• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Account maturity

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Account maturity

Hi guys, had a bit of a problem with TSB today. I have never been a big borrower but have a tiny little overdraft that never gets used. Had my dear old mother round and she logged into her online banking and was showing me all these pre-approved offers. I have never seen them and proceeded to check with TSB why this was the case (no CCJ's ect). Upon checking it has emerged that my account which I opened when I was 10 years old (over 20 years ago) is still classed as a minor account with no borrowing allowed (including mortgage, credit card, additional overdraft ect). Ironic considering my wife has been added on the account and I do have an overdraft (despite it being tiny)

My question is this, if for 20 years all I have had is a kiddies bank account and according to TSB I was blocked from borrowing, would that have affected my ability to borrow in the past and could it affect my ability to borrow in the future ? It struck odd when my wife added me to her account and they said I couldn't be a card holder (maybe they thought I was a 10 year old, im pretty short)

It may be a trivial thing but its really bugging me. Any thoughts would be appreciated.
    Tags: None

Re: Account maturity

Originally posted by FTW Mamuskills View Post
    My question is this, if for 20 years all I have had is a kiddies bank account and according to TSB I was blocked from borrowing, would that have affected my ability to borrow in the past and could it affect my ability to borrow in the future?
    Quite possibly.

It struck odd when my wife added me to her account and they said I couldn't be a card holder (maybe they thought I was a 10 year old ...)
    Looking at this, there's a good chance that you're right.

What to do about it? Not much, I suspect, other than getting them to correct their error. You could point out their obligations under the Data Protection Act 1998.

It might be worth checking the Credit Reference Agencies (Experian, et al), just in case there are any bizarre anomalies showing there, too.

Comment

Ill check out Experian and any others, many thanks for your advice.

Comment

Originally posted by FTW Mamuskills View Post
        Hi guys, had a bit of a problem with TSB today. I have never been a big borrower but have a tiny little overdraft that never gets used. Had my dear old mother round and she logged into her online banking and was showing me all these pre-approved offers. I have never seen them and proceeded to check with TSB why this was the case (no CCJ's ect). Upon checking it has emerged that my account which I opened when I was 10 years old (over 20 years ago) is still classed as a minor account with no borrowing allowed (including mortgage, credit card, additional overdraft ect). Ironic considering my wife has been added on the account and I do have an overdraft (despite it being tiny)

My question is this, if for 20 years all I have had is a kiddies bank account and according to TSB I was blocked from borrowing, would that have affected my ability to borrow in the past and could it affect my ability to borrow in the future ? It struck odd when my wife added me to her account and they said I couldn't be a card holder (maybe they thought I was a 10 year old, im pretty short)

It may be a trivial thing but its really bugging me. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

The post is really confusing to me and I'll explain why.

1) You state you have a kiddies account yet have an overdraft. That NEVER happens since you are not allowed any form of credit until you are 18 years of age.#

2) You need to ask how it is classed as a minor's account since clearly it is not as the overdraft is on the account.

3) The answer to borrowing is NO, since that anomaly would have come up and clearly that would have been corrected at the time. Plus you are asking us to judge a credit score based on one single parameter which is not how it is done since income and expenditure would have been more at issue.

4) With regards to your wife's account, were you a joint party or a third party to the account since a third party would not normally get a card on the account. Plus what reason was actually given for you not receiving a card on a joint account?

The above 4 things have bugged me from the post to be honest.
        "Family means that no one gets forgotten or left behind"
        (quote from David Ogden Stiers)

Comment

Why would any account stop the OP or anyone borrowing from another lender?

Comment

Originally posted by leclerc View Post
            The post is really confusing to me and I'll explain why.

1) You state you have a kiddies account yet have an overdraft. That NEVER happens since you are not allowed any form of credit until you are 18 years of age.#

2) You need to ask how it is classed as a minor's account since clearly it is not as the overdraft is on the account.

3) The answer to borrowing is NO, since that anomaly would have come up and clearly that would have been corrected at the time. Plus you are asking us to judge a credit score based on one single parameter which is not how it is done since income and expenditure would have been more at issue.

4) With regards to your wife's account, were you a joint party or a third party to the account since a third party would not normally get a card on the account. Plus what reason was actually given for you not receiving a card on a joint account?

The above 4 things have bugged me from the post to be honest.
            1: Im unsure of why i managed to get an overdraft with it being a minor's account (1 of the reasons I posted here) I have been told today I have a block on borrowing (despite having an overdraft) so yep really confused me quite massively too.
            2: It was classed as a minor account because I was 10 years old when I opened it. I dont work for TSB so wouldnt know why it wasnt switched automatically and that was a huge concern to me.
            3: Im not asking for a credit score, Im asking if that 1 single parameter could have affected it which im looking into by obtaining me credit file at the moment.
            4: I was under the impression I was a joint party (we provided marriage certificated ect) but will double check it. I would be pretty narked off if im the 3rd party and the milkman is the joint account holder.

I appreciate there are areas of concern and thats why im here to be honest, im shocked and really want to look into the details of it. Just want to make sense of it to be honest.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
            Working...
            X