• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Statutory Demands FCA Rules and Guidance from April 1st

Collapse
Important !
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Statutory Demands FCA Rules and Guidance from April 1st

Detailed rules for the FCA
    regime for consumer credit

This instrument comes into force on 1 April 2014.

Proportionality

7.3.14 R (1) A firm must not take disproportionate action against a customer in
    arrears or default.
    [Note: paragraphs 7.14 (box) of ILG and 3.7t of DCG]

(2) In accordance with (1) a firm must not, in particular, apply to court for
    an order for sale or submit a bankruptcy petition, without first having
    fully explored any more proportionate options.
    [Note: paragraph 7.14 (box) of ILG]

7.3.15 G A firm should not make undue, excessive or otherwise unfair use of statutory
    demands (within the meaning of section 268 of the Insolvency Act 1986)
    when seeking to recover a debt from a customer.
    [Note: paragraphs 7.10 of ILG and 3.7n of DCG]
    #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps
    Tags: None

Re: Statutory Demands FCA Rules and Guidance from April 1st

Oh dear

Guessing this will make for VERY unpleasant reading for someone beginning with 'L'

Comment

2009 - OFT requirements http://oft.gov.uk/shared_oft/press_r...quirements.pdf

As a result, 1st Credit Ltd and its associated companies must:

refrain from issuing statutory demands warning of bankruptcy where it is unlikely that proceedings will be initiated

not discuss legal action with consumers unless it is likely that such action will be taken

ensure that sensitive cases involving vulnerable individuals, for example those with mental health or medical problems, are dealt with appropriately, and
      ensure that all matters of concern raised with them by the free advice sector and other third parties are dealt with appropriately.

1st Credit must also report back to the OFT every six months providing statistics regarding the number of enforcement actions it has taken against debtors.

Figures 1st March to 1st March.

LOWELL
      718 gazette documents, from 01/03/2011 to 01/03/2012 and containing the word(s) 'Petitioner: Lowell'
      509 gazette documents, from 01/03/2012 to 01/03/2013 and containing the word(s) 'Petitioner: Lowell'
      306 gazette documents, from 01/03/2013 to 01/03/2014 and containing the word(s) 'Petitioner: Lowell'

1st CREDIT
      201 gazette documents, from 01/03/2012 to 01/03/2013 and containing the word(s) 'Petitioner: 1st Credit'
      83 gazette documents, from 01/03/2013 to 01/03/2014 and containing the word(s) 'Petitioner: 1st Credit'
      #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Comment

Good grief, those are some shocking results

Comment

Indeed. Reducing though

7.14 of ILG box is

Proportionality
          7.14 Taking steps to repossess the borrower's home, other than as a
          last resort.
          The OFT would not expect a creditor to take disproportionate action against
          borrowers in respect of arrears or default. This would include such matters as
          applying to the court for an order for sale or for the borrower to be made
          bankrupt, without having explored other alternative, more proportionate options
          for recouping arrears.
          39 Lasting Powers of Attorney do not exist in Northern Ireland. An enduring power of attorney
          can be granted and must be lodged in the High Court through the Office of Care and Protection.
          OFT1107 | 71
          In the OFT's view, it would not be disproportionate for creditors to apply for
          charging orders (or inhibitions in Scotland) against a borrower's home as a
          means of securing arrears owed to them. However, we would consider it to be
          an unfair and irresponsible lending practice for creditors to use the threat of
          court action followed by a charging order (or inhibition) to intimidate borrowers
          in financial difficulties to pay more than they could reasonably afford.
          We consider that other possible options for dealing with the problem should be
          explored prior to resorting to taking steps to repossess the borrower's property
          and that proper consideration should be given to any reasonable offer by the
          borrower to pay by instalments.
          The OFT would further expect second charge lenders in England and Wales to
          have regard to the requirements of the Pre-action Protocol for Possession Claims
          Based on Mortgage or Home Purchase Plan Arrears in Respect of Residential
          Property (PAP) as set out by the Civil Justice Council in October 200840. The
          aims of the PAP are to ensure that a lender and a borrower act fairly and
          reasonably with each other in resolving any matter concerning arrears, and to
          encourage more pre-action contact in an effort to seek agreement between the
          parties on alternatives to repossession.
          The Pre-action Protocol on Possession Proceedings applies to all mortgage
          repossession cases in Northern Ireland.41 The Home Owner and Debtor
          Protection (Scotland) Act 2010 provides for pre-action requirements to be
          placed on secured lenders in Scotland.
          AND 3.7t of DCG is

3.7 Examples of unfair or improper practices are as follows:

t. taking steps to repossess the debtor's home, other than as a last resort.
          #staysafestayhome

Comment

Originally posted by ncf355 View Post
            Oh dear

Guessing this will make for VERY unpleasant reading for someone beginning with 'L'

Especially if it appears in conjunction with a story on it by a certain national media organization.

Comment

:wub: subtle EXC, subtle
              #staysafestayhome

Comment

Oh yes, I'm liking...........

Comment

With the new rules in mind I wonder whether it may be worth people who have got through the Stat Demand process to write to the FCA with something like this letter we prepared agesss ago to complain to the OFT. Changing references to the FCA rules and guidance but still quoting the 1st credit undertakings ?

YOUR NAME AND ADDRESS.

FAO Ray Watson

Dear Sir

I wish to make a formal complaint about a company called xxxxxxxxxxxx (Lowell etc) I have recently received a statutory demand which I intend to set aside due to a major dispute / which I have set aside in my local court, and despite (no response from xxxxxxx / them not appearing in court) / to which I have not responded, and it is clear to see that as the time has run out to present a bankruptcy petition / It should be mentioned that at no time have they attempted any kind of personal service which I believe is an integral part of the Insolvency procedures. I feel they have used the demand as a debt collection tool.

I understand that another debt collection agency were given 'requirements' by the Office Of Fair Trading back in 2009. In your requirements imposition you clearly stated to 1st Credit that.

refrain from issuing statutory demands warning of bankruptcy where it is unlikely that proceedings will be initiated

Can you please clarify to me if I am correct in stating that all debt collection agencies compliance departments should comply with this ?

I realise that you will not be able to get involved in individual cases, but I would like to bring this to your attention.

Yours sincerely
                  #staysafestayhome

Comment

Originally posted by Amethyst View Post
                    Changing references to the FCA rules and guidance but still quoting the 1st credit undertakings ?
                    And the Gazette petition data?

Comment

Originally posted by EXC View Post
                      Especially if it appears in conjunction with a story on it by a certain national media organization.
                      :wub: subtle EXC, subtle
                      Too subtle for me

Comment

Detailed rules for the FCA
                        regime for consumer credit

This instrument comes into force on 1 April 2014.

Amethyst, can you kindly provide a link to the FCA document. Do these rules apply to a Statutory Demand issued against an individual for collection of Council Tax arrears?

Thanks in advance.

Comment

Unfortunately not, the rules are from CONC ( Consumer Credit sourcebook ) and deal only with Consumer Credit regulated lending.

You should start a new thread regarding the statutory demand you have received for the council tax as you will need to deal with it quite quickly.
                          #staysafestayhome

Comment

Unfortunately not, the rules are from CONC ( Consumer Credit sourcebook ) and deal only with Consumer Credit regulated lending.

You should start a new thread regarding the statutory demand you have received for the council tax as you will need to deal with it quite quickly.
                            Done. Thanks for your advice.

Comment

Hi
                              got any recent figures from the gazzette to how they have complied with the rulings since 2014

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                              Working...
                              X