference in the future.

Comment

The whole ANPR scram should be abolished, it is a make it up as we go along exercise.

Comment

The OP should make a formal complaint to the relevant Borough Commander, copying the complaint to the Commissioner of the Metropolitan Police and the IPCC if Hogan-Howe decides to be a tit.

Police officers do not have any power, in law, to stop motor vehicles under the circumstances described by the OP. In this respect, they acted unlawfully.

However, notwithstanding, these operations breach Schedule 1, Human Rights Act 1998, in particular Article 1 of the First Protocol and, if the OP is innocent of any transgression, Article 6 also. Section 6, Human Rights Act 1998. Section 6 makes it clear that it is unlawful for any public authority, commercial entity acting on behalf of or as a public authority or any person acting on behalf of a public authority to perform any act which is incompatible with a person's rights under the European Convention on Human Rights.

In the circumstances described by the OP, the Metropolitan Police, the London Borough involved, Newlyn PLC, the bailiff and individual police officers involved are liable.
                              Life is a journey on which we all travel, sometimes together, but never alone.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                              Working...
                              X