• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

MBNA / Restons Court Claim

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MBNA / Restons Court Claim

Hi all, I'm a newbie here and have been really impressed by the help and information you give
    I've not posted on forums before and I think I put this in the wrong place originally (as reply to another thread) Apologies.

As many I had financial problems 4/5 years ago with MBNA and now having to deal with Arrow Global.
    Had some very worrying times and tough decision's were made which am still dealing with.

I've been following a thread 0f MsRed, as I have exactly the same situation with Arrow Global/Restons.
    CCBC claim was issued on 21/02/2014 and I sent in AOS 02/03/2014.

Does this automatically give me 28 days to prepare defence?

The POC are almost identical format as MsRed above ie;

"The Claimant claims payment of the overdue balance due from the Defendant(s) under a contract between the Defendant and MBNA dated on or about 18/07/2008 and assigned to the Claimant on 28/06/2010 in the sum of xxxxx.50.
    Particulars a/c no: XXXXXXXXXXXX9329
    Date Item Value
    29/11/13 Default Balance xxxxx.xx

Claimants are Arrow Global Ltd.

Requested CCA from Arrow Global on 03/03/2014 & response received was:

Dear...

We thank you for your recent letter and acknowledge your request for documentation pursuant to the Consumer Credit Act 1974.

We do not accept that we are the creditor as envisaged by the above statute. However, we are willing to assist in obtaining that which has been requested. We will now process your request for documentation from the creditor and will revert n due course.

We confirm that all collection activity will be suspended pending provision of the documents.

We return the payment of £1.00.

CPR sent to Restons on 03/03/14
    Restons responded saying they do not reply to unsigned request!! Amazing as the POC was signed as Claimants Solicitor "Restons Solicitors Ltd"
    I intend to resend CPR request with tamper proof signature.

Will reply to Arrow with the letter as detailed in MsRed thread re "Refusal to accept they are Creditor"

When should I start submit documents in defence, or for claim to be struck off?

Thanks for advise. It really does help
    Tags: None

Re: MBNA / Restons Court Claim

Usual garbage from Miss L Tipping. If you resend it signed she will reply with her standard template response saying the items requested are not "mentioned" in the particulars so cpr 31 doesn't apply. If you request it under CPR 18 her usual reply is the docs are not necessary or proportionate in order for you to understand the claim, or some such carp.

If it were me I would throw it back down their throat and say I do not reply to unsigned claim forms and if they want to try again this time with a verified statement of truth as per cpr 22, pointing out practice direction 3.10. You'd have thought that someone with the title Chartered Legal Executive would know the fundamental basics of how to issue a claim form, although Miss Tippytoes doesn't appear to be the brightest spark in the box.

Comment

Thanks for reply, it is good to get positives for once.

Sent out replies to Restons and Arrow yesterday by recorded and Arrow's was signed for today.
      Good old Royal Mail tried to deliver Reston's at 07:01 this morning and have returned to sorting office.
      Wonder why!!
      I did look at emailing the letter to them but couldn't find an email address on any of their paper work. Any ideas?

Will let you know response as soon as arrives.

Once again many thanks

Comment

I've used: info@restons.co.uk
        They normally send a response from A M Jones which says either read or not read. Whether read or not at least it confirms they received it.

Comment

Had replies from both Arrow (Claimant) & Restons (solicitors).

Arrows reply again states;

"We refer to your letter dated 08/03/2014 and confirm we still await receipt of copy documentation from the originating creditor.
          As previously advised we do not accept the we are the creditor as envisaged by the above statute and therefore are not obligated to provide you with the documentation you require within a limit of 12 days.
          We are, however, willing to assist in obtaining that which is requested and have contacted the originating creditor to process your request for documentation. We will revert in due course.

Please be advised that your account is on hold and we can confirm that all collection activity has been suspended pending provision of the documents"

Restons reply after CPR 31.14 request;

"We acknowledge receipt of your recent correspondence dated 08 March 2014.
          Please note that we have been instructed by our client Arrow Global Ltd to place your account on hold pending their investigation following your recent request
          ."

Does this mean that they were never in possession of the paperwork to bring this claim?
          Are they stalling for time and using the court process to do this?
          Should I apply this Claim struck off using the N244?

I'm a bit at a loss as to how to proceed.
          Any advise gratefully received.

Comment

Does this mean that they were never in possession of the paperwork to bring this claim?

Yes, yes and, not just yet, Take their letter as an agreement to extend the time for you to file a defence by 28 days, under CPR 15.5, and email the court to that effect -just as back up so they don't go behind your back and try to get a default judgment. Respond to the solicitors that they have until X date (14 days before deadline) before you apply for an unless order to ensure their compliance in a timely manner, as they should have the paperwork sorted before bringing the claim. That should put you in control of timescales and ensure they don't leave this hanging over you for months while they scrabble about for paperwork.
            #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps

Comment

Probably.

Certainly.

I'd either apply for the particulars of claim to be struck out due to the faulty statement of truth ( I'm assuming the claim is signed by restons and not a person) or an unless order for compliance with 31.14. Probably the latter since you already started this route by sending the request and it not being complied with.

M1

Comment

crossed posts xx same answers more or less tho, I'm just more forgiving xx
                #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps

Comment

Thanks
                  Will start process

Comment

Thanks

Is there a template for CPR 15.5, or am I just being a knumb skull?

Once again thank you

Comment

Please find attached/below an agreement with the claimant for an extension to the time to file a defence until xxxxxx.

M1

Comment

Does the 28 day extension start from date of sending email or from end of original 28 days after Acknowledgement of Service?

Comment

Original i.e 5 days service +14+14+28 =61 days total from date of form.

M1

Comment

Many thanks again, I will keep you posted

Comment

Sent my letter to Restons with date set for response as 9th April (Deadline being 23rd).
                              Also emailed the court the letter which they have acknowledged receiving and have added to file.

Date fast approaching but don't want to tempt fate so am sitting on defence prep for now.
                              Any tips on application for "unless order" appreciated.

Many thanks

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Support LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
                              See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
                              X